Sign in with
Your question

Problems with 295 gtx giving "no signal" & rebooting computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2009 11:43:45 PM

HELP....HELP.....HELP....!!!

I installed the Palit 295 gtx card and found that I had a problem immediately. I bought the card specifically to play Crysis Wars. (I had a Inno 9800GTX card in the computer before and although it recommended the second highest setting, I set it on the highest setting. Played Crysis Wars for hours with no problem.) This 295GTX card is performing at a much lower level that my previous card.
It will play Crysis at the lowest settings and you are talking about a state of art graphics card. Something is wrong. What happens is that you can set it on high / medium settings and start to play when all of a sudden, it stops sending a signal to the TV / Monitor and the whole computer reboots. This is a consistent problem.
At first my TV said """"searching for signals"", followed by ""no signals"" and the the computer reboots itself. The computer is near new and worked perfectly and the only change is the graphics card. I suspected that maybe my new wireless network card may be the problem. I took the computer to a shop for testing. We first changed the wireless network card for an better one but the problem still persisted. We changed from a TV to a high resolution monitor and still the problem persisted. We then disabled the wireless network card and conected by cable to the modem. Same problem again. This is definately the Video card's problem. Something must be faulty with it.

The fact that it has the wireless network disabled and a cable connected to the modem eliminates the wireless problem. The problem after three days of testing lies squarely on the video card and not any other component in my computer.

The card was sent back, tested and they must have found a fault with it and they then exchange it for a different brand 295 gtx at my request. I have received the replacement, Inno3D GeForce GTX 295 Overclocked video card.

Installed it and checked it on all settings and it worked. Very happy but short lived! After three hours operation, it developed exactly the same problem as the Palit card. The only difference is that the Palit card came with this problem right out of the box. This one developed it after three hours of use playing Crysis Wars.

In brief, after running Crysis Wars, it just stops sending signals to my TV / monitor and the whole computer reboots itself.

My computer is an Intel Quad Core CPUQ9450@2.66GHz with Intel motherboard, 4.00 GB memory, 64-Bit Operating System Windows Vista Ultimate, 700Watts Power supply.
My TV is a Samsung Gaming LCD TV with a resolution of 1920 X 1080 pixels, Highest (32-Bit colour), 60 Hertz refresh rate.
My wireless internal card is a D-Link (DWA-510 network card) which has new 64-Bit vista drivers installed.
All driver are up to date.

I am at a total loss at what to do next. I have sent back the second 295 gtx card for testing and a refund if faulty.
Do other people have similar problems???
Any solutions???
Thank You
Jon

February 12, 2009 5:47:51 PM

i heard that the gtx 295's do not participate well with the core 2 quads o myself have a q9450 and well now have 2 gtx 260's i will be actually i already ordered a whole new pc basically for except i ordered the i7 and 2 gtx 295's if i have any problems with it i will post back on this forum.
February 12, 2009 7:51:53 PM

I have a ASUS GTX295 and in crysis wars I am no very happy with the performance however in crysis, crysis warhead, and other games perform very well as expected. I thing crysis wars do not cooperate very well with GTX295. With my old 8800GTS512 I was play crysis wars with setting low-medium at 60fps and now with the GTX295 I play crysis wars with setting high 2xAA, and i get in servers with 10 players avg70 fps min50 fps, in servers with 20 players avg60 fps min40 fps, in servers with 32 players avg45 fps min35 fps(and in this case the 35fps fill like 25fps because of micro-stuttering) basically I can not really play in servers with more than 20 players because in online games you need to have avg90fps and min60fps to be competitive. I was expecting more in crysis wars from the GTX295.
Related resources
February 18, 2009 8:27:50 PM

Thank you for your feedback.

Still have not heard if the second video card is faulty but I expect this to be the case and get a refund. I think that I will get a 9800GTX again as I regard it as much better than the 295 GTX. This sounds stupid but it does an excellent job on my system. In fact a much better job than the 295GTX.

I was warned about getting the top of the line card, as my friends always told me to buy mid-range cards instead.

I though it was just me having problems, but it looks like others are not happy with the card. I seems strange that only 20 players can play on line as a maximum limit. the 295GTX is a real let down. Micro- stuttering is a problem but that was the least of my problems. I just cannot play anything because my computer just reboots itself.

The other option is to just wait for the new card to come out by mid year.

Thanks once again
Cheers
Jon
February 26, 2009 8:46:53 PM

Well, the Inno 295 GTX overclocked video card was tested and it must have been faulty. Not sure what was the problem but they just replaced it with another one. It was agreed that if I wanted the my money back, they would have to test the card first. Instead, after testing they replaced it with another card. I told them that I was not fussed but if it occured a thrid time, then I definately want my money back. The good thing about this particular card is it comes with two years warranty instead of one year. Oh jump for joy........Sigh!

My honest opinion is the Inno 9800 GTX card leaves the Inno 295GTX overclocked card for dead. It is reliable and it actually works and is excellent value for money.

If any one learns a lesson here, ALWAYS BUY MID-RANGE CARDS ! You avoid these design problems, you get value for money and you don't pay tripple the cost for only marginal gains. It could be a fault batch of components ( cost cutting etc)
OR
Maybe i am just unlucky.
Thank you for all your feedback
Cheers
Jon
February 26, 2009 9:40:32 PM

I'm not a graphics card expert, but my first instinct says you could have a power supply problem. When you really crank up the graphics, the power draw goes up quite a bit, and the 295 can pull some juice, for sure. If the power supply can't store enough energy (too small or failing storage capacitors) it will translate the current surges into voltage dips (spikes), and is especially problematic if you have poor isolation between the various taps in your PS. This can cause a whole host of mysterious issues like you described.

Hope this leads somewhere for you.

-Phil
February 27, 2009 4:07:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
I have a brand new, good quality power supply rated at 750Watts. This is more than adequate for this graphics card. I understand what you are saying though. I personally do not think it works well with a quad processor. Even the computer shop is scratching their heads wondering why it just stops sending signals to TV / monitor and why the whole computer reboots itself.
Thanks Phil
Kind Regards
Jon
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2009 4:12:03 AM

Ummm what?

A GTX295 is two overclocked GTX260s on a single GPU. A single GTX260 outperforms the 9800GTX by about 30%. You should be getting more than double the performance after you upgrade from a 9800GTX.

Even with SLi disabled, it should still run faster than the 9800GTX.
February 27, 2009 10:24:11 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
Ummm what?

A GTX295 is two overclocked GTX260s on a single GPU. A single GTX260 outperforms the 9800GTX by about 30%. You should be getting more than double the performance after you upgrade from a 9800GTX.

Even with SLi disabled, it should still run faster than the 9800GTX.

That is what I thought. Thats why I upgraded however instead of getting double the performance, I am getting less than half of the 9800gtx. SCREAM!!!!! Apart for the case, all my components are less than 6 months old. No wonder I am pulling out my hair, almost bald now..........lol.
February 27, 2009 1:34:09 PM

Did you find out what the problem was? It is quite impossible getting less than half of the 9800gtx. There is a possibility that your power supply is malfunctioning. For example I upgrade from 8800GTS 512 OC to GTX295 and I see performance incise 100% (with AA off) and 300%(with AA on) in almost all the games. System specs q6600 @ 3.2GHz DDR2-800MHz 4GB Corsair 620W HX VISTA 64bit
February 28, 2009 5:01:10 AM

michaelmk86 said:
Did you find out what the problem was? It is quite impossible getting less than half of the 9800gtx. There is a possibility that your power supply is malfunctioning. For example I upgrade from 8800GTS 512 OC to GTX295 and I see performance incise 100% (with AA off) and 300%(with AA on) in almost all the games. System specs q6600 @ 3.2GHz DDR2-800MHz 4GB Corsair 620W HX VISTA 64bit

Thanks for the advice.
You are the second person to suggest the power supply (750 Watts). Although it is a brand new one, I'll take it back to the shop and exchange it for another and see if that makes a difference.

I know that in theory, the 295gtx should outperform the 9800gtx. That is a no brainer but this is such a weird case where the opposite is occuring. The power supply worked without fault with the 9800gtx card but I do realise that the 295gtx sucks more juice. As soon as I turn on AA, it stops signal to the monitor and reboots computer with this card.

The only hitch with blaming the power supply is that the second replacement card worked perfectly for three hours before the problems occured. If the power supply was the problem then why was it fault free for three hours? The card was really good in that period of time.

It can't be heat because I have extra fans and my box is well ventilated anyway.

Weekend now so I will try on Monday and post the results. I just hope it is the power supply. I just want to fix the problem even if I have to throw money at it. Kevin Rudd where is your stimulus package!!!!.................lol.
Regards
Jon
March 2, 2009 8:15:25 AM

Hello all,
Well I took my computer back to the shop and said that some people here suggested to have a look at the power supply. While it is a new quality built power supply rated at 750 Watt, I paid the difference and swapped it for a 1000Watt power supply. Ouch! ($390 for the power supply in total). After installing it , I turned on all settings to max including AA etc. After half hour of testing on Crysis Wars, it has not cut off signal to monitor nor rebooted my computer so far. I am very hopefull that this is the problem. I do not think it was being supplied enough current at medium to maximum setting and hence the problem of signal loss and the computer rebooting itself. The card now performs like it should.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SUGGESTED THE POWER SUPPLY.
750 Watts is in theory ample to power the 295gtx card however in my case it did not work. So far this 1000Watt power supply is doing the job however it it fails, then I will post again.

PS Lots of Candy Eye with card now. .......Phew!

Thanks once again
Jon
March 2, 2009 8:20:18 AM

plm999 said:
I'm not a graphics card expert, but my first instinct says you could have a power supply problem. When you really crank up the graphics, the power draw goes up quite a bit, and the 295 can pull some juice, for sure. If the power supply can't store enough energy (too small or failing storage capacitors) it will translate the current surges into voltage dips (spikes), and is especially problematic if you have poor isolation between the various taps in your PS. This can cause a whole host of mysterious issues like you described.

Hope this leads somewhere for you.

-Phil

Personal thank you Phill, I thinl it was the power supply. Works with a 1000Watt power supply.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU
Kind regards
Jon
March 2, 2009 8:33:53 AM

michaelmk86 said:

Personal thank you. Works with a 1000Watt power supply.
Kind regards
Jon
March 2, 2009 9:44:32 AM

Umm I'm going to venture that your PSU was just bad, 750w is plenty for your system. You might want to try to enchange for another 750w to save yourself a lot of money.
March 3, 2009 9:04:54 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Umm I'm going to venture that your PSU was just bad, 750w is plenty for your system. You might want to try to enchange for another 750w to save yourself a lot of money.

Hello and thanks for your feedback.
In theory I, 110% agree with you.
For this card, 750Watts is heaps.

750 Watt power supply is not faulty that is why the shop traded it in and I paid the difference.

750Watts power supply work with everthing else. Personally I think that if the settings are too high, and the power supply is unable to deliver a sustained current, then it cuts the signal to the monitor and reboots the computer.

As plm999 said,
"If the power supply can't store enough energy (too small or failing storage capacitors) it will translate the current surges into voltage dips (spikes), and is especially problematic if you have poor isolation between the various taps in your PS. This can cause a whole host of mysterious issues like you described. "

I would tend to agree with him and it explains the problems that I have. With the 1000watt power supply, it now runs Crysis Wars on maximum settings. SCREAM WITH JOY !!!

I loaded Warmonger game, which is nowhere as good as Crysis Wars on my computer. When I set it to maximum settings, even with the 1000Watt power supply, the same thing occured. It cut my signal to monitor and rebooted my computer. Lower the settings and it works fine. Depending on the make of power supply ( and it's design - size of storage capacitors etc), a 750Watt could run the card if it was capable of delivering enough current for the card on high settings as it sucks more juice. This 1000Watt power supply cannot be fault also. Very unlikely.

Anyway I am happy now. Played Crysis Wars for a few hours today, with no problems now.
So much extra detail with the 295gtx installed - Candy Eye - WOW

Hope this helps others with similar problems
Cheers
Jon

PS more attention needs to be on the ability for a power supply's to deliver current ( Amps) , not just it's power capacity (Watts). Key point : ability to deliver Amps

a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2009 9:40:51 AM

according to Corsair you can use anything from their 620W to 850W units. If you go to their site you can add your computer spec and it tells you what PSU you need. I put in the GTX295, i7 oc and 3 HD's and it suggested from 620W to 850W. Was your PSU a good quality one? I still can't believe it's re-booting on a 1000W psu. Something is seriously wrong.

http://www.corsair.com/
March 4, 2009 8:13:39 AM

Kkkk1 said:
according to Corsair you can use anything from their 620W to 850W units. If you go to their site you can add your computer spec and it tells you what PSU you need. I put in the GTX295, i7 oc and 3 HD's and it suggested from 620W to 850W. Was your PSU a good quality one? I still can't believe it's re-booting on a 1000W psu. Something is seriously wrong.

http://www.corsair.com/

Hi there,
The power supply purchased was the Antec 1000Watt Truepower Quattro, High Performance Modular Power Supply which is dual graphics card ready. Way too much power for what I have in theory. But with increased Watts comes more Amps. This has made a difference.
Yep, I was taken back when it rebooted on the 1000Watt supply. I always buy quality stuff just like my choice of graphics card. I really should not have any problems but I do. This is the only explaination that explains what is occuring. It does not reboot on Crysis Wars at highest setting anymore. That occured in Warmonger (FPS) which is no where as good as Crysis. I fully agree the something is quite right! I just can't find what is wrong!!! All quality parts and professionally put together. It even has extra fans for cooling.
Could it be memory? Enough memory? But I don't think so. I have 4 GB.
I run Windows Vista 64 bit and all drivers are up to date.
maybe it is the 64 Bit? Not Sure?
Thank you very much for your input.
Cheers
Jon
March 4, 2009 9:47:19 AM

Honestly, my system is far more stressful than yours and I sometimes use watercooling, my 750w PC Power and Cooling PSU never gave me a problem with any of it.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2009 11:19:19 AM

JonDR said:
Hi there,
The power supply purchased was the Antec 1000Watt Truepower Quattro, High Performance Modular Power Supply which is dual graphics card ready. Way too much power for what I have in theory. But with increased Watts comes more Amps. This has made a difference.
Yep, I was taken back when it rebooted on the 1000Watt supply. I always buy quality stuff just like my choice of graphics card. I really should not have any problems but I do. This is the only explaination that explains what is occuring. It does not reboot on Crysis Wars at highest setting anymore. That occured in Warmonger (FPS) which is no where as good as Crysis. I fully agree the something is quite right! I just can't find what is wrong!!! All quality parts and professionally put together. It even has extra fans for cooling.
Could it be memory? Enough memory? But I don't think so. I have 4 GB.
I run Windows Vista 64 bit and all drivers are up to date.
maybe it is the 64 Bit? Not Sure?
Thank you very much for your input.
Cheers
Jon

I very much doubt there is a RAM problem as it would happen more often. I would contact NVIDIA if poss and explain it all to them. If you have no luck is it feasible to completely disconnect EVERYTHING in your PC, reset the BIOS, connect it all back together and re-install Windows from scratch? That's what i'd do although it not a very appealing solution especially when you consider it may not fix this problem.
March 5, 2009 7:19:54 AM

Kkkk1 said:
I very much doubt there is a RAM problem as it would happen more often. I would contact NVIDIA if poss and explain it all to them. If you have no luck is it feasible to completely disconnect EVERYTHING in your PC, reset the BIOS, connect it all back together and re-install Windows from scratch? That's what i'd do although it not a very appealing solution especially when you consider it may not fix this problem.

Thanks, and I know you are right on the ram. Will contact Nvidia.
Cheer
Jon
!