Canned air, deals?

boot2thehead

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Searched and there were no hits for "canned air." Weird.

Anyway, if you have a go-to place for canned air, please share with the class :) Best I can find is about $4 a can on ebay. Which would probably be $4.50 with S&H.

Considered a compressor, but there's moisture and static issues to worry about. I've not seen a compressor solution that addresses both of these.

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
if you can get to Fry's they usually have packs for ~$3 a can. As far as online, search for 'compressed air' or 'air duster' not canned air. Newegg had a couple you could prob find more.

jeteryankees22

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2008
Hmm, canned air is good for a quick blow but a compressor is really the best. We use one at work and it uses a standard hose and nozzle. I've never encountered a problem with moisture/static. When using a compressor the air is strong enough where you dont need to put it right against anything so no worries about static...maybe just blow it into the air right before using to clear any moisture??

boot2thehead

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
A lot of people raise red flags about using air compressors for this because of the moisture (which can be fixed with a moisture trap) and static. The static, afaik, has no fix. Seems like a little grounded wire-mesh screen in the air-path would do the trick.

Blowing moist and/or static-y air onto your motherboard is a bad idea, you never know which tiny but important little resistor you'll pop with a bit of static.

boot2thehead

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Costco has a 12 pack of 12 oz cans or Air Duster for about $44 including non-member surcharge and shipping. Their S&H is expensive. Per oz that works out to under 30 cents, best price I've found. Of course, 12 cans will take *a while* to use up. These things don't go bad or anything do they?

boot2thehead

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Fry's had it for 3 12 oz cans for $13. 36 cents an oz. That really seems like the best bet, I can't see myself using more than 1 can of compressed air per year between my 2 computers. I don't really want to have 12 years worth of compressed air kicking around. Of course, if I went in to Costco it would suddenly be worth it because the price drops a lot (about $34 for 12 cans, 24 cents / oz).