Advice on $1250 build

I have no problem with the case, GPU, or CPU cooler.

If you really want to go AMD, you need to wait until the next round of Phenoms comes out. Any Phenom you buy today is just plain slow compared to Intel.

Have a look at the guide in my sig.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I was going to go intel until i was told that AMD are almost as good but twice as cheap. First time build so don't have a pref for either.

Also one thing i didn't mention is that this is a BUDGET GAMING machine. I was told that the GPU was the most important part and since it was budget that AMD was the best choice since the CPU doesn't matter that much for gaming.

If by budget gaming rig you mean $600 or less, then AMD is OK.

AMD has no advantage over Intel if you are planning to spend at least $100 on a CPU.

Let me spell it out:

AMD Phenom 9850 - $170 and any overclock you manage will improve performance perhaps 5%.

Intel Q6600 - $180 and will easily overclock far beyond stock. Probably a 25-33% gain in performance.

Even on your system, most games will run 5-10 FPS slower on the AMD at stock speeds.

The new AMD Phenom II 940: Slightly faster than the Q6600 for around 90 dollars more. Will probably overclock at least as well as the Q6600. Cannot compete with an actual fast Intel CPU such as the i7 920, which costs about the same as the Phenom II.