Sign in with
Your question

When is my computer going to be outdated?

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2009 10:37:02 PM

I bought this rig in early 2008, and I need to think about the future, when should I buy a new computer.

This is my specs of my rig.

Q6600, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 8800GT, Blu-ray burner, 22'' monitor, Creative Xtrememusic sound card, Z-5500

I'm mainly concerned about the CPU, RAM, and video card. When will quad cores be obsolete? How's my video card.

I use my rig mainly for video encoding (16 hours of x264 everyday) . I also use it of course for internet surfing, watching HD videos, and some light gaming (like CoD4/5).

In your opinion, how is this rig right now? (OKish, good, sucks) What are the trends of hardware right now (and in the future).

So far I plan to buy my next computer when USB 3.0, PCI 3.0, at least 8 core CPU are available. I also plan to buy a SSD instead of a HDD for speed and reliability.

I plan to use my next computer for as long as possible. This is not something I normally do (I've upgraded my computer every 3 years before). My main reasons for my plan to do this is because (correct me if I'm wrong)

1) Because I have an SSD, it doesn't slow down to a crawl after a few years like HDDs do. It is also much faster than a HDD.

2) I will have USB 3.0 and PCI 3.0 in my computer, so I'm futureproof for a while

3) By that time, I'll be buying at least a 8 core CPU, probably even more. I'll also buy a lot of RAM, looking to buy 24GB. I don't see how programs can get much more demanding that can make a >8 core CPU sluggish. I don't see how I can use more than 24GB of RAM (I know you want to say people said some of the same thing 10 years ago). I can't use much more than 2GB of RAM unless I run x264 or some games.

I'm curious, how can games get any more demanding? Crysis is very demanding, but the graphics are almost photorealistic. I don't see how use can do much better. CoD 4, nowhere near as demanding, also looks extremely good. When I buy a graphic card on my next computer purchase, it will be far far more powerful than my current 8800GT, and will probably run Crysis Warhead in ultra high resolution with some AA/AF with ease. I don't see how games can get any better and more demanding.

More about : computer outdated

April 5, 2009 10:47:04 PM

about a year ago.

That is such a silly question.
April 5, 2009 10:53:04 PM

*Shakes head*

Your PC is fine. Not top of the line by any stretch, but still fine. 8800GT/9800GT/GTS240 is still a decent performer, although you may want to look at an upgrade for it sometime over the next year. Q6600 will be just fine untill your ready to make a jump to your next rig. You may consider a move to 64-bit so you can have some more RAM, but I wouldnt get too worked up about it, 3GB will probably keep up OK.

You didnt mention, but do you/are you interested in overclocking? A few hundred extra Mhz will help stretch you even further.

EDIT: Its not your hard drive that gets slow as the years tick by, its your Windows installation. I personally never go longer than 9-12 months on an install of Windows, it just gets too bogged down.
Related resources
April 5, 2009 10:53:08 PM

As soon as u unpack it, and i agree with customisbetter about your question.
April 5, 2009 11:05:25 PM

I can't overclock unforunately (except my video card). I have a Dell XPS 420, and Dell does not allow you to overclock through BIOS.

To B-Unit, I realize that. Even after a reinstallation through ghost, it is still not as responsive as when I first bought it.

I knew when I bought a P4 4 years ago it was pretty damn outdated after a year. It simply couldn't keep up, and it was painful to use.
April 5, 2009 11:24:15 PM

it is a rather odd question what u have asked.

1. ive generally found normal hard drives dont slow down much over time, its the OS which gets sluggish a format and fresh install normally helps that. dont see how an SSD will make a huge differnce

2. u can never expect a system to last for more than around 2-3 years with out an upgrade it u want it to be considered "good"

3.ur system is ok, for day to day internet stuff that spec will be fine for another 4-5years though for top end gaming it will all ready be sluggish

4. games will always get better, i remeber seeing quake 2 and thinking how can games get any better then seeing doom 3 and thinking how can games get any better, then seeing crysis and guess what how can games get n e better.

they just get more realistic

there is never a point in time when theres not another future development round the corner.

a few months ago it was corei7 before that DDR3 and SSD's which still aint perfect

it will be USB 3 PCIe 3.0 ect but there will always be new things.

i just buy a sstem with a good motherbaord and upgrade parts when i need to
April 6, 2009 1:50:34 AM

With technology advancing like it is it's hard to tell.
a c 446 à CPUs
April 6, 2009 5:06:06 AM

Your PC is obsolete as soon it's performance is not enough for you anymore.

Whether that is tomorrow, next year, or 2015, it all depends on you.
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 1:21:10 PM

Welll ^+1...
There are people still with P IV and old Athlons...
a c 78 à CPUs
April 6, 2009 4:17:10 PM

+1 to jaguarskx & gkay09....

And than there are people that upgrade to whatever the new technology is, even when their current system can destroy whatever is out there now. Your decision to upgrade is solely based on when YOU feel your computer is no longer meeting your expectations on performance. Everyone has his or her own opinion on what is current and what is obsolete in the computer world. If your system works for you, than it isn't obsolete and doesn't require updating.
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 4:57:28 PM

December 21, 2012, when everything becomes obsolete.
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 7:42:13 PM

Scotteq said:
December 21, 2012, when everything becomes obsolete.

Hmm, according to Nostradamus? Or Skynet?? :) 
a c 83 à CPUs
April 6, 2009 7:53:26 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
Hmm, according to Nostradamus? Or Skynet?? :) 

Well according to some book I just read a red dwarf star passes through our solar system every few thousand years and nearly destroys all life on earth, book brought together a lot of useful information and interesting facts, but I still doubt it'll happen.

To OP, your system is basically out dated when ever you decide it isn't fast enough for you, or it literally cannot run/is not compatible with new operating systems, new software that you need to use, ect. I know people who are still running computers nearly 10 years old, they work fine for basic office and internet tasks but they are really slow compared to anything even remotely modern.
April 6, 2009 8:27:35 PM

Well, this PC right now is kind of strange. It fits my needs perfectly in one way, and in the other way (when I'm doing video encoding), it is terribly slow.
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 8:52:01 PM

Video encoding is just one of those things that uses up alot of resources. If you have alot of background services running that won't help. It may be time for you to format your computer and do a clean install and that should speed it up a bit. If video encoding is your main thing then you may want to think about upgrading to an i7 system. You will need a new case (unless you can use your dell case), motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but you will be able to use your current video card, HD, Optical Drives, and maybe your PSU. Personally I'll send video encoding stuff to my old Athlon computer (encoding flash vids or whatever) to free up my main system for work or playing games that way I'm not twiddling my thumbs while the video encodes ^_^.
April 6, 2009 9:04:00 PM

chengbin said:
Well, this PC right now is kind of strange. It fits my needs perfectly in one way, and in the other way (when I'm doing video encoding), it is terribly slow.

I'm pretty sure your 8800gt supports CUDA enhanced Video Encoding. Check out the nvidia website. Should increased your encoding speeds by a lot.

I think this may be what you're looking for.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html#state=detai...;aid=7E3FAFC6-B7D0-11DD-A2A0-A58455D89593

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress video encoder may also be what you're looking for. Either way search for Video Encoding Software that can use CUDA to speed it up. A lot of the time it can increase speeds by 4x. GL
April 6, 2009 9:09:20 PM

Its still good as long as you think it is, i'm still using a Pentium 4 like Gkay09 said with only 2.4Ghz on it it good for my needs though.
April 6, 2009 9:10:31 PM

Personally, unless games start coming out with multi-core support, I'd stick with my dual-core. If you're not doing anything special like encoding video, bouncing audio tracks... I'd stick with the dual-core sweetspot.

Also, as you start to parallelize data more you'll start bottlenecking your memory, meaning that you're going to have to think about DDR3.

I'd also do the same with RAM; there's a point where performance just won't increase unless you like opening multiple instances of Crysis.

In order of regularity of replacement (IMO and from a gamer's perspective):

1) Graphics card
2) CPU
3) Motherboard
4) Memory interface (e.g DDR3)

I've left out things like sound cards and HDDs because intensity of use varies very much along different people.
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2009 10:37:18 PM

I've upgraded last year form an old 1.2 GHz Athlon XP Geforce 6800 XE system to an Athlon X2 2.7 GHz GeForce 8600 GT and got a very nice speedup.
It suits my needs perfectly as any game is playable at 1024 X 768 (CRT Monitor) on high settings (medium Crysis and medium-low GTA 4).
I do a bit of encoding and I don't care if it isn't super fast.
I don't see the point in going quad since the only game which benefits from it is GTA 4. I won't upgrade my video card because I would have to spend more on a new power supply.
So, I think of my system as a good and fast one, and I will only upgrade if new games need a faster PC, or I begin to feel it is slow.
April 6, 2009 10:46:40 PM

your fine considering your gaming at 22'' monitor.
April 6, 2009 10:58:21 PM

Quote:
I guess next time you wont buy a Dell huh? If you could overclock, your pc would be fine for another year or two with a graphics upgrade. However, at 2.4ghz, your really gonna bottleneck a good video card.
Maybe sell you Dell system and get a nice i7 system?

I will. I'm sticking with Dell. Dell allows me to customize the PC. Also, and the most important thing, they have the lowest prices. Their quality is quite excellent too. Customer support is fantastic, it is not some Indian guy on the phone. They will take care of your problem quickly. (they offered to replace my PC because I accidentally screwed up when I reinstalled Vista to get rid of the junk that came with the computer)

I know you'll tell me to DIY, and build my own rig. I don't see that saves much money. Yes, the components are cheaper, but if you factor in the $200 Windows Vista, the deal doesn't look so hot anymore. I didn't even mention putting them together, takes lots of time, and what if you screw up?

lucuis said:
I'm pretty sure your 8800gt supports CUDA enhanced Video Encoding. Check out the nvidia website. Should increased your encoding speeds by a lot.

I think this may be what you're looking for.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html#state=detai...;aid=7E3FAFC6-B7D0-11DD-A2A0-A58455D89593

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress video encoder may also be what you're looking for. Either way search for Video Encoding Software that can use CUDA to speed it up. A lot of the time it can increase speeds by 4x. GL

Thanks, but I've tried them for fun before. The quality is terrible. I don't care about encoding time, I care about quality. I'm an avid x264 user.

I don't plan to upgrade parts for my PC, I rather buy a new one.

Yes, the i7 is sweet, even the 920. It can speed up my encodings by 40-50% (!) because of hyperthreading and other CPU capabilities, but that would be a waste of my Q6600, considering it is still a pretty good processor.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 12:53:46 AM

You could get rid of the slow HDD drive Dell uses, try HDtune on it I bet it benches 50-60MBs which is slow.

Throw a couple SSDs in raid, and you will see a huge difference how windows runs. If you encode alot then your PC is real outdated compared to i7. My i7 can convert a 800mb .avi to DvD in 13 minutes, encodeing and burning. Try that with a q6600.

"Dec 21, 2012 Remark"
For all of mankind, the earth has been in the top 1/2 of the Milkyway Galaxy, and on the above mentioned date the earth will pass through to the equater of the galaxy. What will this do you ask? The earths gravitional poles will switch instantly causing major catastrophys, Like eathquakes and world wide Sunamis. Millions will die.
April 7, 2009 1:45:45 AM

daship said:
You could get rid of the slow HDD drive Dell uses, try HDtune on it I bet it benches 50-60MBs which is slow.

Throw a couple SSDs in raid, and you will see a huge difference how windows runs. If you encode alot then your PC is real outdated compared to i7. My i7 can convert a 800mb .avi to DvD in 13 minutes, encodeing and burning. Try that with a q6600.

"Dec 21, 2012 Remark"
For all of mankind, the earth has been in the top 1/2 of the Milkyway Galaxy, and on the above mentioned date the earth will pass through to the equater of the galaxy. What will this do you ask? The earths gravitional poles will switch instantly causing major catastrophys, Like eathquakes and world wide Sunamis. Millions will die.

I know, x264 released optimizations for i7 CPU the second they came out. It is about 40% faster then a Penryn in the same clock speed. It takes about 10 hours to encode 2 movies (using multiple insanely slow settings, like MVDegrain 3, and I'm running 2 encoding at once).

SSDs, that's when I get my new computer. They're WAYYYYY too expensive now. That's why I'm gonna get SSD on my next purchase.

My HDD gets about 70MB/s on HDTunes.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 1:49:46 AM

70MB is still slow. A Western Digital 640 avgs around 110MB/s.

My raid 0 SSDs get 507MB/s. I have 4 ozc core v2s 30G each. I'm actuallt gonna sell them for $60 a piece on Ebay real soon, because I want to grab some of of new Vertex ones.
April 7, 2009 1:59:40 AM

What can I say, you must have a desposable income. Unforunately my parents don't.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 2:20:20 AM

Encoding takes time, but does the time it takes really, really matter?
I mean you are not like using your PC as a server to run the local public works department or anything are you? If it has to sit for a couple of hours encoding, you could find something else to do....mow the yard, wash the car, go shopping, go fishing, read a book, etc.

As everyone says, it's up to you when your PC doesn't cut it anymore. But unless you are encoding movies everyday for a production company, so what if it takes a while? But ultimately, it's your decision when to break into the bankroll.
April 7, 2009 9:18:22 AM

Thanks, but I've tried them for fun before. The quality is terrible. I don't care about encoding time, I care about quality. I'm an avid x264 user.
said:

Oh ok, nvm then :)  I've never really done encoding before. Would you mind telling me which encoder/enhancer you use?
April 7, 2009 11:09:43 AM

x264

The GUI I use for x264 is AutoMKV
April 8, 2009 12:03:18 AM

Well the Core 2 line is not obsolete as of now as all of the LGA 1366 based hardware is still extremely expensive...that rig would last, maybe 4GB of RAM or 6, (if you want?) Upgrade to a 9800GT or something along the way. =)

April 8, 2009 6:07:07 AM

I would recommend to stop buying dells, no offense to OP.

Your processor isn't that bad, It has unlocked power, find a motherboard maybe on the newegg, or ebay, That is a decent price and Quality that can handle a good overclock on that Q6600 and upgrade your OS to Vista home prem. 64 bit. OEM version is only $99.00 on newegg also, and your hard drive can be upgraded to either a WD 640 black, I have 2 in Aid 0 setup, I am seeing avg's of around 190mbs, with this set up, and they were only $79.00 a piece, even one of them or a seagate 750gb barrcuda with 32 mb cach will be a nice upgrade with avg on 110mbs. read times and only 67.00 bucks. You can also then upgrade your ram, DDR2 is so cheap right now you could get 4gb of 6400 (800mhz) for less then $50 bucks, you might end up having $350 into this upgrade total, however you will have a computer that will be built how it should of been built in the first place. That is if your case air flow is good enough, and PSU can hold up...

I have seen that version of Dell at walmart- best price on it so far I have seen on sale is $890 dollars.... For what you got, even with a monitor, it doesn't seem to be to good of a price, and yes Dells like most store sold computers are cheap, at least when it comes to parts in them.
April 8, 2009 8:20:03 AM

Been posted already - but looking into CUDA is your best bet - much more potential for encoding performance than even the fastest i7 CPU
April 8, 2009 11:25:38 AM

I'm in Canada, so everything is a lot more expensive here.

I'm not sure if I can replace the motherboard myself. The XPS 420 has a weird design inside.

I don't want to upgrade my components in my computer (too much hassle, expensive, void warranty)

Isn't 9800GT a renamed 8800GT?

I got my computer in Feb 2008, without the sound card and speakers, for $1570 + tax. Is that a good deal.

Been posted too:)  Badaboom's quality is really bad.

April 8, 2009 6:29:48 PM

To answer your question is $1600 a good deal for that Dell xps 420 for you....

1. you can't even upgrade it without voiding the warranty

2. If you could Overclock your Q6600 you would not need to worry about upgrading or a slow computer for awhile, IMO. Of course making the upgrades I talked about in my last post,(harddrive, ram, better vista 64 bit OS, and making sure you have proper air flow in you case....)would give a very fast system that I am sure will handle your needs for awhile to come.

3. you could of built a custom Q6600 for the same with better quality parts, or less back in 08, and you would of been able to upgrade it down the road, instead of having this problem with the Store bought Dell right now.

4. If doing a simple mother board swap is to much hassle to unluck the true power of that Q6600 then just spend another couple grand with Dell for a new rig, It will come with a warranty... if money is tight with your family then I would recommend now would be a good time to start learning how to put together or upgrade your own system on your own. The internet and these fourms are a great source of info on how to do this the right way. It is not that hard, and you will save yourself alot of money in the long run and have a much faster computer then any Dell your going to buy... Good luck

this is my rig built at about the same time you paid $1600 for your Dell.... I have about the same or just alittle more into mine and it has Raid 0 setup(2x 640 gb wd blacks) +1.5 tB seagate, bluray player, 28" Hanns-g 1080p monitor, custom water cooling from the Danger Den, 4870 grafix card, 4gb of 1066 G.skill Ram, a Phenom II 940 overclocked to 3.6 ghz stable. etc. etc.

April 9, 2009 12:37:28 AM

I'm pretty sure the 4870 did NOT exist in February 2008. Did you built that in February 2009?

I'm gonna try to see if I had a good deal.

An X38 was around $250 during that time (it was just released)
A Q6600 is $270
3GB of RAM is probably $50
A 500GB HDD is probably $100 back then
A 8800GT is about $250 (it was just released back then)
A 22'' monitor is $300
A Blu-ray burner is probably about $300-350, we'll use $300
PC case + power supply + cables + mouse and keyboard, I'm guessing $75 (I don't know, just a guess)
Windows Vista is $150

$250+270+50+100+250+300+300+75+150=$1745 (WTF, more expensive???)

April 9, 2009 12:59:26 AM

I am not sure when the 4870 came out, but I upgraded from a 3870 and I also have a bfg 8800gts 512mb (G92)

I paid $100 for my LG bluray player

My only point was that you spent $1600 back then, You don't have a bluray as far as I know so drop the $300 you added for it, but keep the amount of $300 and the $75 you figured for a case, power supply, mouse key board, and even if your counting what it cost were your at, Canada I believe you said, that is till only $1745. for a build that you have a good case, proper air flow, and a motherboard and PSU that can handle Overclocking that very nice Quad you have. Right now you are stuck with having to buy a new rig if your not happy with your dell computer or having to put the parts into it, motherboard, ram and PSU to make it into a rig you have upgrade paths to and able to overclock to meet your performance needs.... See my point
April 9, 2009 1:08:42 AM

I do have a Blu-ray burner on my Dell right now. It came with it.
April 9, 2009 1:56:55 AM

lol dude 24 gigs of ram lol there is no way you need that much ram even in 2011 you wont need that much ram i have 8 gigs at the moment and i hardly use more than three the 8 cores will do you good but 24 gigs of ram is outrageous at the most get 12 gigs of ddr3 2000 and that is still more than you will need as far as the video card goes the 8800 is on the verge of being outdated but at the moment it is still a very good card if you want to go such high end instead of getting the 8 core processor get the two cpu motherboard skullrail and put two i7 in it or what till the 4 quarter of 2009 or earlier 2010 and there will be something better by then i am not trying to be rude about the ram but there is just no way you need that much you will just be wasting your money unless you just want the bragging rights
April 9, 2009 2:06:19 AM

who said anything about 24 gb of ram??
April 9, 2009 2:11:52 AM

medjohnson77 said:

chengbin 1st post
April 9, 2009 2:13:00 AM

medjohnson77 said:

he says at the bottom of post he is looking to buy 24 gigs of ram
April 9, 2009 2:23:11 AM

wow thats alot of ram and no vista 64 bit because it costs so much, $99 from the egg. thats a waste of about 21.3 gb of ram bought, thats gota be a typo, lol
April 9, 2009 2:28:57 AM

chengbin said:
I do have a Blu-ray burner on my Dell right now. It came with it.

The point is with out a motherboard or a bios for your dell that supports overclocking(good luck with that) you are dead in the water with upgrades on that rig.... if you could over clock it, add a better hard drive, add vista 64 bit, and a total of 4gb of even 6400 ram (800mhz), even with the 8800gt you have you would have a nice system. Add the new upgrades including the mother board and Vista 64 bit, hard drive, or sell your Dell and buy another one from them and have the same problem in a year when you feel your system is no longer running that great or to your speeds, since just building your own system that you can upgrade in the future and Overclock is to much trouble for you to learn how to do. Good luck either way
April 9, 2009 3:05:27 AM

well there are many many peeps who tell others the more ram the better and that is true they just leave out anything over 6 is just a waste i used to be one of those people till i found out that even if you have vista 64 which i do that you still will not use more than 4 unless you are doing some kind of cad engineering i went out and bought 8 gigs not knowing this i was highly upset when i found out hell i could have bought another game lol there r some cases where you do use 24 gigs of ram but not for personal use i you actually use that much you are doing for some kind of business r even maybe on servers r somthing but as far as gaming no more than three to four
April 9, 2009 3:10:53 AM

well maybe Dell can price the OP out for a 24gb of ram system, Wonder what that would run, and still would have crappy parts, LOL
April 9, 2009 11:19:45 AM

Brandon00000 said:
well there are many many peeps who tell others the more ram the better and that is true they just leave out anything over 6 is just a waste i used to be one of those people till i found out that even if you have vista 64 which i do that you still will not use more than 4 unless you are doing some kind of cad engineering i went out and bought 8 gigs not knowing this i was highly upset when i found out hell i could have bought another game lol there r some cases where you do use 24 gigs of ram but not for personal use i you actually use that much you are doing for some kind of business r even maybe on servers r somthing but as far as gaming no more than three to four

I can easily use 8GB of RAM. Run 2 HD encodings (60-70% CPU) and play CoD4 (take the rest) at the same time.

medjohnson77, let me rephrase what I said before about warranty. Warranty is still here of course say if I upgraded the HDD. But if I *u*k something up during upgrading, I won't get support.

So basically you're telling me my computer sucks right now. Maybe I should upgrade sooner, or buy extremely good parts on my next upgrade.
April 9, 2009 2:08:26 PM

chengbin said:
I can easily use 8GB of RAM. Run 2 HD encodings (60-70% CPU) and play CoD4 (take the rest) at the same time.

medjohnson77, let me rephrase what I said before about warranty. Warranty is still here of course say if I upgraded the HDD. But if I *u*k something up during upgrading, I won't get support.

So basically you're telling me my computer sucks right now. Maybe I should upgrade sooner, or buy extremely good parts on my next upgrade.

hd encoding while playing cod4 yes that would take more ram not 24 gigs though encoding while playing cod4 it does not matter what kind of pc you have you will notice a severe drop in fps doing both at same time
April 9, 2009 4:56:12 PM

chengbin said:

No your computer doesn't suck per say, however, because of the PSU, which I m sure it can not be a very good one with it being a dell stock psu, The Problem your running into that is holding back the full power of your Q6600 is the crappy motherboard they built that rig with and the fact of no support for a bios upgrade so you can over clock your rig.... giving you alot more performance and speed. Hard drives and vista installs are very easy to deal with, changing out a hard drive is simple, and if you buy a retail version like seagate you will get a free version of Seagate tools, so if you have a seagate already in your dell for the Harddrive you can clone your old hard drive onto the new one, very simple process and the disc walks you thru the whole thing.

I would start doing some research on how to do these simple upgrades, (mother board, PSU, harddrive, installing Ram,) and would say to hell with the support from Dell since there really not supporting you anyways for Overclocking your computer... If you drop the $350 or so on these new parts, only go with 4 GB of ocz or g.skill 800mhz or 1066mhz high speed ram if your new mother board supports it, and get a hard drive that is atleast 32 mb cach, you will see the full power and speed of your computer, and will not have to worry about upgrading for another couple years atleast. Thats if money is tight on your end right now, if it is not and you like the support that you get from Dell then buy another Dell, LOL, if your not willing to go and do the research to build your own system. You will be much better off not buying Dells from now on and learn to build your own computers...
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2009 5:12:01 PM

loneninja said:
Well according to some book I just read a red dwarf star passes through our solar system every few thousand years and nearly destroys all life on earth, book brought together a lot of useful information and interesting facts, but I still doubt it'll happen.

Sounds like the ol' Nemesis theory :) . Except Nemesis is actually a brown dwarf (too small to support nuclear fusion) hiding in the outermost fringe of the Oort cloud.

Come to think of it, that pretty much describes some of the more extreme posters here on Tom's as well - are you reading this, Thunderpants, wherever you are?? :sol: 
April 9, 2009 9:19:31 PM

Can you explain how building my own computer is cheaper?

The estimate that I did before showed that I would have paid more if I bought the parts myself.
April 10, 2009 1:41:02 AM

You would of paid a little more if more at all,

In the long run you would have had a much better build, been able to Overclock it, and still had room for a new processor Q9650 when your Q6600 could not perform to your needs. If your happy with Dells by all means keep buying them, you are on a custom build site, and that is what 85% at least of the members here do, we build custom computers. If you haven't got how a custom build would be cheaper yet, then your not going to. No offense to you, but stick with Dells then or look for a other company that sell you a crappy build at a high price, because it is less trouble then taking it upon yourself to learn to build your own.
!