General cooling in desert areas

lonecoyote

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Firstly, I would think this would be best place for this but I apologize in advance if a more appropriate forum exists.

Here's the situation.

I live in an area that gets to the high 40s (C or in F 100 teens). Only good thing, is this is dry heat, being it's a desert area (southern california).

What is different this year, is I now have my server local. There's a couple problems though (besides the obvious of server on 24/7 = more heat in this room) - I'm not actually after cooling the system per se but more so the room.

I am sure some will say air conditioner. Good idea, but there's three things to keep in mind :

1) We have central air but the thermostat (where it can be) is in coolest room in the house. Also, I am very sensitive to any amount of heat, so keeping the rest of the house cold so I can be even semi comfortable would be a bit ridiculous (plus power bill).

2) The only thing remotely like a window : sliding glass window. There are window casement air conditioners, true, but this requires building a stand for it [think other things too], and in general I think it's far more a hassle than it will benefit me. We could also drill a hole in the wall. This may be the only option, but of course this means covering server and I won't do that while it's on. And server off = mail server off, and so on (I really need to setup a backup server but for now ...).

3) This room is on first floor of the house, and as such drilling a hole in the ceiling for ceiling air conditioners, is sort of out of the question.

Now, I've never been big on overclocking. I've thought of it at times, but always more busy with other things I enjoy (code for example). But naturally, overclockers [hence this forum] tend to want things cooler. Question or thought is something a friend thought may be something to look in to:

Would a water cooling setup allow less heat to escape into the room ? I know it keeps the computer cooler (which is a huge bonus by itself and may be something to consider anyway) but how or where does the heat 'go', so to speak ? Of course, there's still the issue of a hot/dry climate, and I may still need air conditioning, but anything helps, as they say. I did read the guide here about water cooling (well done, only I didn't get an idea of how or where heat escapes [then again, I read it at 1am or so]).

So, any thoughts or suggestions (wrt keeping the room cool the computers are in, not the computers by themselves).

Thanks.

You could buy a ventless/mini-split air conditioner.They've been around for a long time now and are energy efficient 30% more then conventional AC and quiet(under 30 decibels).
Small single zone 9000 BTU units exist.
Install is rather painless only requiring a hole for the lineset which is hidden behind the unit.
A small compressor is located outside like a standard AC set-up some units cool/heat.
Manufacturers include Fujitsu,LG,and Panasonic.
They qualify for Energy rebates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWtJqFNcvM&feature=related
I'm a HVAC technician and can speak from experience that these units are very efficient and not too hard for the handyperson to install.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Watercooling reduces component temps because it's more efficient. But the same heat is removed to the room. No help there.

A big multi pump WC setup in the $650 range would allow you to run longer hose through a wall to dump about 75% of the heat in another room. I live in Vegas and have thought about it, I watercool.

Not much you can do except move the thermostat to your PC room and freeze the rest of the house. Or buy a window AC unit. Davcon has a nice little vid there.

lonecoyote

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I actually was fearing that. A friend mentioned it however as a possible thought, which is what made me pursue the thought a bit more.

Appreciate the input. I guess I'm out of luck, except for an air unit (or as you say maybe a hose through a wall to dump out the heat or some of it).

Thanks much!