Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Core 2 duo E8400 help - compatability issue?

Last response: in CPUs
April 4, 2009 5:23:48 PM

Dell sold me an E8400 upgrade for my Optiplex 745. Today when I installed it I get nothing but a fast fan. It goes through some of the boot sequence - the HDD spins, CD/RW checks and then the power button goes orange and the fan turns on high speed.

The dell guys looked up this PC and told me that this chip upgrade would work - i know the interface is the same but there is something obviously wrong since the PC will not boot and operate with the new E8400.

There was no install CD with the CPU - is there anything I need to do prior to this install like upgrade bios, firmware, OS, drivers, etc.?

PC is a Dell Optiplex 745, Service Tag BY60MC1, had a Pentium D 2.80ghz processor, trying to upgrade to a E8400 3.0ghz processor, Runs XP Pro, 4GB RAM... I have no idea what other information you might need but I'll be happy to supply it.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

winstontj on AIM as well if anyone is around.
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 6:42:50 PM

sounds like you need to clear the CMOS. Should be instructions in the manual or on their website.
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 7:50:08 PM

That mobo doesn't support the FSB of that cpu. You'd be better off with a newer mobo or a cpu such as the e7400 or e7500.
Related resources
April 4, 2009 8:08:42 PM

aford10 said:
That mobo doesn't support the FSB of that cpu. You'd be better off with a newer mobo or a cpu such as the e7400 or e7500.

Are you sure? Physiclly changing the CPU is about my level of technical expertise when it comes to PCs so you guys probably know more than I do however Dell sold me this CPU as an upgrade to my existing PC. They went so far as to look up the build specs of the PC and then they reccomended several CPU options... Is there a Dell/Intel site that lists these things?

Furthermore, do you know if an Optiplex 755's mobo will support an upgrade from an E8400 Core 2 Duo to a Q9550 or Q9650 Core 2 Quad processor? Dell told me that combo would work as well.

Thanks for everyone's replies - this is a huge help even though I'm still sitting on new CPUs with possibly no way to use them.

aford10 - getting a new mobo is not an option due to limitations outside my control. I have to continue to use this PC, upgrading the CPU is the only option at the moment outside purchasing a new PC all together. Now that I own the CPU I'd like to make this work if at all possible.

Thanks again!
April 4, 2009 8:14:50 PM

aford10 said:

+1 This is correct. The E8400 has a has a 1333 fsb. That motherboard can only take up to 1066 fsb. The Dell guys are morons, or just lied to you. The cpu is not compatible.
April 4, 2009 8:20:07 PM

orangegator said:
+1 This is correct. The E8400 has a has a 1333 fsb. That motherboard can only take up to 1066 fsb. The Dell guys are morons, or just lied to you. The cpu is not compatible.

Do you know how I can find out what my upgrade options are for that mobo? I have two PCs i'm trying to upgrade - I have a Dell Optiplex 755 with an E8400 (that the Dell guys told me would swap over to the 745 as an upgrade) and then they said that I could run either a Q9650 or Q9550 quad core in the Optiplex 755 - the interface/pins are correct but I had no idea about the FSB or any other compatability issues. How do I find out what the upgrade options are for both these Dell mobos?

Thanks for the replies & help!
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 8:35:45 PM

If Dell said it will work, then more then likely you can flash the bios to work. I've seen plenty on 1066 FSB boards come out with a bios to support 1333.

Here is a list of available Bios from Dell: If you have a old Bios chances are the newest one will fix your problem. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/previousversi...
April 4, 2009 8:45:56 PM

daship said:
If Dell said it will work, then more then likely you can flash the bios to work. I've seen plenty on 1066 FSB boards come out with a bios to support 1333.

Here is a list of available Bios from Dell: If you have a old Bios chances are the newest one will fix your problem. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/previousversi...

you guys are a life saver - but i'm about at my technical level of expertise having never done any of this before. Is it as easy as simply downloading the latest (newest date, highest number) version, save to the C drive, open, run and reboot? Are there other things that I need to do to complete this upgrade?

Are there tutorials or places I can go to research/learn about this rather than come back to this thread and annoy you guys with a thousand more questions?

EDIT: I didn't even know what a FSB was until I googled it... I have no idea what the FSB speeds/numbers (1066 vs. 1333) mean, etc. that is what I mean - how can I learn about this stuff?

Thx!
April 4, 2009 8:51:51 PM

Most BIOS files you will download in an .ISO format.

You can take this and burn it to a CD, put the CD in and go into the BIOS, make sure it is set to boot from a CD.

Let it run from the CD and do it's BIOS update, this should update the BIOS as long as your motherboard is compatible with CD updates.

Some only use floppies, and some are capable of using USB flash drives for updating, but I've found CD's easy enough to use.
April 4, 2009 8:59:10 PM

brendano257 said:
Most BIOS files you will download in an .ISO format.

You can take this and burn it to a CD, put the CD in and go into the BIOS, make sure it is set to boot from a CD.

Let it run from the CD and do it's BIOS update, this should update the BIOS as long as your motherboard is compatible with CD updates.

Some only use floppies, and some are capable of using USB flash drives for updating, but I've found CD's easy enough to use.

This seems very straightforward and fairly easy - I just read the fixes and enhancements but there was no mention of front side bus, etc. do I need to do this or is this just something that you guys generally reccomend?

EDIT: Also - should I do the same for my Optiplex 755 just incase? Is there any way to find out the FSB speeds for the 755 and whether or not the E8400 is the same speed as a Q9550/Q9650?
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 9:04:33 PM

The installation isnstructions are on the same page. Try reading, you'll be amazed how much it helps.
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 9:14:48 PM

Try the newst one, and if it don't work contact Dell and demand compensation for your wasted money and time. You should see how much they overcharged you for the CPU if you bought it from them.

Dell keeps a record of all calls on your account so there will be proof if the guy lied to you about it working. Those guys on the phone get commisions from sells, so sometimes they will say what ever it takes to make a sell.
April 4, 2009 9:15:06 PM

daship said:
The installation isnstructions are on the same page. Try reading, you'll be amazed how much it helps.

I did read the install instructions thx. There were no mentions of what the enhancements did with regards to FSB - if any. Sounds like the BIOS upgrade will not solve the problem.

Another Dell rep just told me that the FSB on the Optiplex mobo is limited to 1066 only and that the E8400 will not work at all - Is there any way I can find out about the FSB on my 755's mobo to make sure that a Q9550/Q9650 will work before I purchase?
April 4, 2009 9:18:24 PM

daship said:
Try the newst one, and if it don't work contact Dell and demand compensation for your wasted money and time. You should see how much they overcharged you for the CPU if you bought it from them.

Dell keeps a record of all calls on your account so there will be proof if the guy lied to you about it working. Those guys on the phone get commisions from sells, so sometimes they will say what ever it takes to make a sell.

LOL figures... I did not purchase anything except a Q9650 from newegg.com (hope I don't get flamed for that)

My Optiplex 755 (home) has an E8400 in it so I just took out that CPU and put it in the Optiplex 745... so it cost me $0 to learn that it's not compatable. I still need to upgrade the CPU in the 745 though so I need to find out what the fastest processor is for a 1066FSB i guess...???
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 9:28:24 PM

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/...

Page 10 looks like you can get the Q6600 or Q6700 for the 755. The CPU's you mentioned might work, but only if there is a bios update. Rule of thumb, if it aint on the list, it might not work. Grab one on the list and it will work for sure.

Looks like you wasted $325. You have 7 days to return it for refund. After that your stuck with it.

Get away from Dell and go custom as soon as you can. I saw a guy on Ebay selling custom computer consultations for $1.00, he looks legit. He contacts you and will build a system to meet your needs. I think I am gonna give him a try.
April 4, 2009 9:59:43 PM

daship said:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/...

Page 10 looks like you can get the Q6600 or Q6700 for the 755. The CPU's you mentioned might work, but only if there is a bios update. Rule of thumb, if it aint on the list, it might not work. Grab one on the list and it will work for sure.

Looks like you wasted $325. You have 7 days to return it for refund. After that your stuck with it.

Get away from Dell and go custom as soon as you can. I saw a guy on Ebay selling custom computer consultations for $1.00, he looks legit. He contacts you and will build a system to meet your needs. I think I am gonna give him a try.

Though I agree with you on the getting away from Dell thing - it simply is not possible without paying for the PC. The PCs I'm asking about were at no cost to me - the 745's are at my desk at work and the 755 is my home PC - none of which cost me a dime. I work for a very small company and we have good deals with Dell and they are very flexible with what we can & can not do to the machines. I may bite the bullet and just order up a Precision T5400 - but I'll try these upgrades first.

Thanks for the link to the tech specs - I don't know what's going on though... My PC came from Dell with an E8400... I pulled it today and verified... and when I view system properties it says:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
E8400 @ 3.00GHz

The E8400 is not listed in the tech specs for the 755? They do mention that the 755 takes processors that run on both FSB speeds of 1066MHz and 1333MHz... but again I'm really new to this. I've spoken to a few different people at Dell and all of them say that the Q9550 and Q9650 will work on the 755...

Still have no idea what I can do upgrade wise for the 745 though :( 
April 4, 2009 10:05:42 PM

Where are you finding these manuals? I am trying to search for the 745 manual and having no luck at all...

Thanks again for everyone's input - this is much appreciated!
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 10:12:06 PM

Well if they say it will, it will, but most likely only with a Bios update.

For the price of the T5400 on their site you could get a nice custom i7 rig.
April 5, 2009 2:10:03 PM

aford10 said:
Here is the E7500. It should work on the 745 with no problems or bios flashes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Do you happen to know what the difference is roughly between the E7400 and E7500 (2.93ghz and 2.80ghz)? Will there be a noticable difference between the two processors?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

I found this and they are close to home and in stock - if there's not going to be much of a difference in processor speed I might just pick one up since they are only $100...
April 5, 2009 3:32:24 PM

there won't be much difference, it might perform slightly better in gaming but only by an fps.
April 5, 2009 3:55:00 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
there won't be much difference, it might perform slightly better in gaming but only by an fps.

Thanks- that's what I thought. Here goes nothing... I picked up two E7400's and I'm about to try one out.

Thx again for everyone's help... I'm sure I'll be needing something else soon!
April 5, 2009 4:39:52 PM

aford10 said:
Here is the E7500. It should work on the 745 with no problems or bios flashes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Getting VERY frustrated here - so far no luck with the E7400 CPU either. The BIOS version is 2.6.2 on the machines currently - dated 8/2008 which is the newest. The BIOS says it supports multi-core processors too...

I'm going to try one more time and then give up and return these things. I just put BIOS version 2.6.1 on the PC and going to try that but I'm not holding my breath. I thought that the E7400/E7500 would be plug & Play but they aren't :( 

Any thoughts/ideas? I have two E7400 CPUs waiting to be used...

EDIT: Seems like some progress - the power light is now green and the boot sequence completes but then it hangs up again with the fan on high. It's like it wants to work but it's expecting the old CPU or something - is there a way to reset the BIOS/machine so that it accepts the new CPU? When I flashed the BIOS I flashed it with the old processor in - am I supposed to be doing this with the new processor installed?
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2009 8:47:29 PM

lol so you have 2 threads on the same problem....

anyhoo, those E7400 cpus are made at 45nm, and need sophisticated power circuitry on the mobo, which i believe yours dont have...
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 2:53:51 AM

You can set the bios to optimal settings or try to clear the cmos by removing the battery for ~15 seconds.
April 6, 2009 3:07:26 AM

aford10 said:
You can set the bios to optimal settings or try to clear the cmos by removing the battery for ~15 seconds.

was wondering how you do that. should I install the new CPU then pull the battery, then try and start it?
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 3:23:28 AM

You already flashed the bios with the old cpu, right?

You now have the new cpu in?

Can you get into the bios with the new cpu in? If you can get into the bios with the new cpu in (tap f8 on boot), then you can set the optimal settings.

If you can't get into the bios, pull the battery on the board for ~15 seconds to reset the CMOS.
April 6, 2009 3:51:14 AM

aford10 said:
You already flashed the bios with the old cpu, right?

You now have the new cpu in?

Can you get into the bios with the new cpu in? If you can get into the bios with the new cpu in (tap f8 on boot), then you can set the optimal settings.

If you can't get into the bios, pull the battery on the board for ~15 seconds to reset the CMOS.

Flashed the BIOS with the old CPU to the newest version (2.6.2). When I put the new CPU in I can not get into the bios - nothing comes up on the screen... it starts the boot sequence because the CD/RW drive lights up and checks as does the HDD but then it hangs up with the cooling fan on high. On the Dell it's F2 to get into the BIOS setup and I can't get there at all...

I'll try clearing the CMOS but I'm starting to worry that I'll need a new mobo :( 
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 7:01:35 AM

Ok, I must appologize, it's been a long day. In xp f8 is to get into safe mode. The DEL key will get you into the bios.
April 6, 2009 10:24:56 AM

from what i can read here, its mobo definitely. e8400 not bad,
get MSI P43 NEO its cheap and its awesome
April 6, 2009 2:32:05 PM

Sulu said:
from what i can read here, its mobo definitely. e8400 not bad,
get MSI P43 NEO its cheap and its awesome

I don't even know what an MSI P43 NEO is...

I have to stay within this Optiplex 745 box, it's a must. If I can upgrade the mobo on the cheap and then run the E7400 chip with the rest of the hardware remaining the same I'll be fine - I can not start changing out to non-745/dell parts under any circumstances.
June 6, 2009 6:37:05 PM

I followed the discussion because i own an optiplex 745 too. So here are my thoughts:

My Optimplex 745 has a P965 chipset, this is the chipset before the P35 one. The P965 only support 1066Mhz FSB and 65nm CPUs.

There is no overclocking in the DELL bios, and there is not BIOS update that supports the new 45nm CPUs even they use 1066FSB.

The only option for an upgrade is a Core2Duo from the E6x00 series (I think the fastest one was the E6600 with 2.4GHz).

I hope this helped.
July 11, 2009 4:04:38 PM

need to know.

currently running E8400 (which is 1333FSB,6MB,45nm) on Optiplex 755

looking forward for Q9650 (which is 1333FSB,12MB,45nm)

bios is up to date...09 release i guess.

should i spend bucks ?
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2009 7:57:20 PM

It depends on what you plan to use the PC for. Though, you should start your own thread, rather than adding on to an old one.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2009 5:04:43 PM

thak u people just upgrade my optiplex 330 dual core 2.2 to 3.0 first i had som fan trouble after downloading the bios work perfect thaks u everyones
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2009 5:35:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!