Recommendations for a new card?

G

My computer is basically standard in every form of the word
It has
1gb of RAM 2.66 GHZ All the original pieces inside.

I just got windows Vista. Both my Sound and video cards dont work
So im buying a new one
What is the absolute best one that will work on my system? I dont care about the cost but i dont want it to like kill my computer.

G

Oh and it is a dimension 8250 running windows vista home premium service pack 1

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
So you want a new Graphics and Sound Card? and whats your processor, what do you want to do with your computer e.g. gaming? and what monitor do you have? we need your full specs please to make a resonable judgment....

G

Mostly playing games with this computer and watching videos.
Hah i clicked monitor on the display thing to see if it said the name and all it said was default monitor.
And
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 GHz 2.65GHz
32 bit operating system.
And yeah both if you know good ones for both of them
Where can i find the monitor?

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
for the monitor just tell us the Resolution... how big is the monitor 22"? anyways firstly you need more ram, atleaste another gig and your cpu will limit your graphics card sooner or later so i recommend something mid range like the AtiHD4670...

Bad news, Brian, you system has an AGP slot, so none of the newer PCI-E cards will fit.
Some of the 8250 came with onboard sound, so I`d suggest you look into that before spending more cash on a new soundcard.
As for video, the HD3650 is about as much as you can install without an expensive PSU replacement.
Extra memory would also come in handy with Vista as the OS.