• Chipsets
  • BIOS
  • Computer
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 27, 2009 12:23:02 AM

Hello,

My computer won't boot to windows. The BIOS image comes up, then after that windows would start to load. I made some changes to the BIOS then restarted. The computer got hung up on the windows loading screen for about 10 minutes. I powered off the computer to try again and now there's a blinking cursor when windows would normally start to load, a few seconds later it states "unable to boot please insert system disc." The weird thing is that when I hit F8, the BIOS comes up with the boot menu. I select the hard drive that windows is on and windows loads as it should. I tried changing the BIOS things I modified and it hasn't fixed the issue.

Thanks for the assistance!

More about : computer boot windows

a c 242 V Motherboard
May 27, 2009 2:48:46 AM

Since you used F8 to get the bootable device list, I presume that you have an Asus motherboard.

Go to the Boot menu and make sure that your hard disk is in the Boot Device Priority (you probably want the DVD-ROM before the hard disk). If it isn't, then go to Hard Disk Drives and set it as the 1st drive.
May 28, 2009 12:22:08 AM

I figured it out. For some crazy reason it was trying to boot to my external hard drive. There's no way in bios to change which hard disk drive has the priority, it just states "hard disk" in the boot device priority options. Completely retarded...
May 29, 2009 12:20:56 AM

Maybe that wasn't the problem. Now when it starts up the bios image and logo is on the screen for an extended period of time. Windows loading screen eventually comes up... the following screen that comes up is completely black. The monitor does not go to standby so that's telling me that something is being pushed. I've tried starting in safe mode, after the text scrolls down like it's disabling drivers it freezes. I've tried last known good configuration without any luck. Thanks.
Related resources
!