Looking for a socket 775 with ddr3 support

rathgor

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hey everyone,

Glad to be part of this community, just joined. been seeing it come up often in my research....

Which comes to my question.

I'm looking for a mini board (matx) socket 775 (including the 45nm) motherboard that supports DDR3 with at least support up to 8 gigs with a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. I'm not a bit of a budget but also want something that will last the test of time. I'm a big fan of Asus but am willing to look at other options. I want something i can overclock when the CPU starts to show age before upgrading to a LGA 1366 in 2+years from now. SLI is not imperative....

Oh and extra features are always nice

I've been considering other boards but they do not support DDR3
P5Q-em

Any help is much appreciated, this community seems to be very active and helpful.

rathgor

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
i did mean DDR 3 for the motherboard not the card. I know that the 790i also supports 3 way sli which is extreme. thats where the added cost comes from I'm sure.

Used motherboards makes me REAL nervous.

Intel DP45SG
&
Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR

is another motherboard i was looking at. it seems to have specs i want but I'm not so sure about intel or about the features that seem to be minimal and I've had issues with Gigabyte before

I'm just getting desperate is all

rathgor

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
thanks for the advice. I'm still thinking of sticking with the P5Q-EM mobo for the time being. I'm building a new PC at a bad time. The i7s are too expensive still. I'm doing this during a major chipset transition

rathgor

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I'm thinking the DDR3 because although it hasn't been fully implemented I'm hoping/assuming that it eventually will be.

Maybe you're all right and i should give up on this whole idea.

I'm thinking the ASUS P5Q-em.

If there are any objections let me know. I haven't built a system for over six years so needless to say a lot has changed.

Thanks for your help guys.

rathgor

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
yes, the p5q-EM is a mini board. I've heard good things about the onboard audio.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2365

I'm thinking that i could use the two pci express for an x-fi and a raid controller and use the pci slot for a wireless network card.

My new concern now is the size of the newest video cards. Is a modern video card going to block one of my already lacking pci slots?

I might have to forgo either the raid controller or the x-fi and stick with the onboard.

any ideas?

dmv915

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Fyi you're already going to have a pretty small pool of good matx lga775 boards with ddr2. I doubt you will have much luck finding decent matx boards with ddr3 and lga775. If you're willing to be flexible the dfi lanparty jr is a good board and can overclock like a beast.

rathgor

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
so I checked out a review on Bit-tech.net and It's a beautiful board. my concern now is that the PCIe 2.0 slots are "hard locked" to run at 8x. which makes the performance lack a little.

By the way everyone you're all helping with my decision a GREAT deal and i appreciate every minute you guys spend helping me with this project.

I also forgot to add another question that I've come across. Does PCIe x16 also mean by default that it's PCIe 2.0?

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

A pcie 2.o is twice as fast as a pcie 1.0 so if the 16x slot is locked to 8x it would be the same as having a 16x 1.0 slot, which means little to no performance hit.

Not all pcie is 2.0, soon it will be, but there are still a lot of older boards out there.

rathgor

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
so if i use a board with PCIe 2.0 at 16x and use a 9800gtx+ it will be more or less comperable to having a sli board with 2x PCIe 2.0 at 8x?

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
yes the bandwidth of a pcie 16x is the same as 2 8x, assuaging they are all either 1.0 or 2.0.

A 2.0 slot has twice the bandwidth of a 1.0, with the same number of lanes.

Only the very best cards at the moment can saturate a 16x 1.0 slot. And even those cards only gain a few fps by switching to a 2.o slot.