Need new motherboard, dunno what to get

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I resently got EVGA GeForce 9800gtx from newegg. It was huge, cannot fit in my computer due to motherboard is small. Lucky I got another case, a full tower case with MSI motherboard. AMD Athlon 64x2 processer, 1gb of ram (dunno what kind of ddr it is) and unknown gpu/cpu.

Here my rig on my old computer.
500 watts powersupply
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
2048mb (2gb) ddr dual ram
geforce 6600gt (backup)

I'm going take my power supply, harddrive, maybe memory ram, and processer to my full tower.

The question is what kind of motherboard should I get for this kind of rig. I want make sure that this graphic card will fit in the motherboard. Here my picture of my full tower case. As can you see, the graphic card is sitting right top on the gpu. Not a good thing. PLUS, I hate that motherboard, too much problems with it. Keeps shutting down for no reason, I tried replacing fans, updated driver, switch wiring. Nothing.....

Anyways, what kind of good motherboard would be perfect for EVGA 9800gtx?

x5qql3.jpg

29bj213.jpg

2rpvg1u.jpg

rco4zl.jpg

w9z5si.jpg

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It's not a GPU, but a chipset cooler with small custom fan, that your video card is on top off. It's most likely a poor motherboard design, when video cards were not as large as they are today.

You should be able to fit just about any ATX or mATX motherboard on that case.

What else are you looking for in a motherboard? You plan on going SLI in the future? You want 2 PCIe slots? AMD chipset or Nvidia chipset? There's alot of options out there. What type of games you plan on playing? What other software you use and do besides gaming?

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I'm always thinking about SLI setup with liquid cooling system but I doubt that will ever happen, EVER. well not now, but maybe in 2 years or so when I HAVE money.

I'm always AMD and Nvidia supporter, always. Not a fanboy but I just love their products. :)

I play mostly games. right now I'm playing cod:waw, starcraft, battleforge.
I am planning on getting fallout 3 and crysis. I'm not a pc gamer but a lot lately, I been playing a lot on my pc. Usually I focus on 360.

I'm a multimeida artist that uses cinema 4d, maya, photoshop, coral painter, and after effects.

So what kind of motherboard can I get? I went though 15-20 different kind of motherboard and none of them will work due to my graphic card.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I don't think it's your motherboard. As all ATX form factor motherboards are built the same, and PCIe slots are all the same. So if the video card doesn't fit, then either the case is causing it or the motherboard is not aligned with the mounting holes on the motherboard. Causing a skew or misalignment with the expansion slots.

You may want to reseat the motherboard.

Also looking at your board design, it looks like a socket 939 motherboard. I'm not sure if your processor would work with a socket 940 AM2+ motherboard.

I would wait till you have enough funds for an AM3 motherboard, AM3 CPU and DDR3 memory, to make a full switch.

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
My motherboard in my old computer was small and graphic card is not fitable. The volts is in the way. That why I went to my other computer which is the pictures that I showed you. It clearly fits but the computer have to much problems. Keeps shutting down/restarting for no reason.

I don't want to buy new processer or anything except the motherboard and maybe ram. I'm very low on money, very low. Damn economy.

I could use that computer and hook it up but like I said, it keeps restarting for no reason and I can't find the problem. I'm guessing it's the motherboard itself is the problem. dunno.

Please explain with AM+ / AM2+ I'm not familar with the terms very well. Is AM2 is like AMD 64x2?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Well you need to identify the actual motherboard you have and the actual processor you have.

Because no one sells socket 939 motherboards new any more, you may find some used or some new on ebay. The large number of new AMD motherboards are based on the socket 940 AM2 or AM2+.

So if you have a socket 939 CPU, it won't work with the newer motherboard.

You can download and use this little program called CPUz to identify your CPU and motherboard.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
GREAATTTT.... Looks like I got 939 socket. :/
check my old computer (pictures above) same thing, socket 939. I guess I'll try fix this motherboard and try find out whats wrong with it even though I can't find the problem.

Well I guess I'll get a new processer, it's pretty cheap and more performance then what I have and new motherboard.