Sign in with
Your question

Boycott WD!

Last response: in Storage
July 8, 2010 10:29:27 PM

Boycott WD! They have marketed WDxxEARS drives and they have a notorious rep for load cycle counts or in other words, parking heads continuously (reports of every 8 seconds).

They do NOT support Green drives. If you request support for disabling the count/parking heads, they ignore you. There's many reports on this.

WDxxEARS drives have horrible reviews on newegg and other review sites.

I didn't buy one but I have recommended them before but now I change my mind.

WD doesn't deserve the business. They ignore consumers who buy their products and don't support their products.

Choose another manufacturer. Other companies will move to the 4kb-sector drives so no need to go to that system yet.

There's so many complaints and questions on how to configure these drives but does WD try to assist? NO. Check the WD Support forums for how frustrated WD buyers are.

DO NOT BUY WD!

The other problem is the alignment deal but this at least has some solutions that don't require a manual.

But, the parking heads requires you hunt down all the instructions and WD does not lift a finger to help. In fact, you have to use WDIDLE3 application that they don't even tell you that it can be used for Green drives. THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR THEIR GREEN DRIVES WHATSOEVER.

You're on your own and if you don't use WDIDLE3, your drive will be on its way to early failure.

More about : boycott

a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 1:39:03 AM

Nice of you to bring the issue to public notice.. I too do not recommend WD hard drives to anyone personally.. All because I've had the maximum bad luck while using them (both personally and/or with my friends builds).. You might not believe but had a 80+% failure rates.. However, i'd accept the fact that there are loads of satisfied users and many of the many of the WD series are very highly rated by top PC hardware review sites.. I guess its good to share experience but making it an imposition is not healthy and never recommended..
m
l
July 9, 2010 1:55:39 AM

I would like to know who these satisfied customers are. How long have they used the drives?

I just think it's pretty bad that WD has these drives all over the market. They're everywhere but there is no support for them despite all these 'features' which are problematic and require a lot of hands-on tweaking by the user/owner.

If you try to obtain support via WD, they will send you off with a worthless email (from what I've read) and ignores any request for support.

I am looking for a storage drive and I'm thinking these 'Green' drives are of bad design (others are saying so) and I am wondering why the only drives easily available are WD Greens and maybe some Seagates.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 2:12:34 AM

You may search the entire forum and find very many who are satisfied with their WD drives.. As i said before, i too have had a bad past experience with them.. I personally have a single Hitachi 250 GB SATA hard drive.. Recently i read in a thread about Hitachi drives being the worst with reliability.. My drive however is serving me well from the past 5 years in which I've changed 2 builds but kept the hard drive constant.. Your post is however not related to performance and reliability but rather support.. I cannot comment on that as i have stopped using/recommending WD hard drives and when i did also, i never cared to go till support.. I just used to get them replaced from my dealer.. I hope few others care to put their experience and opinions on the thread so that we obtain a more clearer picture..
m
l
July 9, 2010 4:25:38 AM

Canuck1 said:
I would like to know who these satisfied customers are. How long have they used the drives?

My 1TB 'Green' drive has over 10,000 hours, the 1.5TB is approaching 7,000 hours and the 2TB is approaching 2,000 hours. No complaints at all other than that the 2TB drive reports 512 byte sectors when it's really 4k so Linux formatting tools that would otherwise just work require manual intervention.

Given that the 1.5TB drive has a total of 16 load cycles in nearly 7,000 hours I can only conclude that most people who complain about these drives repeatedly unloading the heads don't know what they're talking about.
m
l
July 13, 2010 4:05:05 AM

hmmmm, I have several of the WD Green drives in a RAID 5 setup that I am working on bringing online. However, I'm not sure what you mean by head parking, widdle3, and what's going on with WD and their apparent lack of support. It's my understanding that the head parks when the unit spins down ie for power down. Is something else going on here?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 13, 2010 8:13:22 AM

The green drives spin down after a period of inactivity to conserve power. That's what green drives do, and that's why you buy one. If you don't like it, don't buy a green drive.

I'm sorry, but telling someone to boycott a drive because it's doing what it was designed to just isn't very credible, IMHO.
m
l
a c 372 G Storage
July 13, 2010 3:56:00 PM

Quote:
I didn't buy one but I have recommended them before but now I change my mind.

If you try to obtain support via WD, they will send you off with a worthless email (from what I've read) and ignores any request for support.

This is all second hand info. Most people write to support forums to gripe, not to praise. All the hard drive manufacturer forums are cluttered with complaints. I'm not saying WD green drives aren't bad, but at some point every manufacturer goes through quality control issues.

I have many WD drives that are 5+ years old and are still going strong.
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:40:49 PM

Been in the support field for 10 years...And i can't say i've ever had trouble with any brand really more then another (outside of a bad batch of 30gb maxtors we got...which were all warrantied years ago...had some hitachi 10k scsi drives we had issues with as well at one point [i think it was hitachi...eh too many years]). I've had a 100gb wd go bad, replaced it with a 120 under warranty, it's still running and has been for 5 years or so (mb its 4 years...). My original raptor is still going...36 gb, still good for an OS disk heh. ;-) I've heard a lot of bad things about my samsung 500gb drives, but i've got 4 of them in raid 5 in one of my home machines, and they've been going strong for...3 years now?
m
l
July 15, 2010 6:31:40 PM

I've had a Maxtor drive years ago that was DOA and I've had a Samsung 120 gig SATA die on me.

Beyond that I've used both Seagate and WD's without ever having an issue. Right now in my current box I am running 2 1TB WD Blacks and the other 120 gig Samsung that I pulled from my old box (that I know have double backups of just in case that drive goes on me too).

Granted the first Samsung probably had at least 8000 hours on it before dying...in all honesty that is a very conservative number though, I would put it closer to 11k.
m
l
July 15, 2010 6:34:52 PM

MarkG said:
My 1TB 'Green' drive has over 10,000 hours, the 1.5TB is approaching 7,000 hours and the 2TB is approaching 2,000 hours. No complaints at all other than that the 2TB drive reports 512 byte sectors when it's really 4k so Linux formatting tools that would otherwise just work require manual intervention.

Given that the 1.5TB drive has a total of 16 load cycles in nearly 7,000 hours I can only conclude that most people who complain about these drives repeatedly unloading the heads don't know what they're talking about.

Mark are those just estimates, or do you actually use a tool to keep track of the actual hours? I'd be interested in using a tool to extract that information if there is such a tool. I have hard drives that i've moved from system to system over the years heh, it'd be interesting (well...to me anyway) to see how many "hours" i've put in on them.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 16, 2010 5:25:23 PM

apesoccer said:
Mark are those just estimates, or do you actually use a tool to keep track of the actual hours? I'd be interested in using a tool to extract that information if there is such a tool. I have hard drives that i've moved from system to system over the years heh, it'd be interesting (well...to me anyway) to see how many "hours" i've put in on them.
Really old drives may not support it, but all modern drives (roughly within the last decade) record SMART data which can be accessed by utilities such as "DiskCheckup". Those utilities display the counters maintained by the drive, including power-on hours and power cycle counts as well as the various error counters.
m
l
July 16, 2010 11:26:19 PM

apesoccer said:
Mark are those just estimates, or do you actually use a tool to keep track of the actual hours?

That's what's reported by smartctl on Linux, which queries the drives' stored data. I have similar software on Windows but I don't remember what it's called because I don't boot into Windows much anymore.
m
l
!