EX58-UD3R northbridge fan

G

Hi,

Not sure how to search (tried the big SEARCH at the top!) on these forums so apologies if this has already been asked.

My manual for the EX58-UD3R says to use a northbridge fan. Is this really necessary ? Any recommendations for a fan ? It doesn't look like one would be too easy to fit.

Thanks in advance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hi,

Not sure how to search (tried the big SEARCH at the top!) on these forums so apologies if this has already been asked.

My manual for the EX58-UD3R says to use a northbridge fan. Is this really necessary ? Any recommendations for a fan ? It doesn't look like one would be too easy to fit.

Thanks in advance

It uses the draft from the CPU fan for cooling.

G

Great, thanks for that ! Saves a bit of money on hardware ! Is there any reason why it's got a northbridge fan header on the motherboard ? Is it for extreme overclocking or something (not that I'll be trying that)

bilbat

Splendid
Overclocking and/or several sticks of RAM...
The process isn't all that difficult, but explaining it is a bit involved - if you're still interested, I can get together some instructional pictures:
dscn1710s.jpg

latestcomps001.jpg

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Great, thanks for that ! Saves a bit of money on hardware ! Is there any reason why it's got a northbridge fan header on the motherboard ? Is it for extreme overclocking or something (not that I'll be trying that)

Gigabyte will generally use the same PCB for multiple motherboard models and almost always provides a NB fan connector. Sometimes they use it on other models, other times they don't, and board moders can use it for a NB fan too. I often use it for a case fan.

bilbat

Splendid
Another notable:
Of all the fan connectors on a GB, NB_FAN is the most useless; CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN2 are capable of control; SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN at least provide feedback for rotation monitoring on pin 3; but, NB_FAN does neither - just a 12V power connector...