Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel 80 GB SSD Problems (Model SSDSA2M080G2GN)

Last response: in Storage
July 7, 2010 12:06:05 AM

Two things:

1) My SSD Toolbox doesn't do anything. The buttons might as well be little pictures
2) I accidently ran the windows 7 install twice (long story), so I had a "Windows.old" folder. I ran disk cleanup, and ran the function to get rid of previous installations of Windows. When I go to "C", the folder is gone, but that doesn't seem to have cleared up any room at all.

My system build:
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro
Processor: Intel i5-750
RAM: Corsair XMS3-1600, 8GB
GPU: eVGA GTX260
OS Drive: Intel SSDSA2M080G2GN
Data Drive: Samsung HD103SJ

I ran the command prompt to ensure TRIM was turned on and it confirmed that it was. I'm just worried something is wrong and my SSD will gradually get bloated with undeleted data,
a b G Storage
July 7, 2010 12:38:03 AM

Well after you deleted that "Windows.Old" folder, did you check and clear your recycling bin in case it was moved there?

Your SSD Toolbox, is it version 1.3 which is the latest?

If Trim is on then you don't need your SSD toolbox optimizer tool, however when you mean it doesn't work, do you mean the buttons don't click or what?
m
l
July 7, 2010 12:41:41 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well after you deleted that "Windows.Old" folder, did you check and clear your recycling bin in case it was moved there?

Your SSD Toolbox, is it version 1.3 which is the latest?

If Trim is on then you don't need your SSD toolbox optimizer tool, however when you mean it doesn't work, do you mean the buttons don't click or what?

- The recycle bin is empty, I thought of that too.

- It is the newest version, got it off the Intel website last week.

- The buttons don't click, in fact they're grayed out. If I click on my other hard drive in the hardware list, I can use two of the 5 options for it.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 7, 2010 1:26:09 AM

That very weird, I have never heard of a problem like that. However this might help you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/93409-intel...

The last post on that board says this:
Quote:

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
735 posts
S. ME and W. ME

Also, if you have not turned off the defragmentation I'd do so you don't want the drive derfragmented by Windows 7 or any defragmenting program. I have to ask even though you said it was a clean install, it wasn't through an image was it? Reason I ask is I initially setup my X25 160 SSD on my M17x using the image from the original 320Gb WD that was in it and had similar problems as you are now experiencing. Got to thinking about what was happening and that I was not experiencing it on the desktop which, while a different SSD, was loaded from the OEM DVD as a real clean install so I formatted the SSD ensuring it was clean then did a clean install with DVD and all my problems disappeared.

What I would do...I really don't know if your problem originiates from this, but i'd do a full format and fresh install of Windows 7, without any mistakes like installing it twice. Just a full and fresh install. Then I'd make sure your SSD is connected through the "AHCI", not "IDE". Then install the SSD Toolbox, oh and make sure your firmware is latest.
m
l
July 7, 2010 2:01:58 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
That very weird, I have never heard of a problem like that. However this might help you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/93409-intel...

The last post on that board says this:
Quote:

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
735 posts
S. ME and W. ME

Also, if you have not turned off the defragmentation I'd do so you don't want the drive derfragmented by Windows 7 or any defragmenting program. I have to ask even though you said it was a clean install, it wasn't through an image was it? Reason I ask is I initially setup my X25 160 SSD on my M17x using the image from the original 320Gb WD that was in it and had similar problems as you are now experiencing. Got to thinking about what was happening and that I was not experiencing it on the desktop which, while a different SSD, was loaded from the OEM DVD as a real clean install so I formatted the SSD ensuring it was clean then did a clean install with DVD and all my problems disappeared.

What I would do...I really don't know if your problem originiates from this, but i'd do a full format and fresh install of Windows 7, without any mistakes like installing it twice. Just a full and fresh install. Then I'd make sure your SSD is connected through the "AHCI", not "IDE". Then install the SSD Toolbox, oh and make sure your firmware is latest.

That's what I was thinking. One question - Would there be any reason to have to install the RAID drivers during the Windows 7 installation process in order to get the AHCI process working properly, or are they only needed for RAID?

Also, I have not been able to find the option to reformat on the W7 install disk... I'd like to think I looked everywhere, but I couldn't find it. Would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. It's the W7 Professional, 64 bit OEM disk.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 7, 2010 2:48:02 AM

You do not need to do anything or load any drivers in order for Microsoft Windows 7 to work with AHCI. Just make sure you switch to AHCI BEFORE you install Microsoft Windows 7. Otherwise it won't boot and will give you a Blue Screen. However there is a simple registry fix, but if you can just switch to AHCI and then install Microsoft Windows 7, it makes things easier.

Well when you enter the installation, what you do is simply delete all the existing partitions with the tools provided and then just continue installing, there is no need to create any kind of partition before installing, as it creates everything automatically for you. Just make sure to delete all existing installs or partitions.
July 7, 2010 3:32:52 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
You do not need to do anything or load any drivers in order for Microsoft Windows 7 to work with AHCI. Just make sure you switch to AHCI BEFORE you install Microsoft Windows 7. Otherwise it won't boot and will give you a Blue Screen. However there is a simple registry fix, but if you can just switch to AHCI and then install Microsoft Windows 7, it makes things easier.

Well when you enter the installation, what you do is simply delete all the existing partitions with the tools provided and then just continue installing, there is no need to create any kind of partition before installing, as it creates everything automatically for you. Just make sure to delete all existing installs or partitions.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it seems like it's accumulating data I'll do a reinstall. Just one thing, if the data isn't getting deleted through the normal processes, what guarantee is there that it will get cleared out in the windows 7 disk utilities?
m
l
a b G Storage
July 7, 2010 4:30:07 AM

I am not quite sure what you are asking. What do you mean by normal processes and disk utilities?
m
l
July 7, 2010 10:22:39 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
I am not quite sure what you are asking. What do you mean by normal processes and disk utilities?

The extra ~11 GB of data seemed to be that "windows.old" folder, I initially attempted to just delete this but got a warning prompt so I didn't. Then I went into the disk properties/disk cleanup and that's what I used to try to get rid of it (IE, remove previous windows installations). After I did that, the folder was gone but the data still seems to be there. I guess I'm just worried there's something wrong with the drive and it can't delete data anymore, but that's probably silly.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 7, 2010 5:38:38 PM

Okay, open up "My Computer", then on the top click on "Organize" and then click on "Folder Options", then on the top click on "View", then once you are in there, check the boxes/circles that say "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", then uncheck the box where it says "Hide protected operating system files". Now you can see all files. Try to find this way. Once you have done this, do a search for it. Your operating system might have simply moved it instead of deleting so try doing a search for "windows.old". However either way, a fresh and full install would be the best decision...because after a fresh install everything tends to work.
m
l
July 7, 2010 5:46:17 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Okay, open up "My Computer", then on the top click on "Organize" and then click on "Folder Options", then on the top click on "View", then once you are in there, check the boxes/circles that say "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", then uncheck the box where it says "Hide protected operating system files". Now you can see all files. Try to find this way. Once you have done this, do a search for it. Your operating system might have simply moved it instead of deleting so try doing a search for "windows.old". However either way, a fresh and full install would be the best decision...because after a fresh install everything tends to work.

Interesting... When I highlight all the files in "C" it now shows the volume of information, yet there is a folder called "Documents & Settings" that is locked. I think I will just reinstall, I don't have that much invested in this iteration (I just installed it on Sat Night). You'll definitely get "best answer", thanks a million!
m
l
July 7, 2010 5:46:28 PM

Best answer selected by sgt bombulous.
m
l
July 7, 2010 5:51:25 PM

Oh and the SSD firmware is up to date. I ran the recent update and it informed me that the drive already had it. This model (SSDSA2M080G2GN) was just released and evidently shipped with the latest updates.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 7, 2010 5:51:39 PM

Glad I could help :) 
m
l
!