Random fps spikes in games

Hello,
I have been having for about the last 7 months a really bad problem with lag on my computer with some games, and none lag whatsoever with others... So before my lag started i use to play a game called League of Legends and recently my friends started playing it so i wanted to get back into it, But i cant because for the last 7 months i havnt been able to play a lot of my games. Now if you know what League of Legends is you would know it obviously doesnt have as high graphics as a game such as warcraft which are pretty identical games, YET i can play warcraft without any lag whatsoever not even a random lag spike for hours of straight gameplay. I honestly dont know what the problem is and i just wish i could get this fixed already. Id appreciate any replies that can help and here are my system specs (I dont know too much about pc's so ill post the specs i know how to find?)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the lag lasts for about 6 seconds at a time where it drops to 6fps and then it goes back up to around 70fps for 10-20 seconds and then drop back to 6 and repeats this with no end :(

AMD Athlon(tm) dual X4 620 processor
2.60 GHz, 3.12 GB of RAM
Service Pack 3
Nvidia GT 240 Graphics card
500GB Hard drive space

Thanks for reading i really hope someone out there can help me :(
1 answer Last reply
More about random spikes games
  1. nVidia is known for lousy FPS versus Radeon, but that's beside the point.
    Since only some games are affected, have you deleted the contents of game cache folders ? Applications like ccleaner can do it automatically after you add them to "Include" menu.
    I would say clean your windows temp folders too, including Documents and Settings/<username> temp folders.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Lag Games Windows XP