Sign in with
Your question

Can you connect HDTV cables to to a DVI monitor ? ( without a tv)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2009 12:41:28 PM

Hi all ,

I want to sign up to an HDTV cable broadcast but do not have a TV that supports HD broadcast and would like to know if it is possible to connect the hdmi cable to my DVI computer monitor .

Background info - I got an HDMI to DVI adapter with my gigabyte 9800 video card and would like to know if its possible to use that adapter to connect my "HD cables" (cables as in HD cable TV , but not the tv) directly to my monitor or computer video card without connecting anything to a TV and be able to watch HD TV on my monitor that only have a DVI opening ,

Thank you very much !
February 3, 2009 11:56:08 PM

you can use DVI to watch hd quality. you have to have an HD monitor to do either way mine or yours.
just right click you desktop and click properties>settings than switch teh resolution as high as it goes.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 4, 2009 3:37:39 AM

Your desktop will have nothing to do with it.

You can hook some HDMI cables directly to monitors, but they need to support the signal type. If it doesn't support the output of the HD source, then it won't display anything (just like people had issues with LCDs showing the BIOS screen), they don't like unsupported resolutions.

As for sending it through the comuter first, you need an HD capture device for that.
Related resources
February 4, 2009 5:12:49 AM

Since your monitor doesn't have HDMI inputs you most likely can convert the HDMI to DVI then connect to your monitor. But your monitor will have to support the resolutions that are sent by the HD reciever usually (1080i/p, 720i/p). So try out that converter you have if that doesn't work DVI to HDMI cables are available at most retail stores that sell electronics.
February 4, 2009 8:24:50 AM

It seems that my monitor's native res is 1920X1080 (full hd) now ,

Just some added background - we do not use "tv tuners" over here , if you sign up to cable tv or HD Cable tv they install an HD cablebox/reciever (however you call it in english) and you change channels with the remote you get with it .

"As for sending it through the comuter first, you need an HD capture device for that. "

I might have not explained it well (sorry) I do not want to view it through my computer , what I want to know is if it is possible to connect my cable tv box(however its called in english) to my directly to my monitor and use it as a TV .

Thanks everyone for putting the effort to help me !
February 4, 2009 7:46:28 PM

Two questions come to mind;
1. What type of outputs does the cable TV receiver have,
2. What make/model of monitor are you attempting to connect it to?

Answer these questions and people will find it much easier to give you some guidance on the issue.
February 4, 2009 8:14:44 PM

rgsaunders said:
Two questions come to mind;
1. What type of outputs does the cable TV receiver have,
2. What make/model of monitor are you attempting to connect it to?

Answer these questions and people will find it much easier to give you some guidance on the issue.

The cabel TV receiver has :
"2 SCARTS for TV & VCR
Analogue AUDIO RCA
SPDIF DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
YPrPb (ANALOG VIDEO OUTPUT)
HDMI (DIGITAL AUDIO & VIDEO OUTPUT)"

My monitor model is BenQ T2200HD --- now there is also a version called E2200HD which supposed to be exactly like my model but also has hdmi and speakers .

My T2200HD does have only DVI and VGA - It does not have HDMI and not have speakers . however it supposed to be a 16:9 full HD monitor with native 1920X1080 res .

Let me know if this helps .

Again thanks for all your help

February 4, 2009 8:29:32 PM

You can hook a Digital cable box up to a digital monitor and it works very well.
If the monitor has speakers, HDMI and the latest versions DVI carry sound.
If no speakers you will have to use an audio receiver with pass through video, between the cable box and monitor.
February 4, 2009 9:36:27 PM

Hopefully the monitor is HDCP compliant or it may not work at HD resolutions. The electical signal is the same for HDMI and DVI, just different conncetor shape and pins, so a hdmi to dvi will work unless HDCP get broken and then the cable box might down-res it to dvd quality. As stated above, you will need some speakers fro the sound.
February 4, 2009 10:47:35 PM

Hey DiscoDuck and kotknut ,

I just checked and it is HDCP compliant . now I hope that at least it will show a picture(without sound) once I connect them through an HDMI to DVI link and not cause problem due not getting a sound signel or somethig (I really do not know much about this field)

Now the thing that comes in mind is the sound , Can you connect the HD cable box's HDMI cable to the DVI with the link and then be able to get sound by also connecting speakers to the HD Cable box's audio hole/s ?

Thanks again !
February 5, 2009 1:30:15 PM

Case solved !

I took my monitor and visited someone who has HD cable TV , Connected the HD cable box to my monitor and it worked great and the most suprising thing was that it looked pretty good in normal tv mode .

Anyway thanks everyone for all the info and support .
!