Ga-ex58-extreme average temperature ????

dcataldo

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Ok my question is what’s an average temperature for the extreme motherboard running on air cooling. these are my specs:
ga-ex58-extreme
i7 920 (stocker fan)
SUPER TALENT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB running in RAID 0
2x 8800GTX in SLI
2x LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution

I am using Lavalys EVEREST Ultimate Edition to monitor my temps so running at idol my cpu idols around 25 deg Celsius and the motherboard and Northbridge are at 55. Then I ran prime95 for about an hr cpu hit about 65deg Celsius and motherboard and NB hit around 60.

I added few more fans to my case: 3 on the side as intake the top as exhaust and another one in the front as intake as back as exhaust. As well reapplied article silver # 5 to Northbridge

My PC runs fine I am just curious to see what the average temps of the motherboard are. I found an article that some over clocked the 920 to 4.0ghz and his temps we half of mine.

bilbat

Splendid
First obvious problem is: "(stocker fan)."
The included Intel coolers are marginal; anything you buy aftermarket will at least double or triple the cooling capacity.

dcataldo

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Funny you say that because yesterday i bought Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler Noctua HeatSink and it dropped my CPU by 10deg but my NB and mobo still the same. So my question is whats the average temp for extreme mobo

gbinf-kdover

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I have the same board i used the crappy watercooled nb and it made no diffrence if i used the silly heatpipe exchange with or on its own it made it run 4 degrees hotter as it was soaking heat from gpu . I was at similar temps with mb and nb as yourself and i had watercooled cpu . I decided to buy the ek mosfet nb/sb set that did manage to change temps but nothing spectacular to be honest but i have my 940@4ghz it was on stock speeds then i was getting them temps now it has higher voltages on nb etc and i am getting idle temps of 36oC on nb and once it has had load for a while it rises 10oC and sticks at that temp i will say tho it has made no diffrence watsoever to the mb temp it may be that the sensor is directly next to pci-e or summat because im sure its the cards doing this to the mb temp, sli 280 stock coolers get rather hot these will be liquid cooled also next month hopefully so i will let u no if that makes a diffrence for me, i bloody hope so because i even tried more fans which made about a 1-2 degree diffrence it does seem hot for tho mb@60oc on load . Another thing b4 i 4get the original chipset cooler especicially the sb area is a terrible design if u ever come to pull it off you will see wat i mean 1 little crappy flattened heat pipe connected to copper base the ultra durable is just a crappy ali shroud .

dcataldo

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
gbinf-kbdover Thanks for replay I just bought the coolermaster haf (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160) and it droped my nb mb by 10deg so idols around 50. When i got prime95 the temps for mb and nb went up 5 deg so both were at 55. I also jsut installed AC filters on my case to stop dust from coming in my case and i ran prime95 for about 2hrs temps went up 5deg (which is ovious bc i have the filters on). My cpu with Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 temps stay at 40 on idol and 45 on load. The mobo and NB hit about 56-60 with prime running (920 @3.5ghz) all on air by way so i assuming this is average. Let me know if you get any updates. Thanks for replay again.