Sign in with
Your question

Need Help

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2009 1:50:54 PM

I recently built my own computer. This is third one I have built, but the first time I have really run into a problem. The motherboard is not working properly, the pci-e slot for the videocard is busted. The processor obviously is already seated in the motherboard and I have heard from people that if I replace the mottherboard I have to replace the processor to, is this true? Please give me some advice because I would really rather not have to buy a new processor as well. Thanks for you help.

More about : question

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 80 V Motherboard
January 8, 2009 1:54:21 PM

You don't need to replace the CPU also. Just take the CPU out before you RMA the board. What exactly do you mean by "the pci-e slot for the videocard is busted"? Is the slot physically broken, or are you just not getting any video output?
January 8, 2009 2:14:50 PM

When I stick the card in the slot it visibly sags after it is screwed in to the back of the case. Their is visible graphical glitches/lag (I don't know what to call it) in games. The card is a 8800gt and the processor is core 2 duo e8400. I am pretty new to building computers, but I do have a reference point. My brother and I built our computers together with the exact same parts and his doesn't have any problems. I have also updated the video drivers, etc. I really don't know what to do except replace the motherboard.
!