Sign in with
Your question

How do i know when to stop o'clocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 23, 2010 4:12:55 PM

im at 3.5 1.35 volts w/ a x2 550be and prime95 ran 12 hours fine. someone mentioned i could open just the 3rd core and 4th core seperately because it woudnt stabilize as a quad[x4 b50]. how do i open then one at a time... i see where it gives me the option of 0,1,2 or 0,1,3. im thinking thats it. also can i bump up memory speed or should i chill on the overclocking?

god bless
josh

More about : stop clocking

a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 4:23:42 PM

You are the lone decider of when to stop overclocking. Arm yourself with knowledge: know your voltage/thermal limits of your hardware, identify the purpose of your overclock, and be sure that what you are reaching for coincides with your intentions, pick a stability testing routine that you are comfortable with. We can give our opinions, but many of us do it purely for the seeing just how high we can go. If you don't share in that ideology, then those opinions will not help you.

3.5ghz at 1.35v seems ok to me, and 12 hours of P95 is a pretty solid indicator of stability.

012 uses the original 2 cores + the 3rd core. 013 uses the original 2 cores, skips the 3rd, and uses the forth.

Leave memory alone when OCing other parts of your system, you need to keep variables to a minimum when trying to find your maximum clocks. If you change too many settings and crash, you won't know which setting is to blame. One thing at a time.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 1:38:21 AM

JofaMang said:
You are the lone decider of when to stop overclocking. Arm yourself with knowledge: know your voltage/thermal limits of your hardware, identify the purpose of your overclock, and be sure that what you are reaching for coincides with your intentions, pick a stability testing routine that you are comfortable with. We can give our opinions, but many of us do it purely for the seeing just how high we can go. If you don't share in that ideology, then those opinions will not help you.

3.5ghz at 1.35v seems ok to me, and 12 hours of P95 is a pretty solid indicator of stability.

012 uses the original 2 cores + the 3rd core. 013 uses the original 2 cores, skips the 3rd, and uses the forth.

Leave memory alone when OCing other parts of your system, you need to keep variables to a minimum when trying to find your maximum clocks. If you change too many settings and crash, you won't know which setting is to blame. One thing at a time.

That was... Perfect.

If I may add something... Ultimately, this depends on what programs you're using, but I'd suggest seeing if your unlocked cores are stable like you plan on doing... and then overclock. If and when you unlock the other cores, it might require some more voltage.. limiting your overclock due to temps, but I'd much rather have a slightly lower clocked quad-core (or tri-core) than a slightly higher clocked dual-core.
m
l
!