Sign in with
Your question

Budget-ish gaming build--How does this look?

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2009 12:06:03 AM

Hey, everyone. I'm putting the finishing touches on my parts list for my first ever self-built machine, and I wondered if I could get any comments from the experts here. I'm aiming more toward the budget end of things, and I don't trust myself with overclocking. The heaviest demands on this system are going to be gaming related--I'm not going to be doing video editing or anything.

Case:
Antec Three Hundred

PSU:
Corsair 650TX

Mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache

RAM:
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Graphics Card:
SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5

HDD :
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

Optical Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

Any thoughts?
January 7, 2009 1:53:41 AM

Looks good.....did ur homework for a gaming rig.....let us know how it turns out :) 
January 7, 2009 2:06:12 AM

The PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W is a better PSU for the same price.

All your links are bad, they have junk characters at the front.
Related resources
January 7, 2009 2:35:36 AM

+1 for Zorg's idea.

Upgrade to GA-EP45-UD3P. You get Crossfire, RAID, e-SATA, more SATA ports, Firewire, etc, all for a few bucks more.
January 7, 2009 2:47:22 AM

I would agree with aevm, up your motherboard. I'm personally running a EP45-DS3L and I can't overclock my Q6600 past stock 2.4GHz without it resetting everything. My 2cents.
January 7, 2009 2:47:28 AM

aevm said:
I'd spend $75 for a WD6400AAKS or $80 for a WD6401AALS rather than $65 for a 500GB Seagate 500GB. Those two WD's are faster, and the price/GB is better. There's also a Seagate 640GB for $80, but it's only got 4 eggs at newegg (the WD's have 5 eggs).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148335

Seagate also has a 5 year warrenty, as opposed to WD's 3 year warrenty. That needs to be considered as well.
January 7, 2009 2:58:44 AM

A very good list. Any changes are nit picking.

I would suggest adding a Xigmatek S1284 cooler with the optional back plate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The stock cooler is ok, but it will spin up and be noisy when the cpu is at full load. A good oem cooler will be more efficient, and stay quiet.
January 7, 2009 3:06:40 AM

Misocainea said:
Seagate also has a 5 year warrenty, as opposed to WD's 3 year warrenty. That needs to be considered as well.

Western Digital BLACK series have a 5 year warranty too .

And since there are major issues with many seagate 7200.11 series drives its not worth the risk buying one . Lots of people are reporting DOA drives or drives that are very slow . VERY slow .
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB that I was shipped wouldnt format and then died completely .IMO seagates warranty is bogus . I have been waiting since mid november for a functioning hard drive .
Maybe they send a replacement after 5 years? and thats what they mean by a "5 year warranty"

No worries though. I ordered a black series 640 gig WD to use while I wait for seagate
January 7, 2009 3:07:44 AM

I'd also suggest you going with on the the WD 640gb drives, and I've got that seagate drive in my system.

It performs fine but does make a slight ticking noise occasionally, nothing really bad, but still something to note.
January 7, 2009 3:19:09 AM

+1 for the cooler ...it will certainly keep the temps of the cpu down if u wanna overclock the cpu...and all the other recommends are worth the change....
January 7, 2009 4:52:31 AM

I agree with aevm's upgrade recommendations to the UD3P and the 6400AAKS or 6401AALS, especially the WD HD. I almost included the HD switch but didn't, because I assumed your budget was maxed. Check the features that aevm listed for the UD3P and decide if the drive is a better choice depending on your needs, assuming funds are limited. Those 7200.11s appear to be a little flaky. BTW, a warranty of 20 years doesn't mean crap when your data is gone. Data recovery isn't part of the warranty, obviously. Not to mention that you then have all your data in other peoples hands, which is completely unacceptable to me.

Also, assuming you can squeeze a few bucks more and you plan to OC, or even if you don't plan to OC, the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler with the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket is a really good idea, as mentioned earlier. It also fits in the 300 case well.

Note:
When applying thermal paste with the Xigmatek cooler, apply a thin layer across the CPU IHS (top) or across the whole base of the heatsink. The paste won't spread properly through contact because of the gaps between the heatpipes and the base.
January 7, 2009 7:14:16 AM

^+1 to Aevm and Zorgs notations and build looks solid
January 7, 2009 10:52:28 AM

Thanks, everyone, and sorry about the bad BBCode. I admit I was crossposting from another forum, and I should have taken the time to make sure everything still worked here. Thanks for the heads-up on the WD6400AAKS--the Seagate I had listed appears to be out of stock at Newegg now anyway, so I'll definitely be going with the Western Digital drive.

I'll think about the mobo and the cooling solution today, and make a decision tonight. Zorg's right that I'm (unfortunately) close to my price ceiling, but an extra ~$30 for Crossfire and RAID support might be awfully helpful down the line. Thanks again.
January 7, 2009 2:15:51 PM

USBOctopus said:
Thanks, everyone, and sorry about the bad BBCode. I admit I was crossposting from another forum, and I should have taken the time to make sure everything still worked here. Thanks for the heads-up on the WD6400AAKS--the Seagate I had listed appears to be out of stock at Newegg now anyway, so I'll definitely be going with the Western Digital drive.

I'll think about the mobo and the cooling solution today, and make a decision tonight. Zorg's right that I'm (unfortunately) close to my price ceiling, but an extra ~$30 for Crossfire and RAID support might be awfully helpful down the line. Thanks again.

SLI/crossfire has been a poor upgrade path in the past. It should be used only by
those who will not currently be satisfied by the fastest available single vga card
which is currently the 4870X2. The 4870, GTX260, or 9800GX2
offer very good performance for the money now.
To get SLI. you have to spend more up front for a SLI capable mobo,a
more powerful SLI capable PSU, and better case cooling. Upgrading a single card later with a
second equal card does not get you 2x increase, it is more like 1.3x to 1.8x depending on the game.
At that time, you will still be paying top dollar for a card that is closer to
being obsolete.
It would be better to sell the old card and use the proceeds
towards a better new generation single card.

There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

I suggest that you save the extra $30 you would spend for those features.
!