Overclocking my i7 920 CPU

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
First download the datasheet from Intel on your processor so you have an idea of temps and voltages:
http://www.intel.com/design/corei7/documentation.htm

Then, search for i7 920 overclocking "guides" that will tell you what the Bios entries are for and give you specific instructions about how to adjust different Bios settings along with required programs for monitoring heat and stress testing for stability. It's a little time consuming but if you want to do it right, that's how, having someone tell you to just put this in your Bios and try it really doesn't teach you how to OC.

kvbrock82

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Thanks for the reply RJR.

Im really not gifted at all when it comes to this stuff. Id really appreciate it if someone can give me a quick how and what to do for this. Are there any links to threads that will make this easier for me?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The Xbitlabs guide will give you a LOT of information but I caution you to read through at least a couple of different guides and definitely download the datasheet. One thing I have noticed in some i7 920 guides, like xbitlabs, is they kind of mislead you as to the cpu temperature, they state you can run the processor up to 100c before the cpu throttles. While this is in fact true, it really should be stated that running above Intel's recommended spec (67.9c Tcase or low 70's core) is a very bad thing. This kind of thing leads people to believe the thermal spec of their 920 is 100c and believe me more than a few have stated this to me on various forums, that's why I try to get people to download the datasheet so they know.