Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU Cooler for me?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 24, 2010 8:12:55 PM

Hello

You can see my machine below, and I was wondering what the best cpu cooler would be for it. I was looking at the Spire Thermax Eclipse II, but my God that looks giant, and I haven't the smallest idea of whether or not it would fit (155x132x125mm) If it would, I would probably go for that, so please tell me if it could fit my case. (Noise doesn't really matter much to me, my 3 120mm fans and gtx 275 at 75% already make plenty noise)

If it wouldn't fit, what cpu cooler would be best worth investing? I plan on overclocking it, the actual amount dependent on my results with the new cooler.

I can't find my case online at the moment, but the dimensions are:
200mm wide x 480mm long x 430mm high.

Next to the CPU cooler is a side fan that takes off about 35mm in width. I will gladly remove that fan if I will get better temps without it (my system has no problem staying cool with an overclock, just the CPU)

Thanks in advance

More about : cpu cooler

June 24, 2010 9:30:11 PM

bump because I don't want a molten liquid silicon goop when I choose my cooler and OC with it :( 
m
l
a c 98 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 10:26:22 PM

The case dimensions minus the side fan determines what size cooler you can fit in. A factor to consider is the turbulence created by having the side fan too close to the cooler. I don't think that it would be a good idea to remove the side fan; will make the cooling worse.

A good way to check would be to use a wood ruler and measure the distance from the CPU heat spreader to the edge of the case, and deduct the case fan width. This would give you the max dimension of the cooler. For Megahalem or the Hyper 212 this dimension should be about 160mm.

What is the make and model of your computer case?
m
l
Related resources
a c 98 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2010 12:15:20 AM

This is a nice case - just about any cooler should fit in this. You may have a clearance issue if you have RAM with tall heat spreaders (heatsinks).

Set the mobo in place and measure to check on how much room you have. This will prevent surprises. I think you will do fine with most coolers (except for RAM clearance)
m
l
June 25, 2010 12:40:09 AM

Ubrales said:
This is a nice case - just about any cooler should fit in this. You may have a clearance issue if you have RAM with tall heat spreaders (heatsinks).

Set the mobo in place and measure to check on how much room you have. This will prevent surprises. I think you will do fine with most coolers (except for RAM clearance)

Thank you so much for your input! That was a question I have had for a long time. Much appreciated!
m
l
!