New Radeon 5770 can I get a little higher with clocks in overdrive ?

Savannahmick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hi new system i7 860/8gb 1333 dual ch/Rad5770/1tb wdcav. can get a little more out of my 5770 other than the stock 850mhz core/mem 1200mhz with stabilty my temps now are when full tilt about 75c is the highest I ever seen it get while gaming. I have pc knowledge but rookie in performance gaming pc anyway what increments are good to start with in overdrive which is already enabled and are my temps already as high as I can have with stability or can this card take the heat whats a stable temp on most Radeon cards?One more thing my cpu runs at about 60c when 100% whats a good temp for stock i7 860?Thanks for any info newbie needs guidance!

Solution

Hey, I'm running an i7 860 w/ EAH5770.

I easily OCed it to 915/1250, although it should be...

sprunth

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

Hey, I'm running an i7 860 w/ EAH5770.

I easily OCed it to 915/1250, although it should be very easy to push it to 960/1400. I've seen the core clock go above 1000mhz on some cards, although I don't need mine to.

You can try OCing a bit. Raise it 5-10mhz, and try pushing it to 100% 3D on something, like a benchmark.
I would suggest, esp if you cooler isn't really good, to not push past 80C. By the way, my EAH5770 CuCore reaches only 73C on max load OCed. Not sure if that is the CuCore doing its job or what.

I7 860...60C should be okay, although not too much higher. As long as (I'd say) below 70C it should be fine. Are you using the stock heatsink/fan?

Hope this helps,
Sprunth

Solution

Savannahmick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

Hi again thanks for the info and yes my fans and cooler are stock . And I already have CCC Overdrive installed and enabled because the 5770 runs at 850mhz core clock my system came that way and I will try a few small clock increases and stay under 950 mhz and 1350 mhz and I should not have issue under 80c right.More thing what setting is best for GPU fan in Overdrive with slight OCC right now manual control not on set 50% do I need to increase % to help temps while slightly overclocked? Thanks Again Newbie Needs Help/Info!

sprunth

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

950/1350--The temperature really depends on your card model. Make sure to check the temp with full load each time you change clocks. Also, don't change the core clock and the memory together. (read up on overclocking elsewhere...) I personally do not have manual control on, I leave it to decide by itself. If you want to manually control it, and you don't mind the noise, then a few ticks up would be fine (and maybe cool the card a bit more).

From my card, even OCed on BFBC2 (gpu @ 100%) does not cause my card to go above 70C/50%fan.

Good luck!

Savannahmick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hi thanks again for info/help and I just wanted to know if you guys do a complete uninstall of old graphics drivers and CCC before updating to new version like 10.6.The only reason I'm paraniod about updating my old 9.11 CCC and 8.66 driver is because I just bought this pc and I hope it being a Dell xps 8100 that I might cause issue but I really want the performance and new features and they have no new driver on there site but I guess I can create restore point before hand! Thanks!

Savannahmick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Sorry one more newbie question I dont have the install manager listed in programs and features only Catalyst Control Center but I have both on my laptop. Anyway maybe this is because Dell dosent want owners messing with it is there anyway this is a modded version it does have Dell at the end of the CCC driver version in CCC information tab. Am I being stupid should I just install the new drivers and CCC over the old ones or leave it alone I do score 170000 in Pc mark 06?THANKS AGAIN!

Do a copy of the drivers you have on a flash stick or restore point as you say, install new ones and see how you go, I know you could roll back to old drivers if the new ones suck, im just thinking worstcase scenario, you still have the drivers that worked seperate from the system, but yes, I always uninstall old drivers first before putting new ones on. Hth
Moto

Savannahmick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hey do you have stock coolers with these clock settings what are your temps and whats your ATI CCC driver version?Also how do you update drivers install over or uninstall first? I know same questions but I 'm just curious!SAVANNAHMICK THANKS YOU AGAIN!

Overclocking via CCC is a waste of time, use Afterburner and create a fan curve :

new_curve.png

then raise the clocks in increments till it BSODS, then back off a bit and you should be good to go.

This is how I play BC2 daily :

Dirt2_1025_1250_143v.png

as you can see the fan curve keeps the card nice n cool.

Enjoy =)