Sign in with
Your question

Can Non BE AMD X2 550 be unlocked?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 25, 2010 4:29:36 PM

Im having trouble finding an answer to this, I currently have a OEM Non Black Edition phenom II X2 550, is it possible for the other 2 cores to be unlocked? or would i have to have a Black Edition to even consider attempting an unlocking the cores? I was also wondering, Since my CPU isnt a Black Edition, Is there an alternate way to OC the processor (if unlocking the cores is unsuccessful)? and answere to these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : amd 550 unlocked

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2010 5:04:51 PM

As far as I am aware the Black edition just means unlocked multiplier and shouldn't make a difference to core unlocking. You can still overclock on the frequency just not the multiplier.
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 286 K Overclocking
June 25, 2010 8:48:54 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

A BE like the X2 550 can be OC, unlock cores and cache. What is the problem? A Phenom II X2 means that with 4 cores enables isn't fully stable.

U can try to enable the hidden cores but that unlock cores doesn't works in all mobos.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
June 29, 2010 2:49:52 AM

All Phenom II X2 processors are Phenom II X4 processors with 2 cores disabled, theoretically they all have the same chance to unlock the other 2 cores.

All processors can be overclocked whether they have the unlocked multiplier or not.
m
l
!