On Intel's website, the max of the CPU case temp is 67.9­°C, the cores 72.9°C, but if the 980X is anything like the i7 900 quad-core series, the absolute maximum before the CPU starts throttling down is 100°C. Try to keep your temperatures below 75°C.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
The 980X throttles back at 100C. Temperature will not be your issue - Intel lists its max voltage at 1.35v. A that voltage you will be able to run near 3.9GHz - tops. I am currently running my 980X at 1.45v and 4.4Ghz and under Prime I peak at 70C (Thermalright 120). With games or other work I rarely hit 60C.

The 980x's run VERY cool, but you will not be able to overclock without exceeding Intels guidelines on voltage to the CPU. If you exceed the voltage the lifespan will be shortened but there is no data on how much.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I don't know why people even bring up the 100c, it would be insane to run your chip until it throttles and would definitely degrade the hell out of it.

Lmeow is correct about Intel's recommended thermal threshold (Low 70's core temp) and it would be a good idea to keep it at or below this mark.

Here is Intel's data sheet you can download that will give you lots of info:
http://www.intel.com/design/corei7ee/documentation.htm

notty22

Distinguished
Here is a review of the stock heat sink on the i7 980x, it has a performance and a quiet setting. Changes the rpm max of the fan.
On quiet with their testing the cores hit 70c, with a 4.2 o/c.
From this article you should be able to decide yourself !
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-DBX-B-CPU-Cooler-Review/1000/1
imageview.php

cbcteaser2

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
hello i have a coolermaster haf 932 case, rampage 3 extreme motherboard, i7 980x with eco alc coolit cooling system, his 5970 graphic card, 850 watt coolermaster silent pro power supply, 80gb intel ssd main hardrive and second drive SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

my room temp is 23c the i7 980x processor temp idle or just sitting on desktop is 36c

from what that review lists the i7 980x included heatsink will keep the temp on idle around 25c

all i am asking is my cooling not working or is the eco alc coolit just trash?

cbcteaser2

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
hello i got a tech to build system so i cant be sure if it is installed right. i have now been told that the i7 980x stock heatsink is better than the eco coolit is this true?

my motherboard has rc tweakit i saved a bunch of data on another computer from the rc diagram set to view the current, voltage and cpu temp can someone look at this data and tell me what you think?

cbcteaser2

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
before i do it i want to know how i can safe guard my system from overheating because i think it might get to hot if i run the test i have pc probe 2 is it like coretemp and from what site should prime 95 be downloaded?

cbcteaser2

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
:pfff:
:pfff:

LOL - If I had knowledge in the PC field I wouldn't waste my time asking questions like this on a forum. The cpu was reaching 96c and 101c for a sec but I turned it off. This was just with one internet page open and the page was this forum. I just purchased a 1000$ chip and dont want to fry it. I'm only on here looking for useful information and I really get annoyed when people post nonsense garble comments that are non productive, so please just go away now :non:.

P.$. Ye$, I'm doing really good in my field$.

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
This post implies that you have much more money than knowledge in PC field.
Isn't it true? All you did is walking into a computer shop and asked for the most expensive CPU without even know anything about it.
You wouldn't even consider to buy it if you know that an OCed 930 performs very similar to OCed 980 in apps that utilize at most 4 cores which is in 99% situations.
Truth is always ugly!

As to your question, the answer is provided here:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47932&processor=i7-980X&spec-codes=SLBUZ
67.9C Tcase, so 980X should be ok as long as it's within about 75C.

P.$. Ye$, you are doing really good in your field$, because you learned very well from your teacher$ without asking them to go away when you knew nothing. Even you could do very well on your own without professor$/doctor$, you wouldn't be able to graduate if you asked them to go away when they criticized you.

cbcteaser2

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Isn't it true? All you did is walking into a computer shop and asked for the most expensive CPU without even know anything about it.
You wouldn't even consider to buy it if you know that an OCed 930 performs very similar to OCed 980 in apps that utilize at most 4 cores which is in 99% situations.
Truth is always ugly!

As to your question, the answer is provided here:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx? [...] odes=SLBUZ
67.9C Tcase, so 980X should be ok as long as it's within about 75C.

P.$. Ye$, you are doing really good in your field$, because you learned very well from your teacher$ without asking them to go away when you knew nothing. Even you could do very well on your own without professor$/doctor$, you wouldn't be able to graduate if you asked them to go away when they criticized you.

LOL - You obviously don't know too much in the PC field either! I researched for almost a week before purchasing this CPU. It is most definitively not the most expensive CPU I could have purchased. I could have purchased the xeon processor for my business, but I will be running some big multi-tasking applications, so I stuck with the i7 980x.

Also, I had my PC put together at a shop, but I did my own research and ordered all the pieces I needed online. ***, after a weeks research I found that most of it is so easy I could have put the whole thing together myself, but I took to a shop to be sure it was done right.

P.$. I wouldn't say GO AWAY to some good constructive criticism, but I found your criticism to be more adjacent to hypercriticism (nonsense nitpicking garble).

cbcteaser2

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Hello again I have my computer back now they tell me the other pc tech store did a very bad job. Issues they found were: extra thermal compound added and the thin plastic layer that covers the copper heatsink was still on under the thermal compound and heatsink was not mounted all the way on, cpu was not getting correct voltages, the sata controller was not set for AHCI mode to allow TRIM and NCQ on the SSD and the worst cable management they had ever seen.

they also suggested that the ram in the system is checked for stability with the cpu and The way the OS was configured, it will need to be reinstalled and optimized for solid state use.

i will be getting them to reinstall all the software on my computer and check the ram to make sure it is all installed correct.

Chathambythesea

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I just got a EVGA mobo X58 SLI 758 and installed the i7 980x

On a tech call to EVGA they noted that the i7 980x should not run
hotter than "68". The little visual display on the mobo says "84". Is that C or F, that little readout of 84 ?

I ask because my i7 980x is running at "84" and I don't want to cook it.
So that "84" must be in F as if it was in C, the liquid cooler
piece atop the psu would be hot to touch and it is not.

I don't over clock, I just edit videos and render them for web and DVDs.

Thanks,

Patrick

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

:lol: , OMG, they left the plastic on the heatsink when they mounted it, NEVER GO THERE AGAIN (as if I have to tell you).

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Download and open up Coretemp or Realtemp to get an idea of what your cpu core temps are, no idea of what your display is stating.

TRENDING THREADS