Steener

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I built my new computer on an ASUS M378-VM board, with a Phenom 9500 CPU. I installed a SATA HDD for storage and my old 80 GB IDE drive with the Windows XP O/S.

I have 2 issues:

1) How do I get it to boot-up to the IDE drive? On boot, it defaults to the IDE drive as C: but then gives me the Blue Screen of death. The format is FAT 32.

I am wondering if I need to reformat the IDE drive to NTSF, but when I installed Windows XP on the SATA drive (NTFS format) it will boot up and recognize the IDE drive FAT32 files. I don't want to go through reinstalling all my programs again if I can help it.

2) If there is a way of transferring O/S & sys registry to the SATA drive I could live with that but even with the boot sequence set to the SATA drive, on reboot it still defaults to the IDE drive.

Suggestions would be much appreciated... solutions even more so! ; )

heffalump

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Try booting from your WinXP install disc and doing a repair installation. This should hopefully give you the right HAL, which is probably what your problem is.

With some more info it might be possible to just boot into the recovery console (using your WinXP install disc) and just copying a few files...