basik

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I recently built my own computer. This is third one I have built, but the first time I have really run into a problem. The motherboard is not working properly, the pci-e slot for the videocard is busted. The processor obviously is already seated in the motherboard and I have heard from people that if I replace the mottherboard I have to replace the processor to, is this true? Please give me some advice because I would really rather not have to buy a new processor as well. Thanks for you help.

You don't need to replace the CPU also. Just take the CPU out before you RMA the board. What exactly do you mean by "the pci-e slot for the videocard is busted"? Is the slot physically broken, or are you just not getting any video output?

basik

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
When I stick the card in the slot it visibly sags after it is screwed in to the back of the case. Their is visible graphical glitches/lag (I don't know what to call it) in games. The card is a 8800gt and the processor is core 2 duo e8400. I am pretty new to building computers, but I do have a reference point. My brother and I built our computers together with the exact same parts and his doesn't have any problems. I have also updated the video drivers, etc. I really don't know what to do except replace the motherboard.