[CPUs] Re-application of thermal paste after 14 days?

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
I built a system from scratch. The motherboard ended up being faulty. Had to take everything off, and now I'm sitting with a processor and heat sink with 14-day-old silver on it.

While I'm putting my replacement board in the case, I'll submit these questions to you:

- The processor and heatsink were removed, of course. The thermal contact paste (silver) is only 14 days old, literally. Do I need to wipe the old and reapply the paste?

- At the drugstore (tiger didn't have any?! o_O, told me to get some alcohol and paper towels), I found isopropyl wipes. They're only 70% isopropyl content. Is this alright? Or do I need to find a higher content, and buy them specially from an electronics store?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yes, you will need to replace it. 2 weeks exposure to air will pretty much ruin it. In fact, for optimal performance, you should replace it anytime you remove the heatsink.

The alcohol wipes will work, although fast evaporating painters alcohol is prefered. Also, instead of paper towel, use coffee filters for your final wipe-off, as they are lint-free.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Actually, the paste has only been exposed to the air for about 3 hours now. But I'll still wipe them down and start over.

Thanks!