SLI 9800gtx/gtx+

skitz0ut

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Im trying to SLI a 9800gtx and a 9800gtx+. Having big problems, windows vista 64 is detecting one card as a 8800 GT? or installing standard vga, when i have both crads in. I just pulled the 9800gtx out of old pc and it works, and the 9800gtx+ i am currently using. Any ideas? 850w PSU SLI ready, supports 3 way SLI on 9800gtx so...q6700 4gb SLI ram P5N-D motherboard. everything is new cept the old 9800gtx.

mikecs

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
why are you letting windows install anything for you in the first place, if it promts you for new hardware close out all of those windows and install the drivers yourself off of nvidia.com

skitz0ut

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
ok i did that, but with both cards in, windows wont boot unless its safe mode. (like now) I get the bar showing loading windows and nothing. have to hardreboot. I have it showing both cards in the device magager also, in safe mode. I don't understand. Should I have the gtx+ in the top slot? Does it matter?

mikecs

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
found a similar post google-ing.

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=31965&st=0

sounds like its a common issue when mixing GTX and GTX+ seemed like they found an issue with the difference in card types by what power connectors it used. Needless to say at this point this is why it is ALWAYS better to only SLI cards that are identical (usually same brand/model) although that doesn't necessarily have to be true. Really sounds to me like these cards just aren't going to play nice together and you may have to try something else =/

skitz0ut

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008

Reading that form, im getting the idea that they dont mix b/c 1 has 1 pcie 6pin power, the other has 2. both of mine are 2 cpie 6 pin power connectors

skitz0ut

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008

Ha! Seem to have it working, except when i enable SLI its bringing up a black screen with a cursor at top left. I swiched the spot the cards were in, putting the gtx+ on top. I dont have the lastest drivers, getting them now, and will repost.

mikecs

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Do what that other guy said in the post said and try adding the sli plug after boot see if that helps. stupid but it looked like it was a crappy fix for him.

BL4CK R4MS3Y

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Actually its how and where the sli bridge is connected the problem lies at. when using the gtx with the gtx+ you have to use the sli bridge with the second connectors on the cards ( the one further away from the back) then install the drivers as you would..

Hope this helps......

skitz0ut

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I got everything to work, using windows vista 32, for some reason vista 64 divers have major problems with my cards. I also am using the 175.xxx drivers currently, as the 18xxx drivers will not install correctly, black screen/lockup durning restart. And you were correct, Bl4ck R4ms3y, the sli bridge does have to be on the second sli bridge.

BL4CK R4MS3Y

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Skit, i had the same problems installing the cards properly with vista 64 bit as well but after playing around with all the setting in the bios and reformatting 5 or 6 times i found that vista 64 bit has a problem allocating all 4 gbs of my ram....

So i took 9800gtx+ out and left the older 9800gtx in there and also took out 2gb of ram. reformatted and installed vista 64 bit, and the graphics card, mobo/chipset drivers. Than updated vista 64bit to sp1, after that i installed the 9800gtx+ without the sli bridge on and also installed the 2gb ram i took out... turned on the comp and let vista install the driver for my second card...

After all that i turned my comp off and installed the sli bridge on, and it was all good. Vista 64bit has a bit of a problem with 4gbs of ram, many people have had problems.

Hope you could get it to work using the method i fixed my problem with.

skitz0ut

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008

I have the vista64 disc that allready has SP1 on it, and it seems not to be ram related. It actually seems to be the drivers, as 17xxx works on vista 64 also. All of the 18xxx drivers are doing the same thing, one card, 2 cards, sli on/off, 2gb/4gb ram, don't seem to matter. I tried using driver sweeper, and all of the other so called "fixes" to no avail. There also is a bunch of posts about this problem. Hope nvidia fixes the bug soon.