Sign in with
Your question

Short circuiting effect (across the motherboard)

Last response: in Overclocking
June 25, 2010 7:05:10 AM

my thermal compound spilled underneath the i7 processor heat spreader

i wish to know in case if the thermal compound were conducting, and it did short circuited the processor ....could this have a short circuiting effect on other parts connected to the motherboard like the RAM, Graphic Cards and the system bus ?

could they also burn out due to all this.

June 25, 2010 8:05:36 AM

Usually when a short happens, the power supply latches off immediately to protect parts.

Sometimes, though, that does not happen, and then yes, it can blow something else as well.

Aerosol electronic cleaners of the type that do not leave residue would be your best bet for cleaning thermal compound out of a CPU socket.
m
l
June 25, 2010 3:46:46 PM

Mugz said:
Usually when a short happens, the power supply latches off immediately to protect parts.

Sometimes, though, that does not happen, and then yes, it can blow something else as well.

Aerosol electronic cleaners of the type that do not leave residue would be your best bet for cleaning thermal compound out of a CPU socket.

if there's a slightest possibility of a short how long due you think it will take for it to happen , once i start the PC and run it for a few hours.

will it happen only once the processor heats up to a certain temperature,

or it may happen immediately as soon as i switch on the power supply?
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2010 11:46:52 AM

It is an immediate thing.

To get an idea of how long it takes for the PSU to latch off with a short, snap your fingers. Or take a molex power connector and bridge the yellow to the black. Or the red to the black works too. If you do this (or otherwise pick up a short), you will then need to unplug the PSU from the mains for a minute or so to allow it to reset itself.

If your PC starts and runs for any length of time, you do not have a short.
m
l
June 26, 2010 3:08:24 PM

Mugz said:
It is an immediate thing.

To get an idea of how long it takes for the PSU to latch off with a short, snap your fingers. Or take a molex power connector and bridge the yellow to the black. Or the red to the black works too. If you do this (or otherwise pick up a short), you will then need to unplug the PSU from the mains for a minute or so to allow it to reset itself.

If your PC starts and runs for any length of time, you do not have a short.

can the thermal compound melt and fill into the processor socket when the processor really heats up say around 50 degrees to 70 degree centigrade on constant PC running ?
m
l
!