Sign in with
Your question

New AMD system questions: OC/Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
June 22, 2010 4:23:58 PM

A few weeks ago I built a new PC, with LOTS of help from some very friendly people on these forums, and would like to get into some OC'ing. The only thing I've OC'd so far are my dual HD 4850s via CCC. I've done a slight OC on them, taking them to 650/1085, and I don't think the GPU temps have been too bad. I've read the OC guides here but I still have some questions as this is my 1st attempt at OC'ing. First off here are my specs:

Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case60827097 (1 120mm intake side fan, 1 120mm rear out, 1 120 mm fan top out)
CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model (C3 Stepping)
RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1333LV4GK60827097
MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
O/S: Win 7 64 bit
GPU: Dual XFX Ati HD 4850 1gb (Crossfire)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Intel Core i5 compatible Hyper TX3 (Added 2nd 90mm fan)

I downloaded both CPUID HWMonitor and CoreTemp64 to monitor temps. Keep in mind the room my PC is in stays very warm during summer. While I don't have exact temps, I would think it's around 80 (F) on average. At Idle HWMon. reports "CPU Temp" at 40(c), "Core" at 39(c), GPU1 at 45(c) and GPU2 at 50(c).
Playing WoW (semi-load): CPU: 49, Core: 53, GPU2: 70 (only use 1 GPU for WoW)
Playing Dragon Age (pretty much full load): CPU: 52, Core: 59, GPU1: 81 (max, averaged mid 70s) GPU2: 77

Are these temps OK with CPU at stock and the slight GPU OC I mentioned earlier? Would I be OK to do some slight OC'ing of my CPU given these temps? Also, is it OK/safe to use any of the ASUS OC'in utilities ( i.e TurboV etc...) or should I only use BIOS to OC?

Thanks very much for your help!
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2010 5:02:51 PM

Run a stress test, such as Prime95 or Intel Burn Test, and see what kind of temps you get at full load. If you google your processor, the manufacturer's website generally states the maximum operating temperature recommended, as well as the highest core voltage to use. Assuming you're under the max temps, then you should have room to OC.
June 22, 2010 6:25:19 PM

I ran Prime95 and posted the pics of my temps below. My CPU temp reached 59 and core temps went up to 67, which made me nervous. I've read conflicting info as to which reading I'm supposed to pay attention to (cpu vs core) and AMD recommends the max temp of 62 with the 955. Keep in mind that since this was my 1st time installing a cpu/heatsink, I may not have applied enough thermal paste (AS 5) or perhaps too much. I followed the directions on TH as close as possible, but I think some of the corners of the cpu didn't get paste on it as I found it difficult to spread around when applying such a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice). I'd very much like to OC my cpu a bit but certainly don't want to risk frying my processor so let me know what you guys think of these results. Thanks!

Related resources
June 23, 2010 10:53:49 PM

I finally went into my BIOS to see if I could figure out a way to lower my temps and I realized that my CPU is already slightly OC'd :pfff:  . Every setting I looked at was set to Auto, yet my core speed is at 3.467 ghz (955 stock is 3.2) and my voltage is at 1.46. From what I've read online, Asus mobo will set the Voltage to that level, but stock is actually 1.35. Am I correct in assuming that if I lowered the voltage to 1.35 that my temps would moderate a bit? I'm not expecting huge drops, but I'd think it could lower them by a few degrees. Also, would I be able to maintain the 3.4 OC or would I have to go back to stock (3.2 ghz)? Finally, what exact settings would I have to change in the BIOS? I dont have tons of experience adjusting BIOS settings, so i just want to be sure I'm not gonna fry anything by doing this. As always, thanks for your help.
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 11:21:01 PM

goodwidp said:
I ran Prime95 and posted the pics of my temps below. My CPU temp reached 59 and core temps went up to 67, which made me nervous. I've read conflicting info as to which reading I'm supposed to pay attention to (cpu vs core) and AMD recommends the max temp of 62 with the 955. Keep in mind that since this was my 1st time installing a cpu/heatsink, I may not have applied enough thermal paste (AS 5) or perhaps too much. I followed the directions on TH as close as possible, but I think some of the corners of the cpu didn't get paste on it as I found it difficult to spread around when applying such a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice). I'd very much like to OC my cpu a bit but certainly don't want to risk frying my processor so let me know what you guys think of these results. Thanks!

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3405/57678174.jpg

Can you tell me the exact CPU clock you are having trouble with? 59c with a TX3 is waaay off so you either applied the paste wrong or the cooler is not properly seated.

This is how you apply the paste :

use a card to spread it evenly

You will not fry anything as long as you do not exceed 65c / 1.5v
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 12:33:20 AM

goodwidp said:
I finally went into my BIOS to see if I could figure out a way to lower my temps and I realized that my CPU is already slightly OC'd :pfff:  . Every setting I looked at was set to Auto, yet my core speed is at 3.467 ghz (955 stock is 3.2) and my voltage is at 1.46. From what I've read online, Asus mobo will set the Voltage to that level, but stock is actually 1.35. Am I correct in assuming that if I lowered the voltage to 1.35 that my temps would moderate a bit? I'm not expecting huge drops, but I'd think it could lower them by a few degrees. Also, would I be able to maintain the 3.4 OC or would I have to go back to stock (3.2 ghz)? Finally, what exact settings would I have to change in the BIOS? I dont have tons of experience adjusting BIOS settings, so i just want to be sure I'm not gonna fry anything by doing this. As always, thanks for your help.

Here is another example, 78F ambient @ 3.8Ghz :

another shot after 15 min of Warhead, ambient jumped to 81F :

June 24, 2010 12:39:55 AM

OvrClkr said:
Can you tell me the exact CPU clock you are having trouble with? 59c with a TX3 is waaay off so you either applied the paste wrong or the cooler is not properly seated.

This is how you apply the paste :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/004-2.jpg

use a card to spread it evenly

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/005.jpg

You will not fry anything as long as you do not exceed 65c / 1.5v

Thanks for the response. I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that I didn't do a great job applying the paste for a few reasons (in addition to the fact it was my 1st attempt and had little to no clue what I was really doing ;)  ). One, my 2 video cards stay at reasonable temps even under heavy gaming (low to mid 70s with core and memory speeds OC'd via CCC) using only stock cooling, also I have several case fans (mentioned in 1st post) along with a 2nd fan on the TX3 which is blowing the warm air directly to the rear case exhaust fan. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm wondering if I could lower my voltages a bit to help lower my temps. I took a screenshot of CPU-Z displaying my CPU info, so hopefully that will answer your questions about the clock settings. I haven't changed anything since my initial post so these settings are what I had enabled when I ran Prime95. Thanks again for the help!

a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 1:17:03 AM

goodwidp said:
Thanks for the response. I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that I didn't do a great job applying the paste for a few reasons (in addition to the fact it was my 1st attempt and had little to no clue what I was really doing ;)  ). One, my 2 video cards stay at reasonable temps even under heavy gaming (low to mid 70s with core and memory speeds OC'd via CCC) using only stock cooling, also I have several case fans (mentioned in 1st post) along with a 2nd fan on the TX3 which is blowing the warm air directly to the rear case exhaust fan. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm wondering if I could lower my voltages a bit to help lower my temps. I took a screenshot of CPU-Z displaying my CPU info, so hopefully that will answer your questions about the clock settings. I haven't changed anything since my initial post so these settings are what I had enabled when I ran Prime95. Thanks again for the help!

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6308/62310cpuz.jpg

Your voltage is too high for that clock. You have a C3 which runs cooler and uses a bit less voltage compared to my C2 so try 1.38v and go from there. Keep lowering your vcore till you get a BSOD/freeze and then re-boot and raise the vcore up a notch and you should be good. If temps stay more or less the same then you will need to re-paste and re-seat cooler again ;) 

Next time you buy paste try MX-2 and ditch the AS5, this way you do not have to wait tons of hours for it to cure. After a few applications you will get the hang of it, its fairly easy just use an old debit/credit card to spread the paste evenly leaving a very thin layer.

June 24, 2010 3:09:22 AM

Thanks again. My next question is what I need to adjust in the BIOS to lower the voltage. The ASUS BIOS has a section titled "AI Tweaker" and within that section is a sub-section titled "CPU Offset voltage", which is at the 1.46 reading that CPU-Z is showing. Can I just lower that value to 1.38 or do I have to adjust any other values? Directly below that sub-section is one entitled "CPU/NB Offset Voltage" followed by "CPU VDDA Voltage". They were all set to AUTO, so can I get away with just adjusting the "CPU Offset" or do i need to mess with any Northbridge settings or anything else just to perform this undervolt? Thanks
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 4:10:01 AM

You can adjust the offset and leave the others on Auto if you want but when you leave a value on Auto it tends to apply more voltage than needed and in-turn this raises the boards temp. At 3.4Ghz I normally leave the NB at 1.3v and the SB at 1.22v. The CPU/NB frequency should be around 2000Mhz and the HT also at around 2000Mhz. Also make sure your ram timings/voltage/frequency are keyed in correctly as well ..

June 29, 2010 2:51:57 AM

I went ahead and adjusted the BIOS settings according to what you posted. I was able to set the RAM timings to the settings listed by the manufacturer (OCZ), which are 7-7-7-20. I did leave the RAM frequency on Auto however as the default speed is 1333 mhz (666.5 x2) but the closest option the BIOS listed was 847 mhz so I figured it was best to leave it at Auto. According to CPU-Z, the RAM freq. is @ 580 with timings at 7-7-7-20.
With the lowered VCore, it looks like it has had a positive effect on my temps. When playing Dragon Age the max Core temp hit 55 while it hit 59 with the old higher Vcore. Also, when running Prime 95 my cpu temp hit 52 max (old voltage was 59) and core temp only went up to 57 max (old voltage 67). My CPU speed is OC'd to 3.5 ghz. Based on these new temps with the lowered VCore do you think i could get away with trying to bump up my CPU speed a bit more? Also if I want to OC my 2 video cards, will that have any effect on CPU/Core temps and/or VCore? (And can I OC them using ATI CCC or am I better off using something like Rivatuner?) As always, thanks VERY much for your continued help.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I kept my SB at 1.10v rather than the 1.22 you suggested. The reason was when I entered 1.22 as the value it turned yellow which made me hesitant while keeping it at 1.10 remained blue like all default values, so i felt more comfortable with that.
a b K Overclocking
June 29, 2010 5:01:59 AM

When you play games your CPU temp should be much lower than when you run a prime/stress test so don't worry about the CPU over-heating in games. As long as you monitor your temps and make sure you do not over-volt you will be fine. So yes you should be able to get away with a bit more voltage w/o reaching the threshold.

You can keep your SB @ 1.10v, shouldn't be a problem unless you decide to go higher on the CPU clock/frequency.

Don't use CCC nor Riva, use Afterburner. It's user friendly and has everything you need.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

You can also use Everest Ultimate to monitor certain parts of your PC :

http://www.lavalys.com/products/everest-pc-diagnostics

June 29, 2010 5:11:34 AM

Thanks again for your help. Since my temps were lowered due to the decrease in voltage, I'd like to try and bump up my CPU freq to 3.6 or 3.7 range. Would I do that by raising the multiplier or is there something else I would have to adjust in BIOS? Also, do you think I could remain stable at higher speeds with my current voltage of 1.37 (or is that something I can only figure out by testing...) Finally, can I (or should I) try to raise my RAM speed or would it not make that much of a difference? Thank you.
a b K Overclocking
June 29, 2010 5:39:46 AM

You should be able to reach 3.6/3.7Ghz just by raising the multi and applying a bit more voltage.

Your ram is fine, if you want you can raise the bus a bit to get a higher frequency but it's not really necessary. For benching/gaming you will see a small increase in performance if you do decide to OC the ram, for everything else you will not notice a difference.
July 1, 2010 12:38:33 AM

I went ahead and lowered the System Bus back down to 200 and raised the multiplier to 18. I also raised the voltage to 1.42. It booted with no issues and I was able to run prime95 for about 10 min. with no problems either. In addition, I was able to set the RAM at it's correct frequency at 1333. I guess my question now is whether the temps are acceptable or not. During the test my CPU temp rose to 55 but my Core temps went up to 64 (using both CPUID HW and Core Temp). They would fluctuate between 63 and 64. I know 65 is the suggested max by AMD, so I wanted to see if you thought it would be safe to run prime95 overnight to test stability with the temps at that level.

Here are some pics of the temps and what CPU-Z is currently reporting. As always, thanks VERY much for your continued help.

a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 1:17:44 AM

Forget about individual core temp, people tend to think that if one core is way off it will damage the CPU. Well of course this is not true, one core will always be warmer than the other because you are not running the full 4 cores all the time.

So your overall CPU temp was 55c at load, as long as it stays at a constant 55/56c you are fine. Just make sure your "CPU" temp stays below 60c even if the threshold is higher, you don't want to shorten the lifespan of the CPU.

I normally run a stress test on the CPU for about 4/5 hours when I am done with a build, if it passes w/ tolerable temps then its done..
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 1:49:27 AM

You can take voltages off auto and manually set them. My c3 965 will do 3.6ghz stable undervolted to 1.325 (-.050v) with much lower operating temps than leaving it on auto at even stock speeds of 3.4. I can run 4.0ghz at 1.475v, but chose to keep it a bit lower for longevity (needs to survive till bulldozer, hah). My daily OC is 3.85ghz @ 1.41v. I am used a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with MX-2. The Tx3 is a fine HSF, and should have no problem removing the heat from bigger overclocks (provided the TIM is applied well) never mind the mild OC situation you are in now.

Not every chip is the same, but there should be some similarities. The fact that auto is forcing it up to 1.46v is undoubtedly the source of extra heat. Don't be afraid to set the voltages manually, as long as you keep it under 1.5v you will be just fine, and if it crashes from too low of a voltage you know to bump it a little. Not much other harm can be done in this process if you are cautious.
July 1, 2010 2:08:44 AM

OvrClkr said:
Forget about individual core temp, people tend to think that if one core is way off it will damage the CPU. Well of course this is not true, one core will always be warmer than the other because you are not running the full 4 cores all the time.

So your overall CPU temp was 55c at load, as long as it stays at a constant 55/56c you are fine. Just make sure your "CPU" temp stays below 60c even if the threshold is higher, you don't want to shorten the lifespan of the CPU.

I normally run a stress test on the CPU for about 4/5 hours when I am done with a build, if it passes w/ tolerable temps then its done..

Thats a bit of a relief as I've read in some places that I should focus on Core temps and since those were relatively high, it made me a bit nervous. While my voltage isn't set to Auto in the BIOS (I manually set it to 1.42 based on recommendations I received), I'm going to try and lower it in increments to see if I can get slightly lower temps while remaining stable. Having the clock at 3.6 is perfect for me as of right now because I bought the TX3 knowing I wasn't going to be able to do any major OC'ing (i.e-4.0) but since this is my 1st build I wanted to experiment with it just a bit. Eventually I plan on getting a better cooler (considering the H50, though I know people here seem to hate it ;)  ) and then try to really see what I can do with this thing. I only have about a inch or so between the top of the TX3 and the side panel of my case, so I dont think I'll ever be able to fit the likes of a Megahelm in here, which is why I am considering something more compact like the H50. (sorry for going off topic) I'll try lowering the voltages and see what results I get. As always, thanks very much.
July 1, 2010 2:23:02 AM

In case you want to compare notes, I have an AMD II x 4 955 BE as well. Here are my stable settings for 3.8GHz:

CPU Voltage 1.475
Bus Speed 200
NB Freq 2,400
RAM Timing 8-8-8-21
RAM Voltage 1.575
Cool-n-Quiet Disabled
Everything else on Auto

Core temp maxes out at 55c with ambient room temp around 75F. System spec in signature.

EDIT: If you're in the market for a better cooler. Here's a link to a comparison page:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.8GHz | ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO | G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1333 | GeForce 9800GT | Corsair 650W | WD 500GB | Scythe Kama Angle | Win 7 64-bit

a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 4:34:36 AM

goodwidp said:
Thats a bit of a relief as I've read in some places that I should focus on Core temps and since those were relatively high, it made me a bit nervous. While my voltage isn't set to Auto in the BIOS (I manually set it to 1.42 based on recommendations I received), I'm going to try and lower it in increments to see if I can get slightly lower temps while remaining stable. Having the clock at 3.6 is perfect for me as of right now because I bought the TX3 knowing I wasn't going to be able to do any major OC'ing (i.e-4.0) but since this is my 1st build I wanted to experiment with it just a bit. Eventually I plan on getting a better cooler (considering the H50, though I know people here seem to hate it ;)  ) and then try to really see what I can do with this thing. I only have about a inch or so between the top of the TX3 and the side panel of my case, so I dont think I'll ever be able to fit the likes of a Megahelm in here, which is why I am considering something more compact like the H50. (sorry for going off topic) I'll try lowering the voltages and see what results I get. As always, thanks very much.

Try putting another fan for push/pull, that should help a bit at high clocks. Also try re-pasting and re-seating. Eventually you will get it right, there is no need to buy another cooler ;) 

a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 4:36:30 AM

foggydj said:
In case you want to compare notes, I have an AMD II x 4 955 BE as well. Here are my stable settings for 3.8GHz:

CPU Voltage 1.475
Bus Speed 200
NB Freq 2,400
RAM Timing 8-8-8-21
RAM Voltage 1.575
Cool-n-Quiet Disabled
Everything else on Auto

Core temp maxes out at 55c with ambient room temp around 75F. System spec in signature.

EDIT: If you're in the market for a better cooler. Here's a link to a comparison page:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.8GHz | ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO | G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1333 | GeForce 9800GT | Corsair 650W | WD 500GB | Scythe Kama Angle | Win 7 64-bit

your 955 needs 1.475v to operate @ 3.8Ghz?
July 1, 2010 4:42:49 AM

Yeah, it becomes unstable at lower voltages.
July 1, 2010 4:45:56 AM

Thanks Ovr. I actually added a 2nd fan to the TX3 a week or two ago and it helped lower my temps a few degrees. I do have a few more questions about my BIOS settings, as they seemed to have changed a bit since reverting my system bus back to 200 and raising the mult. to 18. I am confused because when I go to run Prime 95 now, CPU-Z shows my voltage drop to 1.32V, even though its set to 1.3875 in BIOS. When Prime 95 isnt running the Voltage is at 1.38, but as soon as load goes to 100% it drops, causing the PC to reset after a few minutes due to instability. Here are my BIOS settings, so if someone could take a look and suggest what to adjust so my voltage remains at the level I set in BIOS I'd greatly appreciate it. (FWIW the voltage mode is now manual whereas it was set to offset before I raised the multiplier, so that may have something to do with it.)

CPU Ratio-18.0
DRAM Freq- 1333mhz
CPU/NB Freq- 1800mhz
HT Link Speed- 1800mhz
CPU & NB Voltage- Manual
CPU Voltage- 1.3875 (Though it says 1.356 in gray next to where I enter my custom value)
SB Voltage- 1.10
All other settings- Auto

Also, I am unable to disable CoolnQuiet and C1E under CPU Configuration. Both of these options are gray and I'm unable to modify them in any way. I know people say to disable these when trying to OC, but I'm at a loss as to why I cant change these.

As always, thanks very much.
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 4:50:53 AM

that's odd, I have a C2 and it can do 3.8Ghz with 1.43v or 3.9Ghz with 1.45v.

Here are a few screen-shots of my Bios :

July 1, 2010 5:00:32 AM

Thanks Ovr...your BIOS is a bit different than mine, so would it help if I tried taking pics of mine and posting them to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with?
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 5:08:36 AM

The values should be more or less the same, I might have a few more but the most important ones are the CPU, CPU/NB, HT and NB volts. All others can be left on AUTO if you want but it is not recommended because just like jofamang pointed out, your board will apply more voltage than needed and in-turn raising your overall temps by quite a bit. As you can see I have 0 values set to AUTO, I don't need more heat =)

July 1, 2010 5:37:40 AM

Here are some screens of my BIOS. I tried adjusting some values, like the HT and NB volts, but they both turned yellow (from blue) which made me wary, so I left them as they were. Also when I tried raising the CPU/NB Voltage to 1.3 (from 1.100) it turned Red, which I'm sure isn't a good thing, so I also left that alone. I'm afraid to do any gaming or anything else relatively stressful to the CPU until I can get my voltages at a stable level, so hopefully these pics will help a bit in your analysis of my settings. Thank you.

a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 4:41:06 PM

A few adjustments :

1. Change the AI Overclock Tuner to "manual"
2. CPU voltage to 1.4v (later on you can lower or raise if needed)
3. CPU/NB to 1.25v (later on you can lower or raise if needed)
4. Don't leave your RAM voltage on auto, key in the correct value (this way it does not flutuate/cause instability).
5. Try keeping the HT and NB voltage as close as possible.
6. Change the SB voltage to 1.2v (it will go slightly over 1.2v if you leave it on "Auto" anyways)
7. CPU and CPU/NB LOADLINE CALIBRATION should be set to "enabled" (reduces vdroop).
8. CPU and PCI-E SPREAD SPECTRUM should be set to "disabled".

Let me know the outcome =)
July 1, 2010 5:31:42 PM

OK, I made most of the changes you posted except for a few. When I tired changing the CPU/NB and SB voltages to their new values (1.25 and 1.2 respectively) the values became yellow (actually the CPU/NB was pink, which I assume is worse than yellow), which always makes me nervous, so I set them to the closest value possible to what you recommended while still remaining blue (1.15 CPU/NB and 1.15 SB). All the other values I changed according to your post. CPU-Z is showing a VCore of 1.404-1.416 at idle and temps are 42 (cpu) and 43 (core) at idle. They are a bit higher than in the past, but only because of the slightly higher voltages. I will try running Prime95 now to see if the VCore stays where it should, rather than dropping down again like previous attempts. Hopefully I will be able to lower my VCore to lessen temps and still remain stable. Here are pics of the latest BIOS settings.

Edit:I forgot to key in value for DRAM voltage. It's 1.65 according to manufacturer's website, so consider that change made.

July 1, 2010 5:59:59 PM

I went ahead and tried out Prime95 with the new settings for about 5-6 minutes. CPU-Z reported the voltage steady at 1.428, which is good in the sense that it's not dropping anymore like it was doing, but I'd like to think I could lower that number to lessen temps and still remain stable. Core temps fluctuated between 62-64 though CPU temp stayed at 55. If I wanted to lower the VCore (which I do), would I have to adjust any other voltages or settings or could I just focus on that value? Also, is it safe to do any gaming for now, or should I wait until I run Prime95 for several hours to ensure stability? I want to wait for your word until I do anything else as you've been incredibly helpful so far.

One thing I forgot to mention in previous post is even though you said to keep HT and NB voltages close to each other, I wasnt sure which to raise or to lower (and to what values) so I left them on AUTO for now (as you can see in the above pics)

As always, thanks VERY much!
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 6:23:49 PM

Dont worry if the color of the value changes, 1.25v for the CPU N/B is considered low but for now you can leave it alone. As far as the CPU volage goes you can try dropping it down to 1.38v and run a quick test to see where it tops out at.
July 1, 2010 11:01:41 PM

I figured having a value turn yellow wasn't disastrous, I think I just needed to hear that from you to make me feel better about it. ;) 

I lowered the CPU voltage again in BIOS to 1.375 and got better results in Prime95. Though CPU-Z was showing the voltage at 1.404, my cpu temps went down 1 degree to 54, but my core temps dropped 4 degrees down to 60 max. I also ran the test for a bit longer this time (@15 min.). Is it safe for me to just keep lowering the VCore until Prime95 crashes after a few minutes, then raise it back to the last working level? Also, am I OK to do some gaming with my current setup, or do I have to run Prime95 overnight to ensure it really is rock solid first? Thanks.
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 11:21:46 PM

Yes it is safe to find the lowest possible voltage needed for that clock. No need to run prime @ 3.6Ghz when it comes to gaming, you should be fine =)
July 1, 2010 11:40:40 PM

Thanks again. Based on what you said, I think I'm gonna leave everything as-is for now. I may try to go for 3.8 or 4 when I get a better cooler down the road, but I dont plan on doing that for another yr. or so. Few final questions: Should I adjust anything else like HT or CPU/NB Freq or CPU/NB Voltage for now (that would help in performance) or just leave it alone? Also, does the fact that I'm running crossfire (2 4850's) change anything in terms of settings? I read somewhere that some people adjust their HT freq due to having 2 gpu's. Can I get away with trying to OC my 2 cards with a OC'd cpu? Would it provide a bump in fps? Can I use ATI CCC or have to use something like Rivatuner? I tired MSI Afterburner but I had some problems with it and I have more comfort and experience with CCC. As always, thanks very much. You've really been a tremendous asset with this whole process.
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2010 3:16:03 AM

Better just leave your settings alone, especially if it's stable. You can OC the cards if needed, no need to adjust anything in the bios for that. Use Afterburner for your GPU overclocking needs, what problems were you having?

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

The higher the clocks the more frames you will get but make sure to create a fan curve to keep temps down :

I don't use CCC, for me its a waste of time since it does not have all the functions I need.
July 2, 2010 3:45:04 AM

Last time I used Afterburner, when I went to set my cards back to stock speeds my screens started to artifact like crazy and then the PC reset itself. I reinstalled it though this evening and did incremental increases in core and memory speeds using Furmark to bench the results. I'm currently using 655/1034 (stock is 625/993) and did a 20 min. stress test to see if they're stable. I had no problems, and while temps got a bit warm (80), these cards are built for those temps and I know they'll never get that hot from gaming. I left my fans on Auto though...I tired manual but they got absurdly loud (using stock fans/cooler) and the temps only dropped by a degree or two, so I didn't think it was worth it.
July 30, 2010 11:34:27 PM

So, I just installed a Hyper 212+ that I got from my local Microcenter for 19.99 and I'm already noticing about a 3-5 degree drop in temps. Idle cpu temps and mid-hi 30's (low to mid 40s with TX3) and low 50's at load (Prime 95...mid to high 50's with TX3). Keep in mind I have pretty high ambients @ 30-31 and the AS5 was just applied, so I expect it will drop a degree or two as it cures. I added a 2nd CM Fan to the 212 for push pull, though I had to connect the 2nd fan to a fan controller so they're not running at identical speeds (push fan @ 1800rpm, pull @ 1300). Not sure how much of a difference maker this is.

My main point is, given that my temps are lower, I would like to see what I should do to achieve 3.8 or perhaps even slightly higher. Assuming all the settings mentioned in last few posts are the same (which they are), could I just raise the multiplier and Vcore, or would I have to adjust FSB as well? Is 3.9 or 4 realistic, or is 3.8 about as good as it will get with the 212? As always, thanks for your help.
August 6, 2010 7:31:18 PM

After letting the AS5 cure for almost a week I'm getting Prime 95 load temps of 52 for cpu (core temps are higher at 58) with a VCore of 1.38. After doing a bit of reading, it seems like a 4.0 OC is out of the question, but I would like to bump my speed up to 3.8. I'm still not sure whether it would be better to do a simple multiplier/VCore increase or raise the FSB to achieve the 3.8. I've read conflicting opinions, so I want to see if anyone with a 955 has some advice they could share before I attempt it. Thanks very much.
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 8:40:16 PM

goodwidp said:
After letting the AS5 cure for almost a week I'm getting Prime 95 load temps of 52 for cpu (core temps are higher at 58) with a VCore of 1.38. After doing a bit of reading, it seems like a 4.0 OC is out of the question, but I would like to bump my speed up to 3.8. I'm still not sure whether it would be better to do a simple multiplier/VCore increase or raise the FSB to achieve the 3.8. I've read conflicting opinions, so I want to see if anyone with a 955 has some advice they could share before I attempt it. Thanks very much.

next time ditch AS5 and get MX-2 or better. AS5 is outdated, takes too long to cure, can harm your board if you leave any traces and is overpriced ;) 

I basically have the same CPU that you have, what do your Bios settings look like?

did you manually key in most of the values or did you leave them on auto?

August 7, 2010 7:14:59 PM

Thanks for the reply Ovr. Considering how helpful you were in my first 3.6 OC attempt, I was really hoping you would offer your insight here as well. Here are pics of my BIOS:

a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2010 10:23:26 PM

you need to change your CPU/NB frequency and voltage regardless if it turns yellow or pink. Nothing is going to happen as long as you monitor your temps, as long as you don't go over 1.4v for the NB and HT voltage you will be fine. Use the above Bios screen-shots that I posted as an example, I have those set like that on a daily basis.

Try raising the CPU voltage to at least 1.45v + raise the multiplier to 19x and raise your CPU/NB frequency from 2000 to 2200Mhz and give it 1.3v. Play with your clocks, all CPU's are different, some like more voltage and some like less. You need to find your "sweet spot", as long as you keep the CPU temp below 60c and the voltage (CPU) under 1.5v you will be fine.
August 9, 2010 3:08:18 AM

Thanks again Ovr. I made most of the changes you suggested. I rose the multiplier to 19, the CPU/NB Frequency and HT Link Speed to 2200 and set the VCore at 1.415. However, when I run Prime95 my VCore jumps to 1.43-1.44. I'm not sure if that normal, but I'm sure it's contributing to higher temps. After 20 min. of prime 95 my Core temps got to 63-64 but my CPU temps stayed in mid to hi 50's. I'm using HWMonitor to monitor temps and just wanted to be 100% sure that it's the CPU temp I have to keep below 62 and not the core temp. Here is a pic of GPU-Z and HWMonitor right after 20 minutes of Prime 95:
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 3:17:12 AM

If you can install CoreTemp, I can give direct comparisons :D 
August 9, 2010 8:53:52 PM

I also have CoreTemp and the CPU #0 temp reading is the same as the Core #0 temp on HWMonitor, so CoreTemp is showing 64 Celsius under Prime95 which it too hot according to AMD. I've done some gaming with the current 3.8 setting and in HWMonitor my Core temps only reach high 50s (CPU temp in mid 50s) so that's OK, but they get too hot in Prime95, so not sure how I should handle this. I plan on getting the H70 in a few weeks once it's out, so hopefully my temp issues will be a non-factor after that. Thanks.
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 8:56:47 PM

JofaMang said:
Haha, You tapping both me and ovr, good job (he's better though). I can start contributing to this thread instead, or if a mod can combine this one and the other new one, that would be cool too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261061-29-temps-quest...

be my guest ;)  , I was just trying to help out the OP get a better understanding of whats needed for the OC.
August 9, 2010 9:17:57 PM

OvrClkr said:
be my guest ;)  , I was just trying to help out the OP get a better understanding of whats needed for the OC.

Thanks Ovr. Based on my last few posts, how do you think my 3.8 OC is going considering the high core temps? According to HWMon my Core temps are high, but my CPU temps are reasonable. My voltage is 1.416 to 1.428 at idle, but it jumps to 1.43-1.44 under Prime, which I'm sure is raising my temps a bit. Ideally I'd like to get it where my voltage is stable (unless it's supposed to get a boost when under load) and my OC is stable with reasonable temps. Keep in mind my ambient temps are high (30) and me 2 fans on the 212+ run at different speeds and I'm not sure how much of a difference maker that is. As always, thanks very much.
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 9:29:40 PM

goodwidp said:
Thanks Ovr. Based on my last few posts, how do you think my 3.8 OC is going considering the high core temps? According to HWMon my Core temps are high, but my CPU temps are reasonable. My voltage is 1.416 to 1.428 at idle, but it jumps to 1.43-1.44 under Prime, which I'm sure is raising my temps a bit. Ideally I'd like to get it where my voltage is stable (unless it's supposed to get a boost when under load) and my OC is stable with reasonable temps. Keep in mind my ambient temps are high (30) and me 2 fans on the 212+ run at different speeds and I'm not sure how much of a difference maker that is. As always, thanks very much.

voltage will always fluctuate, as long as your "CPU" temp stays below 60c at load you have nothing to worry about. My ambient is also high ATM, right now my CPU idles at 40c and tops out at around 52/53c @ 3.8Ghz.

Just to give you an example of how I run my x4 :

August 10, 2010 3:34:04 AM

Thanks again Ovr. I think I'm OK with my OC for now. I plan on picking up an H70 in the next few weeks, and maybe will attempt 4.0, but that's down the road. What is the advantage of OC'ing my HT link speed? Just curious as I don't know tons of info regarding it. Thanks.
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 2:59:26 PM

OCing the HT link in my experience, has done absolutely nothing for my performance in benchmarks and gaming, and has only introduced instability when pushing it. After getting it to 2600 (to match my NB) and seeing nothing more than the standard variance between benchmarks, I dropped it back down to 2000 and stock voltage.

Perhaps there are dividends from OCing the HT link when OCing with extreme cooling (Dry Ice, LN2 etc) but I can't say for sure if it is worth it for general daily use.
!