Sign in with
Your question

Intake/Exhaust

Last response: in Overclocking
June 24, 2010 8:17:07 AM

Hello,

My computer has three spots to mount a fan: the front, the side, and the back. It's my understanding that the best cooling for this setup is intake on the front/side, and exhaust on the back.

My problem is, I can't wrap my head around which is intake and which is exhaust. I'll probably wake up in the morning and smack myself for not being able to figure it out. But, in the meantime, would what I described above be this?

More about : intake exhaust

June 24, 2010 10:01:51 AM

I don't really understand your picture, but:
- intake = a fan that brings air from outside the case.
- exhaust = a fan that pushes air out of the case.

So, generally, you want an intake in the lower front of the case and an exhaust at the upper back.
This way, the "cold" air gets inside the case from the front, passes around the components, and the "warm" air leaves the case through the back.

The side intake is usually there for more air to the CPU and GPU area. Some cases have a duct mounted there. Also, some "warm" air is pushed out by the power supply.
m
l
June 24, 2010 10:11:35 AM

Edit: What I figured would happen did happen, after some sleep I think I've got it now. Thanks for the response. :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 10:25:28 AM

Warm air moves out of the case. From that picture I can see both your case fans are exhausting air. You should take the front fan and flip it.
m
l
!