Entire Network Upgrade 10/100 to Gigabit g/b to -n

antispam246

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I would like to upgrade/update my entire home network and I'm seeking any advice specifically on hardware purchasing.

My current home network consists of the following

- ADSL Broadband
- Netgear DG834v2 4 port wired ADSL router
- Netgear DG834v3 4 port 54mpbs wireless ADSL router

The wireless router is wired to the wired router to extend my wired capabilities while allowing wireless. Basically, giving my wired network wireless options.

Wired Connections
- Dell Dimension 5150 PC with Intel PRO/100 VE Network Adapter (Ethernet)
- Dell PowerEdge SC440 PC with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
- XBOX 360 Wired (standard) 10/100 ethernet
- XBOX with XBMC Wired x 2 (standard) Integrated 10/100BASE-TX wired ethernet

All wired connections are done with standard CAT5/CAT5e Cabling, all are fairly short wires except one which reaches about 7 metres.

Wireless Connections
- Samsung N110 with Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300 - Network adapter (draft n)
- Dell 1501 Laptop with Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN mini-Card 802.11
- HP Laptop with Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wifi Adapter
- Dell Dimension 8400 with Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter 802.11g 54Mbps

All the above wireless connections also have wired connections but they only use they're wireless, for the sake of upgrading I can consider wired where it's more suitable.

Other wireless connections
- Nintendo Wii (standard) Mitsumi DWM-W004 Wifi 802.11b/g wireless module
- Nintendo DS Lite x 2 (standard) 802.11 wifi
- Blackberry Pearl 8120 (standard)

I think that's about it.

The Wii/DS's and Blackberry Pearl aren't really a concern as far as upgrading and the effects on the upgraded network although I am interested in hearing anything relevant to them.

I don't have an expansive knowledge of networking but I think I know enough to know sort of what I'm after as far as upgrading.

Firstly the wired network.

I'd like to take this up a notch, move from 10/100 to Gigabit ethernet. I think stepping up to 10 Gigabit would be too much, right?

Ok, I need a router which supports gigabit right? I need a gigabit router that can support atleast 2 or more gigabit connections, I think. I really do like my netgear routers, I've had them for many years and they've been solid as a rock but as it's time for an upgrade I don't mind considering other brands. i'm assuming backward compatibility will still be supportable, if say for the XBOX's I need 10/100?

So I'd be looking at replacing the wired connection in my Dell 5150. I think the Dell SC440 has gigabit support, if anyone can verify it's ok that'd be handy.

As for the XBOX's running XBMC I'm not sure I can do anything here, i'll look into mods for upgrading the ethernet adapter but i'm guessing it's a no no.

As for the XBOX 360, same as above, although it may have more support in upgrading? Possibly even going wireless but again not sure if the 360 can support wireless draft -n?

So, what's the best gigabit ethernet card for my upgrade (Dell 5150) and if necessary for any other wired connection (Dell SC440)?

Secondly - Wireless network.

Ok, again the router obviously needs updating as a starting point. Same as the other router although more specific. Obviously need the draft n support, I'd also ideally like dual band support for 5Ghz. I think you can get wirless N routers with gigabit support to. I still want 2 routers as I need the additional wired ports. Unless there is an all in one solution like 8 ports for gigabit, 10/100 and wireless n with dual band. Any recommendations appreciated. Anything else I may need to consider just let me know.

Ok for the Dell laptop 1501, Dell Dimension 8200 and the HP laptop they all need wireless n adapters. So I need suggestions on those that will compliment the rest of the hardware. The Dell 8200 can take an internal card PCI so doesn't have to have USB which kinda blows anyway.

Thirdly - Cabling

i'm assuming i'll have to upgrade all my wired cabling for best throughput, so would CAT6 be the way to go, or is there something better. Again as with everything specifics would be great, if you can point me to where the hardware can be purchased or what it is exactly.

Well that's all I think as far as what hardware I need to upgrade. I'd like to hear or read anything that may help. Obviously I have a quite expansive network so things could get complicated. I know certain device just can not be upgraded and I'd like to know how that will effect the network.

For example with the nintendo wii and Ds's if they cannect to the wireless n router will all other devices that can support -n suffer? But will they improve when they're not connected? These devices wouldn't be connected all the time so I'm hoping I won't have to worry about a permanent slow down on the wireless with that.

If there's anything else you think would help me, please just give me a shout or anything else you need to know to advise me further just ask.

I'm figuring this could be expensive but also hoping it doesn't have to be overkill. I'm kinda flexible on pricing so my budget can accomodate any reasonable suggestions.

Many thanks in advance, i'll be constantly checking on replies.

EDIT: 24-11-12 - Didn't want to bump an old thread but don't like leaving things unanswered so i'll update with resolution.

As you can imagine with the time that's passed alot of the hardware has been updated, so much so I needn't worry about the slower connections, specifically wireless.

Running a Netgear WNDR3700 router as the main for a fibre optic connection. This is gigabit and hooked directly to a gigabit GS108T switch (managed) which in turn is hooked directly to a GS108 switch (unmanaged).

The WNDR3700 manages all wireless connection, it is dual band so I can manage both 2.4 and 5Ghz simultaneously as well as slower connections, namely b/g on separate channel as to not affect speeds of faster connections.

The GS108T has 8 ports and manages all gigabit clients.
The GS108 has 8 ports and manages all 10/100 clients.

As these all run individually, there is no negative impact on transfer speeds.

RESOLVED

antispam246

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I'm unfamiliar with that acronym.

Anyway, yes, I do plan on and do already frequently move many files back and forth between machines which is exactly why I wanted the wired upgrade because the current wired network is horrendously slow.

Edit: Got it. I'll refrain from commenting on that. lol.

antispam246

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Ok, I've been reading up alot and I've decided on a few things hardware wise.

Gigabit Switch

Looking at 2 models

- Netgear GS108
- Netgear GS608

Not much difference here as far as I can tell. Both have later revisions

I think Netgear GS108T and Netgear GS608 v2 that both support jumbo frames which is always a nice feature to have. Both price the same'ish

the 108 is more business oritentated product and 608 home based. So unless there's any reason why I shouldn't get one of these as my switch?

Gigabit NIC's

Found a few after researching. Most popular is Intel's brand

- Intel pro/1000 GT Dekstop Adapter
- Intel pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter
- Netgear GA311 Gigabit Adapter

All support 10/100/1000 which is all I need to know.

I think the Intel MT is a older version and GT being the new, I'm not sure what the diffference are if any and whether it matters. If the chipset is different and if it matters?

Again all price the same'ish. GT slightly more as the newer model. I can pick up the MT's really cheap so I'd go for them unless there was a valid reason to go for say GT?

sturm

Splendid
I think your best bet is to go with a gigabit switch and just plug everything into it. Take your pick on what switch. Leave the wireless stuff as it is.
As for the cabling you will be fine with Cat5e in most cases. I would ONLY upgrade to cat 6 if you have a problem with a line. Cat5e can run Gig just fine in the distances you are running.

antispam246

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Yeh I read cat5e is good upto 100m so i'll stick with that for now.

You're saying leave the wireless alone. I'm tempted as it's the most difficult part as far as what to choose.

I'm at the point where i'm thinking wirless n with a separate adsl modem. As the only one that suits all my needs with adsl built in is the Draytek 2930n but its pricey and i'm not sure exactly how good it is.

If I leave the wireless as it is, won't that drastically reduce transfer performance from LAN to WAN and visa versa? That's why I was looking for an n router with gigabit to cover that. Or merely n draft itself.

keithsplace

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I am in about the same boat, I have many connections, both wireless and wired, repair bench, NAS, NW Printer, bla bla bla.
Sounds like you need a gaming router that is dual band and Gigabit capable.
Here are the two choices I have been looking into.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=DDevWSuvtFI&subid=&offerid=102327.1&type=10&tmpid=3883&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tigerdirect.com%2Fapplications%2FSearchTools%2Fitem-details.asp%3FEdpNo%3D3535372%2526CatId%3D2668

and

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=DDevWSuvtFI&subid=&offerid=102327.1&type=10&tmpid=3883&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tigerdirect.com%2Fapplications%2FSearchTools%2Fitem-details.asp%3FEdpNo%3D3586333%2526CatId%3D2668

I haven't decided which way I am going yet but I suppose I will bite the bullet and spend the money..
I have tried several cheap wireless routers and access points with limited success... with range and dropping connections..
I have a rockin Cable connection that gets 30Mbps down and about 1.5Mbps upstream most of the time.
My wired connections are always super, just need to power down and up the freeekin wireless all the time.
I will not buy a Linksys, untill Cisco makes it there own, or a HotBrick, I have a Cheap TrendNet now, and I have had good
expereince with D-Link before, but I sold it..
Good luck and I hope this helps.

foxy_roxy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
May I suggest "upgrading" the LAN cable to Cat 6a cable. This relatively inexpensive upgrade ties in nicely with all the upgrades you have planned for your network :)

G

Please I was wondering did you up grade your Samsung N110 to Samsung N110 with Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300 - Network adapter (draft n)? if so how dd you go about it please?

G

Please I know its off topic byt your Samsung N110 with Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300 - Network adapter (draft n) did you change this yourself and how well does it work? Also did you have any issues?

Many Thanks

Jon

antispam246

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Sorry, just saw the e-mail notification of a reply to this thread.

Yes, I upgraded it myself and it works perfectly. With the latest drivers and connected to the 5ghx channel on my Netgear WNDR3700 router I maintain speeds of 270 to 300mbps. These speeds are pretty much fixed, never dropping within my household.

Here's some useful links.

Discussion on 5300 in N110/NC10
http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?152.0

How to do it (Guide I followed)
http://www.tomacintosh.com/2009/03/25/how-to-changing-wifi-card-in-samsung-nc10/