Windows won't go into standby

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am running windows xp home edition on my laptop and until a few months back, I could easily put the system on standby mode (used to occur automatically when the laptop lid was closed). Now, I can't even get it to enter standby mode from the "turn-off computer" menu; the option is there but is shaded out and cannot be clicked. Someone told me it has to do with my drivers, but I haven't updated any drivers at all... can someone help me out here?

afaik, there are various programs that can disable standby since they need to be running all the time and standby would prevent them from functioning correctly.

As far as updating goes, make sure you update your windows, none of the drivers directly affect the standby mode unless one of your hardware components has developed a fault and cannot go into standby, in which case updating the drivers won't help.

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

So how can I find out these programs that disable standby? Is there a tool for it? What about if it is a hardware issue? How can I tell whether it is a hardware fault or something to do with programs?