Sign in with
Your question

Boot disk failure

Last response: in Storage
July 9, 2010 12:58:23 AM

Ok I am getting the error Boot disk failure insert disk. Something just like that. I just installed a new graphics card and a PSU. I have a big cable from the PSU to the mother board, a 4 pin cable to the mother board, a black ended cable to the dvd drive and another cable to the hard drive. I think its 4 pin but idk. It connects to the spot with the 8 dots. There is also a red cable from my hard drive to the mother board. But I cannot boot the system I get an error. My drive is not even recognized in the bios... What could be wrong here everything seems correct?

More about : boot disk failure

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 1:25:37 AM

Boot into the BIOS, and make sure the hard drive is selected as the first boot device. Make sure the cables to and from the hard drive are secure. If the hard drive still isn't recognized, it's likely dead.
July 9, 2010 1:40:09 AM

how could it just die out of no where. It worked fine right before I changed everything.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 1:44:46 AM

Hardware can die at any time. It can be from simple defects, static, or a number of other things.

Tap the delete key on startup to access the BIOS. Make sure the hard drive is the first boot device. The delete key is usually the key to enter the BIOS.
July 9, 2010 1:52:52 AM

my HDD is even showing up in the bios. It shows drives and the DVD drive is the only thing on there. I can't believe that this just randomly happened. Every cable is secure. Is the red cable and the connector to the power supply all that needs to be plugged in to it?
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 1:57:25 AM

Yes.

Is AHCI enabled? All the SATA options enabled? If not, enable them.
July 9, 2010 2:08:35 AM

I enabled them. My thing says RAID but can be changed to IDE or AHCI. I tried both and no luck. I'm pretty mad I got a new card and power supply and now my PC doesn't even work.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 2:11:52 AM

RAID is only if you're going to run a RAID array, which i doubt you are. AHCI is what you want for a SATA drive.

Try the hard drive in the motherboard SATA port that the DVD drive is connected to.
July 9, 2010 2:19:45 AM

I tried that and it failed too. RAID is the default setting for my system but it still didn't work. Is a new hard drive the only way to fix this or what? And will it fix it for sure or should i do something else?
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 3:24:31 AM

You tried the drive in a known working port. You've enabled AHCI. You've checked the boot order. You've made sure the connections were secure. The only thing left to try, is swapping cables. Unplug the DVD drive cables, and plug them into the hard drive.
July 9, 2010 8:19:24 PM

I tried that and it didn't work either. So if I buy a new Hard drive what will I have to do to make it work on my PC?
July 9, 2010 9:39:40 PM

New hard drives should just work straight in the machine. The only exception to this is the old PATA drives which require you to set the jumpers depending the setup it will be in (e.g. Master, Slave, Cable Select). SATA drives go straight in, plug and play from the physical aspect.

Once plugged in you will need to format the hard drive and partition it but this can be settled when you install Windows from scratch. Don't forget that some hard disk controllers (esp on high end motherboards) may require you to load some drivers before the hard disk is seen in the Windows setup. A common misconception when a new SATA hard drive is installed esp in Windows XP is that because XP hasn't detected the hard drive, the hard drive must be faulty. Not so - XP just hasn't seen that a SATA controller exists, and you need to point it to that direction. Once you have done that, then you can proceed with installation on the new hard drive.

In XP this can be done at the prompt when it says "Press F6 to load Third Party etc etc". This will then ask you to insert a floppy disk with the necessary drivers on it (the floppy disk will come with your motherboard, or you may need to use another computer and the Motherboard CD-ROM to create this yourself.

In Windows 7 and Vista, luckily, you can load the drivers off your motherboard's CD-ROM (if you have multiple optical drives) or you can even load them off a USB key.

Good luck with the installation.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 9:42:50 PM

Once you get a new hard drive, you'll just need to set the first boot device as the DVD drive. XP SP2 and beyond have SATA support, so no 3rd party driver should be needed. You'll just need to boot off the disc, and follow the format/install instructions.
July 9, 2010 9:43:54 PM

Ok thanks very much seems easy enough. So I just put in the driver cd for the New Hard drive and install them and then fresh install windows? I will be using Windows 7 on this hard drive. And will this work its a good deal to me

If not suggestions please? thanks
July 10, 2010 9:56:29 PM

The Hard drive doesnt come with a Driver CD. Just plug the hard drive in and follow the installation instructions.

If you need any drivers it will be for the controller that the hard drive plugs into - just follow instructions as you need
!