CPU cooling suggestions please!

hejira

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
just put together the following build (which runs quietly & very well, except for the CPU temp at least 5C too hot for a stock set up):

MB: GA-EP45-DS4P > http://www.umart.com.au/pro/picture.phtml?p_id=9586
CPU: C2D E8400 (stock cooling)
GPU: MSI R4870 512mb (open heatsink)
RAM: Kingston DDR2 2x2GB 800 (3.2GB found)
HDD1: Samsung SATA 3.5" 500GB 7200RPM
Burner: Pioneer SATA DVR-216
PSU: Antec Neopower 650w Blue (1x 12cm fan)
Case: iCute S901 5G1 ATX > http://www.extremepc.co.nz/images/s901.jpg
Case fans:
1x 25cm low rpm side fan
1x 12cm icute LED exaust fan

standard spec;
x9
3.00GHz
Vcore: 1,250v
gigabyte energy saving features off.

ide:
CPU 0: 50C
CPU 1: 48C
GPU: 55C

10minutes of Crysis at max settings:
CPU 0: 69C
CPU 1: 68C
GPU: 70C

bios altered underclock;
x6
2.66GHz
VCore: 1.200v
gigabyte energy saving features on;
CPU throttle on
CPU voltage dynamic @ extreme energy saving

idle:
CPU 0: 40C
CPU 1: 40C
GPU: 55C

10minutes of Crysis (~19 FPS) at max settings:
CPU 0: 60C
CPU 1: 58C
GPU: 70C

As you can see its running better than id expect apart from the CPU, which isnt supposed to exceed 62C (according to intel), & id like to be able to run it for longer periods at full load or unzip files bigger than 1GB, & maybe a mild overclock..
So considering that theres a 25cm case fan slightly restricting the height of the CPU cooler (im not sure if a cooler taller than 12cm will fit),
and these are my cooling options:
http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2 (click on cooling in left menu, then scroll down to the CPU cooling list)
or http://www.gamedude.com.au/ (click on cooling in left menu, then click CPU all types in the left menu)

what would you suggest/recommend i buy to drop the CPU temp by at least 10C?

also, is it a bad idea to be changing/underclocking via bios if this is my first time build & im not entirely sure if what im doing is safe?

im at work today so i cant measure how much room is avail. thanks for your help!

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Wow, those are high temps for stock.

1. What ambient temps are you using the computer at?

2. Possible that the CPU heatsink is not properly seated. I would reseat the heatsink.

3. While you're reseating, remove the intel thermal compound and use something like Artic silver 5.

+1
Those temps would indicate the CPU cooler isn't installed correctly. I would check all the pushpins. I bet you'll find one that isn't fully seated. You don't need an aftermarket cooler if you're running at stock speed, you just need to correctly install the stock heatsink.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Just want to add, you can view this page for a round up of CPU coolers:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=62

Basically the list is like this:
OCZ Vendetta 2 OCZTVEND2
Noctua NH-U12P
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
Cooler Master Hyper Z600
Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Thermaltake V14 Pro CL-P0471
Kingwin RVT-12025
Vantec AeroFlow FX 120
Xigmatek Achilles S1284
Cooler Master V8

Won't go wrong with any of these coolers.

hejira

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
well its the very first time id ever seated a CPU so it seemed a lil suss, took a couple of goes to lock the push pins right, so your right on the mark, the stock compound probably took a beating.. will a simple reseat give me what i want or should i go & spend a bit on an aftermarket?

no aircon in the room so ambient temps are pretty high (its summer in Australia at the moment). it did have a front 12cm & an old 8cm exhaust fan, so i swaped the 12cm to the back & the 8cm is too small to be fitted to the front. doesnt seem to make much difference. *keep in mind the entire front is mesh so its a very open case.

Ambient temps play a big role in CPU cooling.
I think a smart bet is to get some new thermal compound and test with the stock heatsink correctly installed.
If that's not making you happy, you'll have enough thermal compound left to work with a new, more efficient CPU cooler.

hejira

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
i dont have any rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU before i reseat it, can i get away with just scraping it clean or is there a substitute?

thanks again, great help.

orangedrink

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
i have a Cooler Master V8 on my phenom @3.0 1.4 vcore. idles around 39C full load no more than 45C. its winter so im not sure how it will be in the summer.

orangedrink

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

i had this one. if you have dominators or have heatsinks on your ram. it wont fit. this thing is very wide.

hejira

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
the motherboard has a full heat pipe that travels right around the CPU (see photo link in first post), the ram is very compact, no heatsink. not sure if the big typhoon will fit with that? will i need to remove the motherboard heatsink reguardless of what aftermarket CPU cooler i choose?

also does it matter which direction you sit the CPU heatsink/fan, is there only one way it can face?

Zenthar

Distinguished
With Stock cooler, those temps are perfectly "normal" and unless you plan on running the CPU at full load 24x7, you shouldn't worry too much either. Yes 70's are a bit high, but will not permanently damage the CPU (that would be in the 90's), might just reduce the life of the CPU from 10+years to 6-7 :p. Intel wouldn't ship those cooler if they didn't thing it would keep the CPU alive for at least their 3 years warranty ;).

hejira

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
i figure instead of just buying a new tube of thermal compound when i plan on overclocking in the future, i may aswell go & buy an aftermarket cooler with its own thermal compound now, considering how hot it is now even after ive drastically restrained the CPU..

this is about the only one i figure might fit in all directions, @ 125mm high:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=277

opinions?

hejira

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
purchased the zalman CNPS9500A LED & added another 12cm case fan & changed the bios to have it run at stock 3GHz, & energy saving features turned off, managed to seat it without taking the mobo silent pipe off, & it sits at around 40C at idle & 50C under stress, much more stable.