Sign in with
Your question

I7 930 OCing Advice

Last response: in Overclocking
June 23, 2010 5:10:21 AM

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie OCer and I'm just learning how to do it so far.

My Specs:
Asus P6X58D-E Mobo
i7 930 (d0 stepping)
6gb ddr3-1600mhz 7-8-7-20 Corsair XMS3 Ram
Cooler Master Sniper Storm Case

My current BIOS settings:

CPU:
BCLK: 200
Multiplier: 21 ---> 4.4gHz
1.25 vcore (my mobo won't allow me to go lower for this clock, but I don't know why).

Ram: 1604 mHz (7-8-7-20)

Everything else is set to auto, hyperthreading off, turboboost off.

I'm using an indigo xtreme TIM and a noctua nh-d14 cooler (I've gone thru reflow already.) My current max temperatures are around 75-77 (depending on ambient) with prime95.

If/when I plan to clock higher, what should I do? Should I increase multiplier or BCLK? And how much? Also, should I OC my ram, and by how much? What do I need to do to increase ram speed? I just want to keep my max temperature under 85 with prime95.

More about : 930 ocing advice

a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 8:04:10 PM

Nice setup! You already have a nice OC and the RAM is running at the rated speed. Increasing the RAM speed will give only marginal performance benefits and you run the risk of higher voltages (heat issues) and probably lower RAM speeds.

However, if you are still interested in increasing the OC, read some of the nic guides on this site. I have OCed my i7 to 3.82GHz, and underclocked my 1600MHz RAM to 1460MHz. Idle temps are 30 degs C, and temps while running Call of Duty - Modern Warfare is around 45 degs. C
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 9:25:05 PM

dvtran93 said:
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie OCer and I'm just learning how to do it so far.

My Specs:
Asus P6X58D-E Mobo
i7 930 (d0 stepping)
6gb ddr3-1600mhz 7-8-7-20 Corsair XMS3 Ram
Cooler Master Sniper Storm Case

My current BIOS settings:

CPU:
BCLK: 200
Multiplier: 21 ---> 4.4gHz
1.25 vcore (my mobo won't allow me to go lower for this clock, but I don't know why).

Ram: 1604 mHz (7-8-7-20)

I'm using an indigo xtreme TIM and a noctua nh-d14 cooler (I've gone thru reflow already.) My current max temperatures are around 75-77 (depending on ambient) with prime95.

If/when I plan to clock higher, what should I do? Should I increase multiplier or BCLK? And how much? Also, should I OC my ram, and by how much? What do I need to do to increase ram speed? I just want to keep my max temperature under 85 with prime95.

Man, I was in awe until I saw you had HT disabled. (Any reason for that?)

Nice OC.
Not to many people go further than that on air, but if you wanted to, see if your board is fine with a higher BLCK... People say i7's don't like even multipliers. (although personally I've never had an issue with them)

Also... I'd almost prefer stock or even lower ram frequencies with tighter timings. So I usually see where it runs at 1600MHz, then ill inch it down til I can get tighter stable timings. So instead of 9-9-9-24 at 1600MHz, I can get 8-8-8-21 at ~1550. :p 
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 11:48:03 PM

dvtran93 said:

You might want to be careful letting the Bios decide (auto) what voltage is necessary, it tends to overvolt and really doesn't care about what the max recommended voltages are that are safe.

Also (just FYI) the max "safe" temperature for your processor is 67.9c (tcase), so low 70's core temperature, and yes I'm aware that a lot of people say why not go higher using Prime95 my computer won't ever max out all the core like that during normal use and my reply is no one sits and watches their temps every minute they are on their computer to know if one or more cores are maxed out and possible doing damage. I like to play it safe and know no matter what I'm doing on my computer, I KNOW I'm never going to exceed a safe temperature no matter what program/game is running and I don't have to watch my temps all the time. But of course everyone has to decide what risks they will take with their own computer when overclocking.

BTW, nice OC 4.2 Ghz w/1.25v......very nice :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 2:58:17 AM

RJR said:
You might want to be careful letting the Bios decide (auto) what voltage is necessary, it tends to overvolt and really doesn't care about what the max recommended voltages are that are safe.

Also (just FYI) the max "safe" temperature for your processor is 67.9c (tcase), so low 70's core temperature, and yes I'm aware that a lot of people say why not go higher using Prime95 my computer won't ever max out all the core like that during normal use and my reply is no one sits and watches their temps every minute they are on their computer to know if one or more cores are maxed out and possible doing damage. I like to play it safe and know no matter what I'm doing on my computer, I KNOW I'm never going to exceed a safe temperature no matter what program/game is running and I don't have to watch my temps all the time. But of course everyone has to decide what risks they will take with their own computer when overclocking.

BTW, nice OC 4.2 Ghz w/1.25v......very nice :) 

I like this type of good conservative approach! Measured and calculated risks. No problems.
m
l
!