Rampage II Gene, Bootup's, and Windows 7

Leinahtan

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have a few questions concerning Windows 7 & the Rampage II Gene.

First, are there any Windows 7 drivers/updates for the motherboard I should immediately download and apply? The disc's setup.exe didn't work in Windows 7.

Next, can the Rampage II Gene disc function as a boot disc in any way? During bootup we left the disc in (and hadn't changed the boot sequence from CD, back to Hard Drive. After a while we rebooted the system because the system didn't boot back to Win7 fast enough, and the screen was black (we were using a crappy testing monitor, so we assumed that first).

Finally, are there any issues associated with Windows 7 & Rampage II gene? I've downloaded the Win7 Nvidia 64 bit drivers and the games seem to be working perfectly fine.

No u dont need to instal any drivers from the motherboard since Win7 recognizes all of them.
I myself have a ASUS MAXIMUS FORUMULA and first i tried to install drivers from motherboards CD but it gave me the "OS not supported" error but after that i found out that u dont need to install any drivers from the motherboard since as i said W7 recognizes them.

About your second question,what do u mean by disk function ?

About your last question,well u already answered your self :D u dont have any problems with it so its fine ;) (There are always some users that have bad/good experience with something)so test for yourself and find how it works for u :)

Leinahtan

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Ill clarify the second one :p . When we finally assembled the computer, we changed the bootup sequence so that the DVD-Rom was first and stuck the Win7 disc in. Win7 installed perfectly fine. Afterward, we tried to install the Asus Rampage II drivers fromt he disc, but we got the error you mentioned - "OS not supported". We then powered it down, unplugged the computer, and moved it into another room with internet access (so we can download the newest Nvidia Drivers). Turned it on, and black screen for what seemed a long time, so we shut the computer down hard. It was then that we realized the Asus Rampage II disc was in there still and the bootup sequence was CD Rom first, then Hard Drive. Removed the disc quickly, and the computer booted up in a reasonable amount of time (maybe we were more patient, can't remember ;p ). My worry here is - Did the boot up sequence succeed in running the disc and try to update the Bios in any way, and we restarted it in the middle of it? Or did it try to boot from the disc and just hang there since it couldn't? I find it odd, and maybe its a feature of Win7, but during the last 2 bootups I viewed, I didn't see any "post" screens, went straight to 7. Maybe because my spare monitor is a hunk of !)#@*, but I'm unsure.

I should also mention that the computer I have been building was for my Friend, which means I don't have access to it at the moment till later tonight. We installed a Zalman CNPS9900 LED or whatever fan on the CPU (i7 920), as well as drilling and threading an extra hole into the chasis so the mATX could use all 8 of its MB screws. We replaced the rear fan with an Antec fan, and plugged that one into the MB. All in all, I'm just worried about 1 thing going wrong and screwing the whole thing over, be it heat related, Win7, or the Asus Board.

dazsears

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
The Asus Rampage Gene II disc has Kaspersky antivirus on it so it will bry and boot to that if you leave the disk in.

No damage caused just don't try and boot the disc :eek: