Which Brand of HD4850 is good

HIS, Gainward,are good cards and Visiontec do a good warranty.
The referance cards are all pretty much the same (ones with small fans)
Look for better cooling solutions and Bundles/Warranties. HIS is my favourite but i beleive the Gainward card to be faster, dont know what the cooler on the Gainward is like though.

Mactronix

+1 for JAY2TALL.
We see quite a few posts reguarding the 4850 here, mostly related to overheating, and mostly because the builder/user has put a stock card into a case with poor/limited airflow causing it to overheat.
The HISIceQ is a brilliant soloution, cool, quiet and it dumps its heat out of the case.

pooflinger

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I purchased the ASUS model with the reference style cooler. :( This thing runs HOT! Temperatures reach almost 80 degrees C under load and never drop below 50 C. This is within the operational parameters of the card, but it's a little too hot for my taste. Also, the fan is EXTREMELY loud! I got this model because the price was right, and I tend to trust the Asus brand even though I probably shouldn't. I purchased a GXChilla aftermarket cooler for the card after reading a review which showed a 50% drop in temperatures and a noted drop in noise level, <20db. :eek:

I installed the aftermarket cooler which cost about $22 US. My temps are now less than 40 C at idle and less than 50 C under heavy load. And the fans are much quieter than the stock ones. :D

So, in summary, you can get the stock cooling system, just plan on spending an extra $20-$30 on a new cooling solution. This is probably not as cost effective as buying the HSI or the MSI models which have a nicer cooling method as is.