Hard Drives vs. SSD Drives

icemanind

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I am in the process of putting together plans to build myself a new system for at home. What I am thinking of doing is buying 2 Solid State Drives and 1 hard drive. My plan is to store the Operating System on one SSD and my program files on the second SSD and store my data and other stuff on the hard drive.

What I am wondering though, is I heard SSD drives have a very short life span and that when they do crash, there is 0% chance of data recovery.

What do you guys think? should I go Solid State or just stick to regular hard drives?

Also, to let you guys know, I typically leave my computer on all the time, 24/7. I rarely shut it down.

icemanind

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Well short in comparison to normal hard drives.

If you read the article at the link that I provided, you'll probably come to the conclusion that an SSD can last for a relatively long time. Buy larger SSD drives than you really need and they should last longer. Regardless of storage technology, you need to perform backups on a regular basis.

A tape drive can be expensive if it needs to store all that data on one cartridge. Will you have 2TB of incompressible data? Probbaly not. External hard disks should meet your requirements.