Two homes and an RV, least expensive method between Direct..

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 14, 2004 1:02:51 PM

Hello, I have an RV and small 2nd home and a primary home. I would
like to use a DSS in all three areas, but trying not to get hit for
different account costs. The second and primary home are close enough
together to get the same "local channels" if I want them. I would
like to get an occasional PPV from the primary and second home. I
would like to get a PPV from the RV, however, I've heard that you need
a phone line, but it is not that important to me... but would be nice.

What is the best method to have this triple scenario on one dish
account? Is it even possible to do this?

If anyone can give me some pointers, would certainly appreciate the
info.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 6:00:21 PM

Me2 spewed forth with this commentary:

> Hello, I have an RV and small 2nd home and a primary home. I would
> like to use a DSS in all three areas, but trying not to get hit for
> different account costs. The second and primary home are close enough
> together to get the same "local channels" if I want them. I would
> like to get an occasional PPV from the primary and second home. I
> would like to get a PPV from the RV, however, I've heard that you need
> a phone line, but it is not that important to me... but would be nice.
>
> What is the best method to have this triple scenario on one dish
> account? Is it even possible to do this?
>
> If anyone can give me some pointers, would certainly appreciate the
> info.

I'd say you're going to need at least 1 more dish (for the 2nd home). Are
you in both homes at the same time? Or is one a vacation place? If it's a
vacation spot, then mount your second dish and bring one of your house
receivers over and plug it in. The receiver doesn't care where it is as
long as it gets signal... same goes for your RV.

If you are planning to have permanent receivers in all 3 locations, you'll
need to purchase some receivers and add them to your main account. $4.99
for the additional receivers.

--
RegNitto - USWest SC Ladder
Anonymous

Thanks for info. The seond home is a weekend home in the mountains, it
already has a working directv dish w/ no reciever, so I would
transport the reciever back and forth.

The other dish is on a tripod at the weekday home, i could easily move
that around in my RV along with bringing my reciever. (I'm assuming I
will not get PPV since I don't have a phone line and I'll loose the
local channels when I get far enough out)

One question about PPV, what would happen if I hook up the phone line
to the reciever at the weekend home? It is on a different number than
my weekday home. Will I still get PPV?
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:57:29 PM

Me2 spewed forth with this commentary:

> Thanks for info. The seond home is a weekend home in the mountains, it
> already has a working directv dish w/ no reciever, so I would
> transport the reciever back and forth.
>
> The other dish is on a tripod at the weekday home, i could easily move
> that around in my RV along with bringing my reciever. (I'm assuming I
> will not get PPV since I don't have a phone line and I'll loose the
> local channels when I get far enough out)
>

> One question about PPV, what would happen if I hook up the phone line
> to the reciever at the weekend home? It is on a different number than
> my weekday home. Will I still get PPV?

As long as the receiver is connected to a working phone jack, it shouldn't
matter. also, keep in mind that the receiver doesn't send the ppv info
immediately... theoritically, you could order ppv in your RV and then come
home and plug it in... DTV will get the info.

--
RegNitto - USWest SC Ladder
Anonymous

ssowajm@hotmail.com (Me2) wrote in message news:<28c871f3.0406140802.150e44d6@posting.google.com>...
> Hello, I have an RV and small 2nd home and a primary home. I would
> like to use a DSS in all three areas, but trying not to get hit for
> different account costs. The second and primary home are close enough
> together to get the same "local channels" if I want them. I would
> like to get an occasional PPV from the primary and second home. I
> would like to get a PPV from the RV, however, I've heard that you need
> a phone line, but it is not that important to me... but would be nice.
>
> What is the best method to have this triple scenario on one dish
> account? Is it even possible to do this?
>
> If anyone can give me some pointers, would certainly appreciate the
> info.

DSS companies have professionals that track down and convict people
for using satellite systems in more than one residence. The fine is
usually $5000 and 3 years in jail for the first offence.
June 16, 2004 10:23:27 AM

FWIW and I don't know if this is of any use to you, but before I switched
from Dish Network to DirecTV, I e-mailed customer service (so I would have a
hard copy response in case there was ever a problem) and told them that I
wanted 3 receivers - 2 in my home and a 3rd in my RV. I explained that Dish
Network allowed this to all be on one account as one primary receiver and
the other 2 receivers cost me $5 each. (I had my RV registration on file
with E* for the network waivers.) DirecTV e-mailed back that it was
allowable, but my RV receiver would not be able to order PPV because it was
not hooked up to a phone line. So I switched in December and that has been
my setup ever since (DirecTV has not asked for a copy of the RV registration
but I've not requested network waivers, either). Sometimes it seems silly
to pay the $5 for a receiver that is only used one weekend a month but it is
pretty darn convenient to not have to move boxes around when I want to camp.
I've never tried to order PPV from the RV so I don't know if it is disabled
or not. Also, on my account it lists the locations of the boxes -- one
receiver in my bedroom, one in the den, and one in the RV.

"Me2" <ssowajm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have an RV and small 2nd home and a primary home. I would
> like to use a DSS in all three areas, but trying not to get hit for
> different account costs. The second and primary home are close enough
> together to get the same "local channels" if I want them. I would
> like to get an occasional PPV from the primary and second home. I
> would like to get a PPV from the RV, however, I've heard that you need
> a phone line, but it is not that important to me... but would be nice.
>
> What is the best method to have this triple scenario on one dish
> account? Is it even possible to do this?
>
> If anyone can give me some pointers, would certainly appreciate the
> info.

---
June 16, 2004 4:01:40 PM

natureboy spewed forth with this commentary:

> DSS companies have professionals that track down and convict people
> for using satellite systems in more than one residence. The fine is
> usually $5000 and 3 years in jail for the first offence.

I highly doubt this... besides, if you are using your own receivers and pack
them back and forth depending on where you're staying... what's the problem?
He IS paying for programming on x amount of receivers...

--
RegNitto - USWest SC Ladder
Anonymous

I have direct TV-
You can order PPV on line if you have registered- and you can order from
your phone also, just giving your home phone # to identify your
account. I've done this, and it activated both receivers in my house.
!