GeForce Go 7800 v Go 7900GS

G

Alright... long story short, I had an Inspiron 9400 with 7900GS that crapped out... they tried replacing parts over and over and nothing so they ended up sending me a whole new computer. They told me that if they were out of stock of any products then they would upgrade me to the next best part.

Needless to say I got this laptop today with a GeForce Go 7800 (checked via Device Manager). I'm not exactly the most intelligent when it comes to graphics cards, but it seems to me like this would be a downgrade. To boot I did my Windows Performance Scores on vista and all scores remained the same, except Gaming Graphics which dropped from 5.4 and 5.1.

Here is the link from nVidia where you can compare the two towards the bottom of the page:
CLICK ME!

It seems to me as if the only thing the 7800 wins out on is Memory Bandwidth (GB/Sec).

Please help, Dell is really startin to get on my nerves.

Thanks

7800? Not a 7800 GTX?

If so, it's a slight downgrade, though it's in the same rough class, so I wouldn't worry too much. If it's a 7800 GTX, it's actually an upgrade.

G

Nope, when I click on Device Manager the exact text is 'nVidia GeForce Go 7800.'

And you're probably right, I've been without a laptop for 3 weeks now so I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle again.

Hopefully gaming performance won't be too downgraded, as the one site I checked showed 1.5-2x better 3d benchmarking performance with the 7900gs over the 7800.