CPU fan error...ASUS P6T

agsteague

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Hi all,

I just recently built a Core i7 based PC using the ASUS P6T mobo and a Xigmatek Dark Knight 120mm CPU cooler. The build posted fine and all my fans (including the CPU fan) were working well for 2 days of gaming (CPU 45C idle, 60C load). However, last night I shut the computer down and when I booted the computer up this morning I got a "CPU fan error, press F1 to proceed". My CPU fan is no longer spinning and my CPU temps climbed about 10C. I shut the computer down and rechecked that the power cable was plugged correctly into the CPU fan port on the mobo, and it seemed like it was. I have since left the computer off so as to prevent damage to the CPU.

I have read some on other forums of people getting this error, but their CPU fans typically still work. Do you think this is a broken fan or a busted port on the mobo or a problem with a sensor or the BIOS? It makes little sense to me, seeing as how it worked well for two days. However, this is my first build ever, so any hints you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Try removing CMOS battery and putting it back. Check for any bent pins. TRy the fan on a different mobo. If its still doesn't work, just get a molex fan and use it with the Xigmatek.

I use a molex with my Ultima 90 and its great. I never drop below 40 - distance to tj max. Idle 60 - D to TJ max