Case Static Help

Datch

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I recently built a new system and am having static issues through the case. The case is an Apevia X-Plorer. If I have an static build up and touch the front panel, either my video card completely turns off or my system reboots. I have tried unplugging the front fan controller, LCD temp gage, USB and Fire wire ports to see if it would stop this issue but it is still occuring. Touching the side or top of the case with a static build up doesn't cause the issue, it appears to be linked to the front. At this point I am wondering if it is best just to replace the case. Any suggestion on how to fix this issue would be appreciated

I had this exact problem with an Apevia X-QPACK2. If my fluffy cat so much as walked past the front of it, the PC reset. I suspect their front panel module (jacks/connectors/etc) is not properly grounded, meaning this could be a universal problem on Apevia cases that use the same or similar modules. I replaced my case, and the problem vanished. It's kind of a shame, because I thought the X-QPACK2 was a great design, but the execution was simply "offal" (in other ways too). With your report of the same kind of issue, I'm thinking I'll need to add ANYTHING Apevia (not just their POS PSUs) to my personal "Do not buy" list.
If you can figure out a way to properly ground the front module(s), you may be able to fix it.

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
possibly try using/butchering a spare psu lead (black one is earth) and attach it to the suspect area . only attach the black cable to the metal area in question , this will in turn earth it through the psu and sort the issue hopefully , on older tagan psu's i remember they had earth cables as a seperate thing.

TRENDING THREADS