Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's the best way to cool this machine?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 23, 2010 9:08:36 PM

I'm building a new computer in the next couple days and I have everything except the RAM and cooling system. I understand all the other parts, but I haven't figured out cooling systems yet, because my current build crashes after 5 minutes of intensive 3d gaming. The only solution I've found to this crashing is to open up the side panel on the tower and let it air out. So I'll give you the specs and I would really appreciate some advice on what cooling systems to put into this machine:

Tower: Antec 300
Power supply: Rosewill 80 Plus Bronze 1000w
CPU: Intel Core i7-940 (will probably overclock. Also, will probably upgrade to hexacore when a mid-range CPU comes out)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX285 (not doing multiple video cards. will upgrade to a high-end DX11 card eventually)
RAM: 6 or 8 GB DDR3
Sound card: Sound Blaster X-fi Fatal1ty
Monitor: 27" Hanns-G
Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste

Please, any suggestions/links to guides would help. I don't know anything about cooling other than I have a large CPU fan and a rear and two side case fans on my current build. I don't know about liquid cooling, or which brands/systems to buy, etc. Thanks for reading.

More about : cool machine

a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 12:11:40 AM

PLEASE tell me you didn't order that power supply yet!!! 52 AMPS on the 12v rail for a 1000W PSU is REALLY bad. Here are two 750W Corsair psu's with 60 amps on the 12v rail for less money and much better performance and quality:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OK, back to your question, you will have to determine what kind of OC you want out of your CPU, if you want a mild 3.4-3.6 Ghz OC any decent cooling solution would work like the 212+,CCF,Noctua's, etc.

If you want to go higher than that, you have to look at higher end air or water. One of the things you are going to have to take into consideration is the size of your case if you want to run the higher end air as they are rather large coolers.
m
l
June 24, 2010 1:31:41 AM

RJR said:
PLEASE tell me you didn't order that power supply yet!!! 52 AMPS on the 12v rail for a 1000W PSU is REALLY bad. Here are two 750W Corsair psu's with 60 amps on the 12v rail for less money and much better performance and quality:

OK, back to your question, you will have to determine what kind of OC you want out of your CPU, if you want a mild 3.4-3.6 Ghz OC any decent cooling solution would work like the 212+,CCF,Noctua's, etc.

If you want to go higher than that, you have to look at higher end air or water. One of the things you are going to have to take into consideration is the size of your case if you want to run the higher end air as they are rather large coolers.

Thanks for the info. First off, yes, I already have the Rosewill power supply. It was a new year's sale for $99.99 and it had great reviews, so I grabbed it. You're saying amps matters more than watts on a PSU?

3.4-3.6 Ghz OC sounds fine with me, but I am interested in trying a higher-end cooling setup. I've only ever used fans, not liquid or anything. Could you send some links to reputable cooling systems?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 2:24:01 AM

FreyjasChosen said:
You're saying amps matters more than watts on a PSU?

Very much so, the amperage rating of the 12v rail(s) is about the most important part of a PSU. The best part of your computer runs on 12v, including the heavy amperage items like your video card and cpu. A 1000w PSU with less 12v amperage than a 750w is a massive red flag.

Cooling: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...

any of the top 20-25 would be fine, you can also check out the reviews on Frosty's site or google one your interested in for additional reviews.
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 2:31:06 AM

^edit: beat me to it.

Quote:
You're saying amps matters more than watts on a PSU?

Basically, yes. Remember the golden rule: A*V = W.

That PSU isn't *that* bad however, there are better ones. Btw, that Rosewill unit is more like a 750W NOT a 1kW.

Also, that unit can provide a MAX of only 624W on the +12 rail, where as the Corsair 750TX will provide a MAX of 720W on the +12. For modern PSUs/hardware, the +12 rail is what really matters.
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:38:56 AM

RJR said:
Very much so, the amperage rating of the 12v rail(s) is about the most important part of a PSU. The best part of your computer runs on 12v, including the heavy amperage items like your video card and cpu. A 1000w PSU with less 12v amperage than a 750w is a massive red flag.

Cooling: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...

any of the top 20-25 would be fine, you can also check out the reviews on Frosty's site or google one your interested in for additional reviews.

This is going to sound like a stupid newbie question, but where did you find the 52 volt figure at? I obviously need to be able to check this so I get the best power supply for the *next* build... /sigh

I took a "how to build a computer" class at my local community college and the professor never said anything about amps * volts = important. All he said was "1000w will do anything" :)  Now I know...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 3:05:41 PM

It sounds like you need a new professor at your community college :)  to give everyone a blanket statement like that is just insane. You may want to check out a site like "Johnny Guru" who does a very good job of reviewing power supplies that includes scope shots to see the voltage ripples so you can make an informed decision.

The voltage specs are on the side of the PSU or you can look at the pictures on Newegg:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 3:11:06 PM

+1 for reviews by jonnyguru.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 3:14:54 PM

RJR said:

The voltage specs are on the side of the PSU or you can look at the pictures on Newegg:
]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9067/rosewill.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Someone was awfully confused when making that label.
900 watts or 52 amps as the combined 12v output ?
You know the math, but for others 900 watts = 75 amps
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 4:01:49 PM

delluser1 said:
Someone was awfully confused when making that label.
900 watts or 52 amps as the combined 12v output ?
You know the math, but for others 900 watts = 75 amps

True 52 amps is 624 watts so that makes you think why a label states 900 watts and only 52 amps? It could be that they screwed up on the label or tested it and found out it could only handle 52 amps but still wanted to sell it as a cheap 1000w so they got creative with the label. I don't know, I can't find any competent reviews to confirm or deny. The only thing I'm 100% positive about is the name "Rosewill" makes me cringe just typing it and for my money I'd rather stick to a tried and true quality manufacturer.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 4:14:07 PM

RJR said:
The only thing I'm 100% positive about is the name "Rosewill" makes me cringe

When it comes to power supplies, I agree.
m
l
June 24, 2010 7:08:44 PM

Best answer selected by FreyjasChosen.
m
l
June 24, 2010 7:11:56 PM

Alright, so what was intended as a discussion on cooling systems for a gaming machine turned into "don't buy Rosewill power supplies." As long as it runs my new computer, I won't regret having bought it, but thanks for the heads up everyone. I'll check this Jonnyguru next time.

I think I'm going to try the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, since it's first on RJR's list.
m
l
!