ravenosu

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Hey all, my current psu is making high pitched squealing noises. Uh oh. :cry: Sometimes the pitch is ear splitting, other times it's somewhat quiet. I see that there may be a correlation between the pitch/loudness of the sound, and how much stress I am putting my computer under. For example, it's near deafening during a graphic intensive game, and very quiet during, say, a movie. As I type this, it's so quiet that I cannot hear it from where I am.

I read in other threads that this may be due to the current arcing or some blather like that which I don't know anything about. :D

I'm 99.5% sure that it's my psu because when i put my ear near the cable at the back where it plugs into my psu I can hear it loud and clear. I have checked all of my case fans, even the fan on my GPU and in the power supply itself, stopping them doesn't make the sound go away. I have checked the capacitors on my mobo, all look fine.

My question is, what PSU can you recommend for my specific rig? I'm looking for a price range of $75-100, and prefer it to be closer to 75 :)

70gb Raptor drive
300gb 7200rpm Western Digital
NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
Core2Duo E6550 (I overclock this thing to 3ghz but for now I have it dropped to its standard clock)
DFI Blood Iron INFINITY P35-T2RL mobo
Creative X-FI champion series sound card
Linksys basic ethernet card I cant remember the model number
Cooler Master DVD-R drive
2x 120mm and 1x 80mm case fans

If this information affects anything- I usually have 4 USB devices plugged in at any given time.

I was looking at this particular PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=Corsair%20VX450W

But It'd be nice to have some advice from someone who knows more than I about these things.

Thanks a bunch, and let me know if you need any more information.

I'd say that the Corsair 550 is a better choice, as Proximon said. You really don't need more than the 550 though, unless you're really planning on adding a lot more power hungry components.

ravenosu

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks guys! That corsair 550w looks like a good deal on newegg!

Altho, today, for some reason the sound is gone... ugh.