Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Choosing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2009 8:44:21 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to upgrade some of my components and I'm a little stuck (ok, a lot stuck) on which Graphics Card to choose.

I did pick up the BFG Geforce 9800 GTX+ OC 1GB for $250 but it's still sitting in the box. I'm not sure if
I should have gotten something different?

I'll be upping my Memory to 3GB's......and my primary hard drive will be the WD VelociRaptor 300GB.....

Please help me, I'm itching to play Crysis and Assassin's Creed!

Thanks...
Gadget G

More about : choosing

a c 130 U Graphics card
February 4, 2009 9:00:33 PM

Ok so what are the rest of your system specs and why do you think you need a differant card ? What monitor size/resolution do you use ?

Mactronix
February 4, 2009 9:30:27 PM

Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
XP sp2
AMD 64 X2 Dual 4200+ 2.2Ghz
1GB RAM
Samsung T220 1680x1050
*current card* nvidia geforce 7600 gs

I don't know that I need a different card than the one just picked up but I just want to make sure it will do justice to the games. I played Bioshock with my current config. it did ok, but it did freeze up from time to time. I've been going back & forth between 9800 gtx+ oc 1gb and the gtx 260 (216core).....hoping to make the right choice.

Thanks..

Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 4, 2009 9:35:48 PM

Ok well to be honest the card wont be the problem your CPU is a bit on the slow side and while you probably wont actually notice it it will probably restrict your GPU's Max FPS, I only mentioned it before someone else did its not the end of the world though.
You do really need more Ram though get another 1gb or even buy a matched pair if you can afford it and run them in dual channel mode,

Mactronix
February 4, 2009 9:46:51 PM

Ok, thanks! yeah I picked up the additional RAM. I'll be stepping up to 3GB of Ram.

I didn't want to overhaul the entire system, so I was hoping I might get a little better game (& overall) performance with a better primary HD, increased Ram, and better GPU. And with running them in dual channel mode as you suggested you think that will give me better performance?

Mactronix....thanks for you help.
February 4, 2009 10:35:34 PM

invisik.... yeah, I wasn't sure if I was spending too much. If I can save money but get a better card that would be great!
I don't know if I can use that card. my mobo is a nvidia chipset. Does that make a difference?
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2009 10:50:30 PM

That card i recommend is 30-50% faster if not more for a lot less $. =]
It doesnt matter if its a single gpu setup (1 card) or are you planning to do sli or crossfire(more then 1 card)?
February 4, 2009 10:53:53 PM

no just a single setup........
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2009 11:00:16 PM

Then your fine the 4870 should work fine. =]
February 4, 2009 11:22:40 PM

thanks invisik!!
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 5, 2009 7:04:36 AM

Nice find invisik, must admit im not up on the latest pricing.

@ GoGoGadget
Just to say that if you intend to run dual chanel with 3 GB you will need to run a 2x1gb and then 2x512gb configuration, you may know this already just thought i would mention it.

Mactronix
February 5, 2009 7:52:19 PM

@ invisik... with a $250 budget do you think I can get a ATI card with 1GB of Memory?

What do you think of this card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Do you think I should consider a different card? Or just stick with the original card you mentioned?

@ Mactronix...no actually I didn't know that concerning the dual channel setup. I currently have 3x1GB modules, so will I be able to do the 2x512mb, does that mean I need get (2)521mb modules or should I pick up another 1gb module and do (2) 2x1gb?

I guess I should also consider changing my OS to Vista so I can utilize 4gb, if I do get another 1gb module.

Yes please throw out any thoughts/ideas, I need all the help I can get. I appreciate it!

Thanks!
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 5, 2009 8:12:14 PM

If it was me i would be switching to Vista 64bit as this would allow for the extra Ram. Then you could run 4GB 4x1gb (if they work in dual channel mode) they usually need to be matched to work but you could be lucky.
If you stick with a 32bit OS you will be limited to 4GB, your GPU would use 1gb for a start so you would have at most 3GB and it may not see all of that either.

Mactronix
February 5, 2009 9:16:10 PM

I'll grab the extra Gig of Ram. I'll get the same one so it will work with the others.

& yes, I think I am going to break down and switch to Vista...I guess I've been afraid that some of my programs wouldn't be compatible w/Vista.

GoGoGadgetG
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 8:00:12 AM

Depends on your budget really but i really prefer the HIS ICEQ TURBO card. Is it worth the extra $70 or so well thats for you to decide. Both the cards you linked to are also from HIS, the referance Radeon version will probably run quite hot and im slightly worried the other has no reviews.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2009 1:43:51 AM

+1
4870 1gig is a excellent card!
=]
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 7, 2009 6:50:09 AM

Looks good to me :) 

Mactronix
February 7, 2009 1:21:58 PM

Thank you!!