Should i upgrade my cpu or not

jdwii

Splendid
ok so i want better performance in games and i just got a (ati 4770 512mb) (wish i would of got somthing better but i did'nt know i would be getting more money) know i want to upgrade my cpu for a better one but i want to know if it well even make that big of a diffrence in games...i have a athlon x4 620 OC3.25ghz right know
i want a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T because im not spending more then 200$ i'll overclock it to 3.3ghz-3.5ghz...on stock voltage of course!!!like i did on my athlon
this seems like a easy question yes it well make a big diffrence but i dont thank it well make a huge diffrence...anyways should i upgrade or is it not worth it for games remember the athlon has no L3 cache.
yes my mouterboard does support it asus m4a785-m

this seems like a odd than to say :pt1cable: but I'm not trying to improve my max fps in games i just want to improve the low fps

i was going to upgrade to 6Gb of ram i look at benchmarks in games and laughed and said no maybe my cpu

rest of my system
antec 300 case
antec 380 watt (upgradeing to a antec 650 watt earthwatts)
3GB of ram
320GB hard drive

Solution
Not worth the upgrade unless you do massive rendering/encoding. For games your CPU will do just fine, what you need is a better GPU. The frame loss you get for not having L3 is minimal, maybe a 2% hit at the most.

Forget about stock voltage if you want to get the most out of your CPU. With a decent CPU cooler you can get your 620 to around 3.4/3.5Ghz easy while attaining low temps.

Invest in a 5770 or 5830 if you want more performance in games. Your CPU is more than fine =)

Not worth the upgrade unless you do massive rendering/encoding. For games your CPU will do just fine, what you need is a better GPU. The frame loss you get for not having L3 is minimal, maybe a 2% hit at the most.

Forget about stock voltage if you want to get the most out of your CPU. With a decent CPU cooler you can get your 620 to around 3.4/3.5Ghz easy while attaining low temps.

Invest in a 5770 or 5830 if you want more performance in games. Your CPU is more than fine =)

Solution
+2, get a better video card. The missing l3 cache is only apprx 5% of a performance hit. Definitely nothing wrong with your cpu at this point. I have 3 of those cpus right now and they are hard to beat for the price. Theres nothing wrong with your cpu especially with your OC. Put your 4770 on ebay and put the funds with your current 200 you want to spend on the cpu and get this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150494&cm_re=ati_5850-_-14-150-494-_-Product

It will definitely give you the performance boost you want...

jdwii

Splendid

yup going to keep my cpu i was looking at a phenom 965 BE 3.4ghz stock overclock it to 3.8ghz
but I'll just get a 5770 most likely