Msi afterburner

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
i was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with changing the unofficial overclock value from 0 to 1 in msi afterburner ? when i change it, as soon as i go past the ccc limits--i mean 775 to 776 core, my entire rig feezes--i have been scouring the internet for a solution but no luck--if anyone has had this problem or knows of a solution please help---i know my 5850's have alot more to offer---i know flashing the bios is an option but ive never done it on a vid card and all the guides ive seen look complicated--any help would be great---

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

What Brand are your 5850's and did you tweak up the voltage
a tad what are your temps, that could be causing the issue man?

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
i have the visiontek 5850's---i did tweak the voltage but still one mhz over ccc limits of 775 and i freeze up completely---ive even tried not installing ccc and just use msi afterburner---i change the unofficialoverclocking from 0 to 1 and save---it will still oc to 775/1125 (ccc limits) but anything over that and my whole rig freezes---i swear ive tried everything----grrrr....

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

I have a Asus 5850 and i have not OC'ed it yet i have seen on the forums here that it can be oc'ed to 850/1100 without touching voltage thats how some guys have succeeded. They say that if you have another Brand than the asus 5850 that you have to download the bios version of asus 5850 for your card flash your card and istall the asus version to your card to get higher clock's since it is a unlocked version. i dont know how you do this since i have never played with bios's ever of any card or motherboard.

Firstly I would recommend NOT enabling voltage tweaking for the time being. Make sure that in CCC, Overdrive tab, you first click the "lock" image so that it's "unlocked". Then, be sure that the Overdrive check box is Unchecked. After that, and with the Afterburner config file changed to allow unofficial overclocking, it should work just fine.

The problem with voltage tweaking is that not all cards support it. As emmerichem points out you could flash the BIOS to one that will have the voltage tweaking although to be honest I don't know for certain if that works, as I think I've also read it's a hardware thing. Also, it doesn't have to be the ASUS BIOS, it can be any card with a reference cooler on it, or the special Direct CU/Voltage tweak cards (those are the ASUS ones). For example I have reference model Sapphire cards and can voltage tweak.

BIOS flashing isn't really hard. I've done it many times on my 5850s using ATIWinFlash. Basically you open it, load the bios, and flick Program. However it does cause issues regularily when flashing (like screen blinking or the mouse freezes and unfreezes), but after a reboot it's always worked (and kept the flashed settings).

Without voltage control, it should be possible to get at around 850 core and 1150 memory. Voltage control will only help core OCing, as the memory voltage is separate and not really changeable (at least not on these cards)

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

You are correct Wolfram23, either get the CU/voltage bios and do as Wolfram23 has Guided with
Cause he Has got experience in flashing and installing GPU Bios.I have OC'ed but never on my count found the need to flash a bios so i read on flashing but never done it :)

But as Wolfram23 has said is true you can reach a core of 850 max and memory of 1150 without touching voltage
just depends on a basis from card to card and Sometimes the brand make

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Do you need to download some official overclocking softwre from MSi to unlock the Bios Firmware code that prevents overclocking? Most Companies have a software compiler that overclocks your product and benchmarks to see what specifications are within warranty limits and safe!

GunBlade could be right about that, you need the specific manufacturer's software.

Going over the OP again, I think I left something out... you cannot use the option to copy OC settings onto both cards at the same time. Need to do it one card and then the other. I didn't realise there was 2 5850s.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

I remember before you could overclock a card at your on risk, but many of the high end Video Cards Board makers offered overlocking with a warranty that guaranteed OC product lines, plus software that did all the work for you, and benchmarked, and tested like a sandrasoft burn in compiler to test out the specs! :bounce: No More testing things out to ensure it was safe, or gaming and finding out your videocard is overloaded and fried after benchmarking for a couple days! Nice automated functions, only thing better was bios upgrades over the internet as opposed to the floppy drive upgrade, or buying a gigabyte mainboard with dual bios to ensure you don't get screwed and have to return the mainboard if your ruin the bios firmware!

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Hey man just OC'ed my 5850 and its sitting at core/mem 835/1125 without touching voltage :bounce:

idle temp 37c and highest temp i have reached so far is 55c :D