Gup probs ati

deeligee

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Hello everyone on tomshardware i have an issue??. with either drivers and/or graphics card

i had a 4870 faulty card took it back and got a new one. The problem is that this card will not overclock much.
760gpu
920 ram

My last card overclocked better for the time it was working.

specs
e8500: oc 3.60ghz
4 gig corsair ram: 4. 4. 4. 12
gigabyte: ep45ds4p
320 gig segate
650w: coolermaster extreme psu
4870 512 asus :pfff:

As said you get what you get, some cards actually perform worse with an OC than at stock.
You were just lucky last time or unlucky this time. You could try differant OC software but dont expect to suddenly find loads more performance.

Mactronix

martyn2691

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Ok as this lot say...any overcloccked GPU will eventually weaken if its been cained!!

Your best bet is to make sure your RAM is up to speed ( download MEMTEST to learn about inconsitencys in memory use), Chipset software is updated and you have the latest BIOS which may support hardware better that your current one! and of course the old chestnut of updated drivers all round...also download POWERSTRIP for all your GPU graphics tweaks.

On the POST screen just after start up, you will see a BIOS version number. If your board can handle another update, do it. Strangely, ASUS, who made my board, have a BETA BIOS for my board, which is bloody frightening! BETA and BIOS shouldnt be together!!

i would first seek other tweaks to change rather than the GPU. I know AMD do a "softcool" utility that allows you to disconnect the CPU from the southbrige ( i think) which not only keeps the CPU cooler when under pressure, but also stops it accessing and being used in its "idle state"..handy for that bit of extra use!

anyhow good luck!

^
Sorry but WTF are you on about the guy/girl got a GPU with a lesser chip in it thats all, why all this talk about RAM and Bios updating.

@deeligee,
Do NOT do anything to your Bios ever, unless you have an issue that a specific Bios update addresses, playing around with the Bios when you dont need to is asking for trouble.
Graphics card chips are QC tested and some pass the tests better than others, Some fail badly and may end up as a lower part with some of its archetecture dissabled, Some pass well and are usually the ones that get cherry picked for OCed and special edition cards, Never had any actual proof of the last statement buts thats the general opinion.
Standard cards would require chips that pass at a certain level. Seems your last card had a high pass chip and your second card had a lower pass chip. Both are capable of running the stock clocks, just one had more extra performance than the other.

Mactronix