Core i7 940 - High Idle Temperature

logika

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Hello,

Thank you right away for any help provided.

I have had a nightmare with a Custom built computer from CyberPower PC. This is the 3rd time I am RMAing this thing to California and when I finally thought it was fixed, my CPU (stock 2.9GHZ) is showing 47F-52F idle temperatures.

I am running a CoolerMaster V8 on P6T Deluxe, on high speeds and the temperatures are not falling. I have done some research and it seems the problem is related to thermal grease? I wouldn't be surprised if the idiots at CyberPower did not apply it properly.

Since I am a software guy and I have never applied the thermal grease (and was also told CoolerMaster V8 requires the whole motherboard to be removed), I am upset I might have to RMA this thing again.

What would you suggest?

It is strange that my AI Suite from ASUS shows 48F for CPU and 50F for Motherboard, BIOS shows the same, but RealTemp shows about 37-40F per core. However, before I RMAed this PC, my AI Suite was showing 36-37.

Please advise, thanks!

First, I'll assume all of those are celsius rather than fahrenheit.

Second, idle temperatures are almost irrelevant - what matters are the max load temps. What are the peak load temps?

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
My i7 920@3.7GHz@1.26v runs like 48ºc idle and close to 80ºc under intel stress test
even my HDD runs 41ºc
my room temp is around 30ºc i guess

logika

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks cjl, will do right now.

One more question:

I have a NZXT Sentry Fan Controller installed and it comes with Temp Alarm (tiny speaker inside of the case). Once in a while that thing will go off and beep a few times! However, I am not running anything intensive and when I check my temps in RealTemp or even AI SUITE, I am getting 37-42, and average max at about 44. Why is this thing beeping???

I have also just opened the case and touched the heatsink (CoolerMaster V8) and it is barely warm, however there is barely any load on the CPU at the moment.

The heatsink will never feel warm. When mine is dissipating around 200+ watts of heat, and my CPU is 75C or so, it still feels cool to the touch (Thermalright Ultra Extreme). As for your temp alarm? No idea why it is beeping.

logika

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

I have a Cosmos S Case. it has a slot for a 120MM side fan, which CyberPower geniuses, did not install at all.

My MOBO is at 50C idle right now, is that a normal mobo temperature for P6T deluxe?

logika

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I will get back to you on the max load.

logika

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

I would, but I have no experience removing the Coolermaster V8 and applying thermal grease. I am worried about damaging something etc.

logika

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Hey guys, just ran Prime95 with SmallFFT, maxed out at 74-76C running it for about 1 hour. But I am stock, not overclocked just 2.93 940 with Coolermaster v8.

Any advise you would give me?

make

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

I also have an NZXT Sentry that sometimes beeps without reason. Take a look at here:
http://www.nzxt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6005