Sign in with
Your question

Air conditioner to cool PC done right!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 23, 2010 8:16:21 PM

I bet you guys thought this was another noob asking the age old question. ;)  But, here is my conversion from an A/C to a single stage phase change. Right now I'm borrowing a motherboard, so I just charged it with R-134a to avoid to many condensation issues that are involved with -40c at full load.

I used a 5k BTU A/C and ripped off the evap an just used the condenser and compressor. Then "did a few special modifications" :D  and its good to go!

Runs at about -20c on full load and -40c on idle.

Pics:

Suction line is covered in frost all the way back to the compressor.

Sitting at idle with an i7...

More about : air conditioner cool

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 10:10:56 PM

That's awesome! What precautions have you taken to avoid condensation damaging your hardware? Just wondering :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 11:56:17 PM

overshocked1234 said:
I used a 5k BTU A/C and ripped off the evap an just used the condenser and compressor. Then "did a few special modifications" :D  and its good to go!

NICE !!!!!!!!!! :D 

You better be at the SUMMER WARZ.........if you don't have a team by then come over to OCC and join just for the WARZ or start a team and I'll join yours if you get a few people ;) 
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 5:31:00 AM

Pyroflea said:
That's awesome! What precautions have you taken to avoid condensation damaging your hardware? Just wondering :) 

Trust me m8, Ive gotten good at insulating boards...its all good.
First I put several layer several layers of nail polish on everything, then I spread a layer of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly everywhere around the socket and in the socket. Then I hit the whole area with a heat gun for a few seconds so the petroleum jelly melts and gets in all the cracks.
Lastly I put a layer of armaflex over that entire area.
m
l
June 24, 2010 5:35:57 AM

RJR said:
NICE !!!!!!!!!! :D 

You better be at the SUMMER WARZ.........if you don't have a team by then come over to OCC and join just for the WARZ or start a team and I'll join yours if you get a few people ;) 

Thanks RJR!

Ill be at forum wars 2011. Gotta wait til Feb. though. )= Anyways, not sure ill have to much hardware to show for forum wars dude. :(  Im about to spend like a grand on making a cascade. :sarcastic: 
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 7:17:45 AM

Cool!

No pun intended. :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 8:14:39 AM

Welcome back!

Standard AC operation cycles the compressor on and off charging the cooling coils, have you overidden that function to make the compressor constantly charge for your setup?

I'm going to try and see if we could possibly add and extreme cooling overclocking sub section to the overclocking section, as this type cooling is way past normal cooling, and is quite impressive by your efforts but takes some serious skill and dedication to accomplish, its definitely an ohhh and ahhh to the normal day to day overclocker.

Quite impressive!
m
l
June 24, 2010 10:22:06 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Welcome back!

Standard AC operation cycles the compressor on and off charging the cooling coils, have you overidden that function to make the compressor constantly charge for your setup?

I'm going to try and see if we could possibly add and extreme cooling overclocking sub section to the overclocking section, as this type cooling is way past normal cooling, and is quite impressive by your efforts but takes some serious skill and dedication to accomplish, its definitely an ohhh and ahhh to the normal day to day overclocker.

Quite impressive!

Well here's the wiring on the controllers. The top one controls the compressor and the bottom controls the fan.

Holding the thermocouple:

The way the compressor knows when to click off is when the evaporator on the system hits certain temperature. The thermocouple was originally jammed in between the fins of the evaporator when I bought the system. So i just took it out and jammed it into the condenser. (=

And an extreme cooling section would be GREAT! That would encourage a lot of higher level people to start posting on the forum as well.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 12:59:44 PM

I swear, every time I see a picture of that setup, it looks more and more awesome!

It puts my pink duct tape LN2 sessions to shame!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 1:00:53 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Welcome back!

Quite impressive!

That would be great to have an extreme section! Awesome idea!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 3:54:55 PM

overshocked1234 said:
The way the compressor knows when to click off is when the evaporator on the system hits certain temperature. The thermocouple is jammed in between the fins of the evaporator. So i just took that and jammed it into the condenser.

So what is the temperature difference at the CPU cooling block, from the cycle time of the compressor cutting in and out?

And how often does the compressor kick in and out?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 3:59:21 PM

jedimasterben said:
That would be great to have an extreme section! Awesome idea!

Its on the table right now, some moderators are for it, but if Administration says no, it won't happen, so keep your fingers crossed.
m
l
June 24, 2010 8:23:56 PM

4Ryan6 said:
So what is the temperature difference at the CPU cooling block, from the cycle time of the compressor cutting in and out?

And how often does the compressor kick in and out?

The compressor doesn't cycle anymore. I took the thermocouple and put it into the hot part of the system (the condenser) so the compressor will always think that its to warm in the room. :D 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 10:32:28 PM

overshocked1234 said:
The compressor doesn't cycle anymore. I took the thermocouple and put it into the hot part of the system (the condenser) so the compressor will always think that its to warm in the room. :D 

So whats the cooling block itself temperature?

Since the compressor is constantly running you have a solid and constant cooling block temperature is this just for benching or can you use this on a daily basis?

Is this the machine you're posting these replies with?
m
l
June 24, 2010 11:31:49 PM

4Ryan6 said:
So whats the cooling block itself temperature?

Since the compressor is constantly running you have a solid and constant cooling block temperature is this just for benching or can you use this on a daily basis?

Is this the machine you're posting these replies with?

The evaporator (the cooling block sitting on the CPU) is about the same temp as the CPU...maybe a few degrees cooler, but not much when it's idle. When its loaded the temperature difference is a little bit larger, but its still within 10c. :sol: 

I'm using it 24/7 right now, but I'm going to take it off and throw on the water cooler in a few minutes. So yes, you can definitely use this 24/7. You have to put dielectric grease in the socket when running 24/7 though. Otherwise water will build up in the socket.

About a month ago I did a bench run for about 10hrs or so with ln2. I didn't put grease in the socket so water got in the socket and destroyed the socket. Still waiting on that board to get back to me from EVGA.

I'm thinking what I'm going to do next...its either going to be a cascade for benching or another small single stage for a GPU, or maybe an X6 system...What do you guys think?
m
l
June 24, 2010 11:54:58 PM

Good work.

I should get my old chiller rig out of the shed.

It is essentially a converted refridge drink fountain with a pump and runs cold (2C) water round the system.

I just have to make sure it doesn't ice up ... I lost a GPU under a Silverprop once as a result.

Superwatercooling ... just not extreme ice.

I mounted my mobo upside down with the water cooler ...

Good work overshocked.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 25, 2010 12:28:12 AM

overshocked1234 said:
The evaporator (the cooling block sitting on the CPU) is about the same temp as the CPU...maybe a few degrees cooler, but not much when it's idle. When its loaded the temperature difference is a little bit larger, but its still within 10c. :sol: 

I'm using it 24/7 right now, but I'm going to take it off and throw on the water cooler in a few minutes. So yes, you can definitely use this 24/7. You have to put dielectric grease in the socket when running 24/7 though. Otherwise water will build up in the socket.

About a month ago I did a bench run for about 10hrs or so with ln2. I didn't put grease in the socket so water got in the socket and destroyed the socket. Still waiting on that board to get back to me from EVGA.

I'm thinking what I'm going to do next...its either going to be a cascade for benching or another small single stage for a GPU, or maybe an X6 system...What do you guys think?

Impressive!

In South Carolina you have to be licensed to be able to buy, sell, or use freon, I would imagine its the same where you live, right?

So is HVAC a family business or are you directly a licensed HVAC business owner?
m
l
June 25, 2010 12:44:05 AM

Thats pretty nice reynod. Im surprised a drink fountain can hold a load like that.

So does it use a plate heat exchanger for the water, or how does it work?
m
l
June 25, 2010 12:51:03 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Impressive!

In South Carolina you have to be licensed to be able to buy, sell, or use freon, I would imagine its the same where you live, right?

So is HVAC a family business or are you directly a licensed HVAC business owner?

Na, freon is to expensive and hard to get like most of those other refrigerants.

R290 (propane) is just about as good as anything else you can get for these single stages and its cheap and accesible.

For this build though, I just used R-134a. You can get that at any auto store for people who fix there own a/c in there car.

At some point I will recharge it with R290 though.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 25, 2010 4:32:30 AM

Did you make the CPU block yourself?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2010 12:34:31 PM

overshocked1234 said:
Hahaha, thanks m8!

Anyway, I hope you guys have time to use those screws I sent you sometime soon. ;) 

I hope so, but we haven't had time to sit down and install it all yet. It'll be a few more weeks maybe before we can get some more LN2 (I still haven't given the dewar back to my friend from two weeks ago though!), that will be the real test!

I just wish that we could keep a constant temperature with LN2 like you can with that SS!
m
l
June 25, 2010 7:01:22 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Did you make the CPU block yourself?

No, its made by Chilley1, a member of XS.
m
l
June 25, 2010 7:04:40 PM

jedimasterben said:
I hope so, but we haven't had time to sit down and install it all yet. It'll be a few more weeks maybe before we can get some more LN2 (I still haven't given the dewar back to my friend from two weeks ago though!), that will be the real test!

I just wish that we could keep a constant temperature with LN2 like you can with that SS!

You should be able to keep a pretty constant temperature now...I think the issue before was that the pot wasnt being held down very well, so it was only making contact in a few areas. Wich made the CPU get really cold, but it would get hot very fast when it was under any sort of load.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2010 9:31:02 PM

If only we still had that pink duct tape! Only when we replaced the CPU and couldn't use the same tape is when we started having the problems. The white duct tape and the Gorilla tape we've used stretches WAYYY too much, at least 3 times as much as the pink duct tape did.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2010 11:38:13 PM

Quote:

First I put several layer several layers of nail polish on everything

LOL! I can just imagine you going to a store and buying 25 bottles of nail polish or stealing them from your mom/sister/aunt,etc.

Anyways, good work. Nice to see you back.

Any plans of getting one of the monster motherboards from Gigabyte/ASUS (ie UD9,etc) soon?

Quote:
If only we still had that pink duct tape! Only when we replaced the CPU and couldn't use the same tape is when we started having the problems. The white duct tape and the Gorilla tape we've used stretches WAYYY too much, at least 3 times as much as the pink duct tape did.

Have you tried pressure sensitive, water activated,etc tapes?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 28, 2010 3:43:56 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:

First I put several layer several layers of nail polish on everything

LOL! I can just imagine you going to a store and buying 25 bottles of nail polish or stealing them from your mom/sister/aunt,etc.

Anyways, good work. Nice to see you back.

Any plans of getting one of the monster motherboards from Gigabyte/ASUS (ie UD9,etc) soon?

Quote:

Have you tried pressure sensitive, water activated,etc tapes?

He did have a Classified... RIP :(  (Any news on that, btw OS?)

Nahh, we really haven't strayed much from duct tape, it's the only stuff that's readily available. It's fine for about an hour, then the stretching is too much and the mounting pressure starts to drop off and temps quickly get above 0. overshocked did send us the proper mounting rods, though, so we should be good from here on out.
m
l
July 1, 2010 10:33:00 AM

Sorry, havnt checked on this thread in a few days.

Yeah shadow, I had the classified... having benched on the asus R3E i kind of liked it, so I might go for that in a while.

And yeah hahaha, i bought about 10 things of nail polish LOL! I ran out of the clear stuff and started having to use black.

I started playing around with the i3 and damn its fun!

CPU coldbugs at -75c. I did a mod on it and lowered the coldbug 3c was looking for a -150c cb after mod... :pfff:  Gunna try a pin mod tomorrow.

I got a crappy CPU...

I should be ordering a couple more tomorrow.
m
l
July 2, 2010 7:50:01 AM

Fixed coldbug, bootable down to -150c

m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2010 8:11:27 AM

This is just so damn awesome. :D 
m
l
July 2, 2010 8:35:41 AM

jedimasterben said:
He did have a Classified... RIP :(  (Any news on that, btw OS?)

Well theyre sending it back to taiwan or wherever their plant is to melt the socket off and replace it for me. (=

But for now im loving these i3's! :D 
m
l
July 2, 2010 8:39:00 AM

Pyroflea said:
This is just so damn awesome. :D 

Thank you!

I didnt get much OCing done tonight because most of my time was spent under a magnifying glass soldering up a resistor to fix that damn coldbug.

Anyway... im testing a new bios on saturday from dinos22. That guy is awesome! :ange:  He removed the virtual limit of 1.49v VTT to the CPU.

The little ocing i did tonight i got stuck at 243 bclock. :pfff:  <--remember, this is my first time with i3... i hope i can get passed this.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2010 9:53:44 AM

Just curious (completely unrelated), what's plugged into the USB port on the rear of the board?
m
l
July 2, 2010 3:59:36 PM

Haha, its a stripped usb device. It help me know when the board is booting because it doesn't have a speaker. It just turns a light on when the board boots.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2010 5:40:53 PM

overshocked1234 said:
Haha, its a stripped usb device. It help me know when the board is booting because it doesn't have a speaker. It just turns a light on when the board boots.

Alright, gotcha :p 
m
l
!